Where are the demos of Beast of Burden?

• October 11, 2015 at 3:55 am #23103
    OldSoul
    Participant

The Some Girls sessions seem to have the most outtakes of any Stones album/era, with every track having at least one demo circulating, but I’ve never found one of Beast of Burden. The closest we have is the longer 8-track version. But I’d really love to hear the early versions.

The sunshine bores the daylights out of me.

October 11, 2015 at 5:37 am #23104
    Socrates
    Participant

I always thought Keith would’ve done a great vocal on this. What do the experts know about Beast? Is it more of a Keith song or a Mick song or what?

Edit: Just googled “Keith Richards vocal Beast of Burden,” and I guess nobody knows anything about it….

October 11, 2015 at 7:24 am #23113
    Cocaine Eyes
    Participant

I have some info about the song. Keith wrote it after his Toronto troubles. Mick had to change the words so it wasn’t all about how much of a ‘burden’ the drug use was on the band. So Mick made it into a sexy tune – “let’s draw the curtains…..”. In fact (if memory serves) Keith began writing the song in Toronto and then Mick took it for adjustments. The riff, though, is all Keith. One of my all-time fave Stones’ tunes.

As far as the outtakes go, they would be (probably) with Keith as the song was going to be very personal. Like ‘Coming Down Again’ is a personal account of Keith’s life at the time.

~CE 😎 

Attachments:
    October 11, 2015 at 7:32 am #23115
    Socrates
    Participant

Well, thanks very much for the info. I knew I could hear Keith singing that one.

October 11, 2015 at 9:05 am #23124
    Cocaine Eyes
    Participant

Well, thanks very much for the info. I knew I could hear Keith singing that one.

You’re welcome. And you know what – now that you mention it, I think I have a copy (or something??) of Keith doing the song alone. Now PLEASE don’t ask me to find it. It will turn up sometime/somewhere. 😉 Maybe on a long lost bootleg?????

~CE

October 11, 2015 at 9:57 am #23126
    Naturalust
    Participant

There is a lot of good quotes on the timeisonourside site about how this song was written. Keith came up with the chords and only the Beast of Burden line and Jagger took it and wrote all the rest of the lyrics. It is kind of cool to think of Keith singing and playing this one but I’ve got a pretty good feeling that was an unlikely situation since the lyrics, phrasing and song key are pretty much all Mick. CE if you actually think you have such a version it would probably be worth it to spend some time looking for it because it would be somewhat of a holy grail to Stones (and Keith) fans. A couple of the quotes:

<span style=”color: #000000;”>”No, (it’s not about Keith’s heroin situation). I think that’s just made up (laughs). I think that’s rubbish. But you know, it’s so long ago. People, they like to make up stories and whatever, what you believe happened at the time. I could tell you, I could make up all sorts of stuff about how Far Away Eyes was written – it wouldn’t be correct, I’m sure, but it might sound good (laughs).</span>

<b>- Mick Jagger, 2011</b>

<span style=”color: #000000;”>”Beast of Burden, I had no idea how that was going to turn out. To me, it was just a soul song that came out – a part of my heritage. There’s a little bit of blues in there. All I did was throw out the phrase beast of burden to Mick, and I played him the music, and then he took it off by himself and did a beautiful job on it.”</span>

<b><span style=”font-family: Arial, Helvetica;”><span style=”color: #3333ff;”>- Keith Richards, 2011</span></span></b>
    October 11, 2015 at 10:43 am #23131
    Cocaine Eyes
    Participant

There is a lot of good quotes on the timeisonourside site about how this song was written. Keith came up with the chords and only the Beast of Burden line and Jagger took it and wrote all the rest of the lyrics. It is kind of cool to think of Keith singing and playing this one but I’ve got a pretty good feeling that was an unlikely situation since the lyrics, phrasing and song key are pretty much all Mick. CE if you actually think you have such a version it would probably be worth it to spend some time looking for it because it would be somewhat of a holy grail to Stones (and Keith) fans. A couple of the quotes: <span style=”color: #000000;”>”No, (it’s not about Keith’s heroin situation). I think that’s just made up (laughs). I think that’s rubbish. But you know, it’s so long ago. People, they like to make up stories and whatever, what you believe happened at the time. I could tell you, I could make up all sorts of stuff about how Far Away Eyes was written – it wouldn’t be correct, I’m sure, but it might sound good (laughs).</span>

