Why am I not able to post in particular threads?

• May 3, 2016 at 5:22 am #46871
    DandelionPowderman
    Participant

I know I’m not hot stuff, but at least I should be able to post in the Hot Stuff-thread? 🙂

I log in, and so far everything’s good, and I can post in other threads. But everytime I enter the Hot Stuff-thread, all of a sudden I’m not logged in anymore, and logging in again doesn’t help.

Well, I guess I’m beaten by a bug, or something…

-------------------------------
    My cards are on the table

May 3, 2016 at 7:57 am #46876
    andrew t
    Participant

I think it’s just a slight glitch on the site lately. I get it sometimes when I’m using my old 4S phone with Safari, but I haven’t encountered it when using a desktop. It usually “takes” after two or three tries.

May 3, 2016 at 9:32 am #46880
    Breath
    Participant

today’s tip:  try jiggling the handle 3 times while holding your breath and lifting your right leg. I have found this useful on many occasions.

May 3, 2016 at 10:29 am #46883
    StrongBeach
    Participant

DP–I’ve never noticed it being confined to an indiv thread; that’s interesting.

What happens to me all the time is what we used to call in the good ole “oughts” of web devt a problem with “state:” the site does not seem to recognize whether a user is logged in or not.

This is probably a diff problem but that’s what it behaves like for me. Solution is just hitting “refresh” several times until the site “recognizes” your proper state of being logged in.

I’m sure our intrepid mod will have some helpful hints for us, too.

May 3, 2016 at 11:10 am #46888
    jasona93
    Participant

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right A B A B

May 3, 2016 at 11:31 am #46890
    Cocaine Eyes
    Participant

DP, like LBA said it isn’t just for one thread for me. I have to login, I get kicked out and then I have to login and type in my password. Previously, the site kept my password for me. But hey, it could be worse. I could be “banned for life”. :mrgreen:

~CE

May 3, 2016 at 1:06 pm #46893
    Breath
    Participant

there is actually a case we’ve had here where the poster was sentenced to two lifetime bannings, to be served consecutively.

May 3, 2016 at 1:27 pm #46895
    DandelionPowderman
    Participant

There are two threads where I can’t post, I see now. In those particular threads the system won’t register that I’m logged in. It doesn’t help if I log in ten times or refresh. The problems occur both with my Samsung phone and my laptop 🙂

-------------------------------
    My cards are on the table

May 3, 2016 at 1:39 pm #46896
    Breath
    Participant

here’s the contingency/workaround plan pending issue resolution:

PM the post you can’t post on the thread that you can’t post to to another poster, who will cut and paste that post to the thread and cite the poster in the post as the actual poster of the post.  quite simple, really.

May 3, 2016 at 2:40 pm #46898
    Cocaine Eyes
    Participant

Maybe you should just ban all of us who started a new thread when it wasn’t necessary ………. oh wait, that’s someplace else. Sorry!

~CE (Tod, I tried the upstairs toilet thing and it didn’t help)

May 4, 2016 at 8:59 am #46915
    treaclefingers
    Participant

DP, like LBA said it isn’t just for one thread for me. I have to login, I get kicked out and then I have to login and type in my password. Previously, the site kept my password for me. But hey, it could be worse. I could be “banned for life”. :mrgreen: ~CE

hey look…sure there are new problems, but at least it’s faster.  i’m getting kicked out of threads way faster than ever before.  certainly saves time.

May 9, 2016 at 8:33 am #47083
    andrew t
    Participant

While we’re at it, is it too soon to complain about the new album? I’m not sure I can hold off until the fall.

May 9, 2016 at 8:56 am #47084
    treaclefingers
    Participant

While we’re at it, is it too soon to complain about the new album? I’m not sure I can hold off until the fall.

‘the fall’ happened way back in 1986 my friend.

May 9, 2016 at 11:11 am #47089
    The Snack Machine
    Participant

That was a GREAT tour!

May 10, 2016 at 1:40 am #47118
    Breadth
    Participant

That was a GREAT tour!

That was the only tour they ever did of North Africa, correct?  I think it started in Addis Ababa and there was a two night stint in Fez if memory serves.  Cairo was mind blowing, that whole Pyramid rising out of the centre of the stadium.

God love the ’80s!

May 10, 2016 at 2:43 am #47122
    stonehearted
    Participant

I believe the ’86 tour was done with Chuck Berry. As Keith so famously pointed out, “he [Chuck B.] gave me more headaches than Mick Jagger.” Real dirty work indeed!

May 12, 2016 at 6:20 pm #47190
    Socrates
    Participant

Here’s something that works on my Mac, using Safari: 1) Enter the message board. 2) Log in. 3) Open a new EOMS window from history in the top bar.

Every time I do this, I seem to be logged in and able to post, when I open the new window from history, even if I’m unable to stay logged in on the first window.

