We Love You – Discuss

• October 27, 2015 at 5:05 pm #25502
    D
    Keymaster

I always thought it was incredible that this song was left off TSMR.  They should have dropped Sing This Song and Gomper, and put We Love You and Dandelion on the LP.  Still an unsung hero in the Stones arsenal.

October 27, 2015 at 5:19 pm #25506
    treaclefingers
    Participant

The beatles background vocals take this baby over the top!

But seriously, only a 60s catalogue as bullet proof as the stones could render this gorgeous tune forgotten.

October 27, 2015 at 5:34 pm #25509
    stonehearted
    Participant

Though the Beatles the year before had virtually invented the modern version of the pop music promotional video, first when they couldn’t travel to America to be on The Ed Sullivan Show and then subsequently as a replacement for touring, the video for We Love You is probably the first pop music promo example of a “concept video”–that is, where the band is seen as actors as though in a teleplay, rather than miming to the record and shown with their instruments as if in performance. With this video they are taking up the theme of the trial of Oscar Wilde, one of the most famous cases of persecution in modern UK history, and using it to address their own recent persecution of drug busts and jail sentencing, and also with a song that both mocks and defies their persecutors. It has a concept and a message, encapsulated in a 3-minute dramatic teleplay where band members take up costumes to portray characters outside themselves. Not done before in pop music promotional videos.

As to why it was left off Satanic Majesties, as was still the tradition in the UK, singles were not included on albums because it was felt to be a cheat to have to buy a song twice. This is why Jack Flash does not appear on Beggars and why the UK albums from earlier years differ from the U.S. releases. And We Love You was a top 10 single in the UK, and Dandelion was the B-side. Besides, these stray 7 inch releases could always be collected later for compilations.

October 27, 2015 at 5:39 pm #25511
    StrongBeach
    Participant

“We Love You” and “Dandelion” were in good company, though: like “Honky Tonk Women” and “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” their first appearances on an album were on “THROUGH THE PAST, DARKLY. Why would they have wanted to be on that sucky TSMR, instead? 🙂

Loved Nicky on “We Love You,” never dug much of the rest of it. But I’m not a brass-heavy guy when it comes to The Stones, as I never particularly liked “Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby?” either. Plus, “We Love You” always seemed more of a “current events” type of song, more of an oppty to say “fuck you” to the authorities, rather than a pure musical expression. More like musical tabloid journalism, if you will.

October 27, 2015 at 5:46 pm #25515
    treaclefingers
    Participant

Great video for sure…love the use of “Marianne’s rug” in court and then Mick draped naked in it at the end.  A big F.U. for sure.

October 27, 2015 at 6:13 pm #25519
    Breath
    Participant

it doesn’t love me and I don’t love it.

October 27, 2015 at 7:07 pm #25535
    treaclefingers
    Participant

the love you take is equal to the love you make, or something.

October 27, 2015 at 7:21 pm #25541
    keefriffhards
    Participant

Fucken jezz at the end Waddy and keith rocked on GS in a way Ronnie could never with a million chances. Lol its got fuck all to do with we love you, but i want to talk tonight, i have something to say you may or may not want to hear..

October 27, 2015 at 7:26 pm #25544
    treaclefingers
    Participant

Fucken jezz at the end Waddy and keith rocked on GS in a way Ronnie could never with a million chances. Lol its got fuck all to do with we love you, but i want to talk tonight, i have something to say you may or may not want to hear..

You are amazingly perceptive!

October 27, 2015 at 7:28 pm #25546
    keefriffhards
    Participant

the love you take is equal to the love you make, or something.

I just thing you take all the love with you

October 27, 2015 at 7:34 pm #25551
    treaclefingers
    Participant

the love you take is equal to the love you make, or something.

I just thing you take all the love with you Fucken jezz at the end Waddy and keith rocked on GS in a way Ronnie could never with a million chances. Lol its got fuck all to do with we love you, but i want to talk tonight, i have something to say you may or may not want to hear..

Thrilled that you felt so strongly about your first post that you reposted it.  I’ll commit this to memory knowing how dedicated you are.

October 27, 2015 at 7:43 pm #25555
    stonehearted
    Participant

<<Thrilled that you felt so strongly about your first post that you reposted it.  I’ll commit this to memory knowing how dedicated you are.>>

He’s riffing pretty hard tonight, isn’t he? Like Keef, he may stay on this riff for days before he finally gets a song out of it. Maybe we should just sing this all together and see what happens….