<b>- Mick Jagger, 2011</b>

<span style=”color: #000000;”>”Beast of Burden, I had no idea how that was going to turn out. To me, it was just a soul song that came out – a part of my heritage. There’s a little bit of blues in there. All I did was throw out the phrase beast of burden to Mick, and I played him the music, and then he took it off by himself and did a beautiful job on it.”</span>

<b><span style=”font-family: Arial, Helvetica;”><span style=”color: #3333ff;”>- Keith Richards, 2011</span></span></b>
    NLust : I will not argue with what’s written on Bill’s ‘Time Is On Our Side’ site. It’s a very good site for sure. But I still stand by what I posted here. Let’s not forget that when the Stones (any one of them) writes something for a magazine/whatever they are now wary about reminding folks about the drugs thing. So (in my most humble opinion) the articles you’ve posted have been somewhat sanitised for legal/many reasons.
    People are able to believe whichever version of events they choose to believe. (Sort of like who “Angie’ really is).
    ~CE 💡 
    October 11, 2015 at 11:53 am #23136
    Cocaine Eyes
    Participant

To NLust: I checked out the site you’ve referenced and it’s not the Bill Wyman site (of the same name) that I was thinking about. My mistake. 😳 The site you refer to is managed by fans and that’s cool.

There, I feel better. I hate leaving things unclear!

~CE 💡 

October 11, 2015 at 1:11 pm #23139
    Naturalust
    Participant

Yes CE the timeisonourside site is awesome and a real labor of love. The best source of quotes about the songs and records with plenty of other amazing content like the yearly timeline. It is put together by  Ian McPherson and he has done a great job.

As far as the drugs thing goes, Keith has been so vocal and forthright about all that stuff I don’t see much effort to not remind people of his experiences. In fact it is such a big part of his image he seems to milk it for all he can! He has been asked questions about drugs in just about every interview he’s ever done, jokes about it from various pulpits even when unprovoked. I don’t particularly think he or anyone else is wary of reminding people of the experiment that went on too long. He’s still talking about it 35 years later.

But as far as his idea for the creation of the song, he does say it was based on his feeling he didn’t want to become a burden for the Stones due to his legal and drug issues and that it was Jagger who took the song to a different place and meaning when he wrote the lyrics. So when Jagger says it’s not about Keith’s heroin situation he is obviously being honest  since he wrote the complete lyrics even though Keith’s title line was indeed initially related to it.

Concerning that recording you say you might have heard with just Keith singing it, like I said that would be somewhat of a holy grail to Stones fans and collectors and would be worth looking for if it actually exists.

October 11, 2015 at 1:43 pm #23142
    Cocaine Eyes
    Participant

Quoted from NLust:

But as far as his idea for the creation of the song, he does say it was based on his feeling he didn’t want to become a burden for the Stones due to his legal and drug issues and that it was Jagger who took the song to a different place and meaning when he wrote the lyrics. So when Jagger says it’s not about Keith’s heroin situation he is obviously being honest  since he wrote the complete lyrics even though Keith’s title line was indeed initially related to it.

Concerning that recording you say you might have heard with just Keith singing it, like I said that would be somewhat of a holy grail to Stones fans and collectors and would be worth looking for if it actually exists.”

Thanks for admitting that KR did speak about the song and its theme being about his perhaps being a burden to the future of the Stones. Thanks for admitting that MJ changed the theme/lyrics.

Now about me locating the Keith-alone song – it’s at our Toronto home and I’m not going there for a while. Our Toronto home has three ‘museums’ – Stones’ books, Stones’ music (including solo stuff) and cherished collectibles. I want us to sell the place but my husband wants to keep it! If/when we do sell it, I’ll probably locate Stones’ things I don’t even remember having!!

~CE 😎 

<span class=”count-box”> </span>
    October 11, 2015 at 1:46 pm #23143
    Anonymous

As a hard core addict. It is cathartic to talk of the uglier side of addiction.  It probably helps Keith to converse about it. He, as we all do, tends to glamorise his use and abuse of drugs. As someone who’s “experiment” with heroin/opiates went on for over twice as long as Keith’s, I can promise you there a very awful things KR will not tell anyone about his battles. Also, as with Keith, I was unfortunate to have an inexhaustible source of money.  Keith’s access to real money during his addiction was as much of a problem as the drugs themselves. Money can be a curse in the hands of the sick and desperate.

As for Beast of Burden,  the real truth probably lies somewhere in the middle of both explanations.  Mick remembers things one way and Keith recalls them another.