It’s weird but it works. It’s like a back door in. Maybe I can explain this better. Just in case somebody doesn’t understand what I’m talking about…

Let’s say there’s a thread called “The Snack Machine.” Imagine seeing this thread on the main board, as you’re looking at EOMS.org (this is before you click, “Enter the message board”). Let’s say it shows Breath was the last poster on that thread, and he posted to the thread three hours ago. However, when you do click “Enter the message board,” it now says Munich Hilton posted on the thread five minutes ago. Yet when you view the thread itself, you only see Breath’s post from three hours ago. This seems to be a common scenario when you’re locked out of a thread.

So, after you click “Enter the message board,” log in. Then open a new EOMS window from your history, and don’t close the old window. You now have the imaginary “Snack Machine” thread opened in a new window. But in the new window, opened from your computer’s history, you can now see the full content of the thread. Just remember to open the second window from history, this step is very important. Am I being confusing? I’m probably overcomplicating it. It’s really very simple.

Imagine the posts on the “Snack Machine” thread going like this: Breath: “This is totally funny.” Munich Hilton: “Yeah, this is the greatest inside joke of all time.” Now, I want to post to the thread and say, “I don’t get it.”

May 12, 2016 at 6:23 pm #47192
    Socrates
    Participant

I just don’t get the Snack Machine joke! Can somebody explain it to me?  😎

May 12, 2016 at 6:51 pm #47196
    Socrates
    Participant

My method just worked every time I tried it. I don’t know if this is a Mac thing or not. But it’s working for me.

This is also important: when you open the first window, and click on: “Enter the message board,” don’t click on a thread. Just stay on the white-looking page, where you can see all the thread titles after you click “Enter the message board.”

Wait until you open the second window, before clicking on a thread from your history. Now I’m probably being more confusing…..

Let’s see if I can distill this whole process down to its essence: 1) When you’re on EOMS, click “Enter the message board.” 2) View a thread that you might be having trouble accessing. 3) Then close the window. Leave the site. 4) Now you have the thread you viewed in your “history” on your computer. 5) Return to EOMS. 6) Click, “Enter the message board.” 7) Log in, but do not click on any threads, after you’ve entered the message board in this first window. Keep this window open. 8) Now open a new EOMS window, while leaving the first window open. 9) Click “Enter the message board” in this new window. 10) View any given thread in your new window. 11) Post at your leisure, as you can now see the full content of any given thread in the new window you’ve just opened.

Btw, I’m not really a computer person, are the “windows” I’m referring to really called “pages”? You know what I mean. Try my method. You’ll be able to post on any thread you want to. Best, Soc

May 12, 2016 at 8:50 pm #47208
    Socrates
    Participant

DP, like LBA said it isn’t just for one thread for me. I have to login, I get kicked out and then I have to login and type in my password. Previously, the site kept my password for me. But hey, it could be worse. I could be “banned for life”. :mrgreen: ~CE

I know we can’t stand each other, but I want to reach out to you. Maybe we can put all of our differences behind us now. I want to give everyone on this site a big virtual hug. There’s no need to hold onto bad feelings. Let’s all forget about deleted threads and shenanigans of the past. I’m having all the same login problems you’re having. If you follow steps 1 through 11, as listed above, I think it will solve your login problems.

If you get bumped off again in the second window, go back through your history and try accessing other threads. Just keep one window open, where you entered the message board and logged in, and access threads through history in your second window. It works for me. I don’t know if it’s a Mac thing or not or what you’re running, but try the two window thing and it I bet it will solve your login problems.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags

Recently Active Members

Profile picture of Marianita
Profile picture of Cocaine Eyes
Profile picture of DandelionPowderman
Profile picture of jasona93
Profile picture of Socrates
Profile picture of stonehearted
Profile picture of angee
Profile picture of OldSoul
Profile picture of keefriffhards
Profile picture of treaclefingers
Profile picture of goo
Profile picture of devdev
Profile picture of StrongBeach
Profile picture of D
Profile picture of Doxa
Profile picture of Z
Profile picture of Nikkei
Profile picture of tauk
Profile picture of Ale Lacasa
Profile picture of Stoneburst
Profile picture of Upgreydd
Profile picture of andrew t
Profile picture of Roll Me
Profile picture of SelenePhoenix
Profile picture of ReginaPhalange
Profile picture of illusion
Profile picture of Ebling
Profile picture of MidnightPeanut
Profile picture of Redhotcarpetred
Profile picture of bluzdude
Profile picture of VT22
Profile picture of detroitken
Profile picture of hwkn
Profile picture of mgarciaisaia
Profile picture of two4fun111
Profile picture of Chris

Mission Statement

This forum is dedicated to an open discussion of all things Rolling Stones.  From new fans to hardcore veterans, everyone is welcome.  Forum is moderated lightly.  The golden rule is in effect. Let the discussions run rampant, as long as personal insults stay at the door!