October 27, 2015 at 7:52 pm #25559
    DandelionPowderman
    Participant

Why was Bill’s chestnut released as a single (with his name featured) AND included on the album, while We Love You “only” made the 7″?

-------------------------------
    My cards are on the table

October 27, 2015 at 8:02 pm #25565
    stonehearted
    Participant

Why was Bill’s chestnut released as a single (with his name featured) AND included on the album, while We Love You “only” made the 7″?

Not a single in the UK. Neither was She’s A Rainbow nor 2000 Light Years, which only charted in other countries. Their next UK single after We Love You/Dandelion was Jumping Jack Flash.

October 27, 2015 at 8:13 pm #25576
    treaclefingers
    Participant

Not a single in the UK. Neither was She’s A Rainbow nor 2000 Light Years, which only charted in other countries. Their next UK single after We Love You/Dandelion was Jumping Jack Flash.

Nice burn…dandy can come off as such a ‘know-it-all’ sometimes.

October 27, 2015 at 8:13 pm #25578
    treaclefingers
    Participant

<<Thrilled that you felt so strongly about your first post that you reposted it. I’ll commit this to memory knowing how dedicated you are.>> He’s riffing pretty hard tonight, isn’t he? Like Keef, he may stay on this riff for days before he finally gets a song out of it. Maybe we should just sing this all together and see what happens….

I liked this post…I wish I could have ‘double-liked’ it.

October 27, 2015 at 9:25 pm #25623
    sonomastone
    Participant

Never understood why this song was left off of Hot Rocks, but that became an incentive for me to buy “More Hot Rocks”… oh wait, maybe that was the reason  😉

October 27, 2015 at 9:40 pm #25627
    treaclefingers
    Participant

Never understood why this song was left off of Hot Rocks, but that became an incentive for me to buy “More Hot Rocks”… oh wait, maybe that was the reason 😉

Well Hot Rocks in itself is a bit of an odd collection…I mean there’s some obvious choices but they left off several hit singles, HYSYMBSITS comes to mind, which I think also appeared on MORE.

Not sure if ABKCO anticipated the massive success that Hot Rocks would be so I don’t know if they imagined a follow-up initially.

October 28, 2015 at 9:42 am #25647
    bitusa
    Participant

Stone cold classic. Did NOT sound like The Stones when I first heard it, yet…. It did. Oddly familiar, yet so different. Authentic. Love it.

October 28, 2015 at 12:26 pm #25662
    andrew t
    Participant

This track quite simply, kicks ass. Charlie’s drumming really jumped a level on this and Dandelion.

Nicky Hopkins’ circular piano riff is one for the ages.

I’ve always thought this would make a great set-ender for a Stones show.

This track is also a big influence on the “Creation records” UK sound of the early 90’s.

Keith’s solo at the end is the genesis of the slash & burn outro on Stray Cat Blues.

Check out this take around the 3:00 mark

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags

Recently Active Members

Profile picture of Marianita
Profile picture of Cocaine Eyes
Profile picture of DandelionPowderman
Profile picture of jasona93
Profile picture of Socrates
Profile picture of stonehearted
Profile picture of angee
Profile picture of OldSoul
Profile picture of keefriffhards
Profile picture of treaclefingers
Profile picture of goo
Profile picture of devdev
Profile picture of StrongBeach
Profile picture of D
Profile picture of Doxa
Profile picture of Z
Profile picture of Nikkei
Profile picture of tauk
Profile picture of Ale Lacasa
Profile picture of Stoneburst
Profile picture of Upgreydd
Profile picture of andrew t
Profile picture of Roll Me
Profile picture of SelenePhoenix
Profile picture of ReginaPhalange
Profile picture of illusion
Profile picture of Ebling
Profile picture of MidnightPeanut
Profile picture of Redhotcarpetred
Profile picture of bluzdude
Profile picture of VT22
Profile picture of detroitken
Profile picture of hwkn
Profile picture of mgarciaisaia
Profile picture of two4fun111
Profile picture of Chris

Mission Statement

This forum is dedicated to an open discussion of all things Rolling Stones.  From new fans to hardcore veterans, everyone is welcome.  Forum is moderated lightly.  The golden rule is in effect. Let the discussions run rampant, as long as personal insults stay at the door!