That’s my take.

Mick’s “come on  baby pleeeeaaasssee ” sends chills down my spine every time.

I really, really love Mick Jagger.

Thanks.

Tim

CE, if you have the tapes, SHARE THE WEALTH!

October 11, 2015 at 1:54 pm #23144
    Cocaine Eyes
    Participant

^^^^^^ Admiration for your truth. I’m happy to know you!

~CE 😎 

October 11, 2015 at 2:21 pm #23145
    Naturalust
    Participant

As for Beast of Burden, the real truth probably lies somewhere in the middle of both explanations. Mick remembers things one way and Keith recalls them another.

—————————————————————————————————————————

Actually their stories about the song creation are not contradictory at all. They both basically say the same thing, that Keith came to the sessions with the chords and the line “Beast of Burden”, and that Jagger took the reins and developed it into an actual song. They also say that the music (tempo, arrangement, etc) was all worked out in the studio after trying a few different approached and was basically recorded in one take once they decided on everything.

It seems this kind of approach is how the very best Stones songs were created, Keith providing the spark and then trusting Jagger to take it wherever he thought it would work lyrically and melodically. It’s also why there are probably no “demo” versions of this tune floating around. It seemed to be born out of the same studio sessions where it was recorded.

Tim, no doubt you are right that Keith has had some junkie experiences he had best keep to himself, people addicted at that level are going to plow through people, feelings and morality like a bulldozer in order to get their fix. But I was pretty surprised he was as open and honest about it as he was when we heard some of the stories from him in Life, they weren’t pretty, especially some of the ones concerning Anita, brutal even.

October 11, 2015 at 2:26 pm #23146
    OldSoul
    Participant

I always suspected it was maybe just a magical, done in one take, type thing. Maybe that is the answer, after all.

October 11, 2015 at 3:13 pm #23147
    Naturalust
    Participant

I always suspected it was maybe just a magical, done in one take, type thing. Maybe that is the answer, after all.

You were right, Keith’s quote:

It just cropped up in the studio. It started kind of faster and funkier and more shouted and became – when everybody else started playing, we decided to cut it “relax” and it came down to what it is in just one take. That was it.

– Keith Richards, 1982

October 11, 2015 at 3:15 pm #23148
    OldSoul
    Participant

That’s amazing.

October 11, 2015 at 5:47 pm #23156
    Socrates
    Participant

I would have to resist flattering myself in a moment like that. You called it, good one!

December 2, 2015 at 7:39 am #30046
    OldSoul
    Participant

OMG, an alternate vocal track!!! 1:13:19

December 2, 2015 at 8:27 am #30048
    Cocaine Eyes
    Participant

THANK YOU! A thing of sheer beauty.

~CE

December 2, 2015 at 10:53 am #30071
    Naturalust
    Participant

OMG, an alternate vocal track!!! 1:13:19

It’s not really an alternate vocal track, per se. Sounds like the same track to me but just before it was edited down to the released version, it’s got that one second verse that was just cropped out. Pretty sure it’s the same take we are all so familiar with.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags

Recently Active Members

Profile picture of Marianita
Profile picture of Cocaine Eyes
Profile picture of DandelionPowderman
Profile picture of jasona93
Profile picture of Socrates
Profile picture of stonehearted
Profile picture of angee
Profile picture of OldSoul
Profile picture of keefriffhards
Profile picture of treaclefingers
Profile picture of goo
Profile picture of devdev
Profile picture of StrongBeach
Profile picture of D
Profile picture of Doxa
Profile picture of Z
Profile picture of Nikkei
Profile picture of tauk
Profile picture of Ale Lacasa
Profile picture of Stoneburst
Profile picture of Upgreydd
Profile picture of andrew t
Profile picture of Roll Me
Profile picture of SelenePhoenix
Profile picture of ReginaPhalange
Profile picture of illusion
Profile picture of Ebling
Profile picture of MidnightPeanut
Profile picture of Redhotcarpetred
Profile picture of bluzdude
Profile picture of VT22
Profile picture of detroitken
Profile picture of hwkn
Profile picture of mgarciaisaia
Profile picture of two4fun111
Profile picture of Chris

Mission Statement

This forum is dedicated to an open discussion of all things Rolling Stones.  From new fans to hardcore veterans, everyone is welcome.  Forum is moderated lightly.  The golden rule is in effect. Let the discussions run rampant, as long as personal insults stay at the door!