• October 21, 2015 at 6:03 pm #24576
    D
    Keymaster

October 21, 2015 at 6:18 pm #24582
    stonehearted
    Participant

Oh god, it’s awful, horrendous! The ’75 LA Borum is an absolute abomination. I know you want to discuss the song from this per-bore-mance, but I couldn’t bear to watch the DVD long enough to get to it.

Mick is just flatly shouting his way through songs, no melody, nothing. Keith and Ron, in the notable absence of Mick Taylor, are just soloing over each other, and they seem to be over-reaching, as many of the solos seem to just hang there without adding any nuances. I know Tod doesn’t like the term “weaving” on his site, so let’s just say that their guitars don’t seem to… gel as yet, no real interlocking sympatico, certainly not the way they do, for instance, on the 1981 tour–but at the LA Borum in 1975, the constant soloing is tedious, and frankly a bit self-conscious. Further, you can’t even hear Bill, and there’s way too much percussion. That second standing drummer behind Charlie makes the drumming sound far too busy. Oh yes, and Billy Preston has way too much hair. That’s another distraction, but only if you’re viewing the DVD.

But I suppose if you were 15 and attending your first Stones concert there in 1975, and were as coked up as Mick obviously was, then it’s probably a golden memory that you relish revisiting endlessly, savoring every last coke-fueled extended jam to nowhere. Myself, I was 15 in 1981, so I’ll take the Hampton DVD–which I did, after shutting off the LA Borum DVD about a third of the way through.

October 21, 2015 at 6:21 pm #24584
    Breath
    Participant

don’t hold back, stonehearted.  can we please have your unvarnished thoughts on this?

October 21, 2015 at 6:23 pm #24585
    LongBeachArena72
    Participant

Their first—and still quite possibly worst—tour post-Taylor. Agree with Stonehearted—unlistenable. Even Billy Preston—whom I usually adore—makes me grit my teeth on this one.

October 21, 2015 at 7:48 pm #24602
    munichhilton
    Participant

I like the tour. Many good shows were played in ’75.

But this LA ain’t one of ’em. One or two of the LA shows had better results but it wasn’t a good run….

October 21, 2015 at 7:50 pm #24603
    D
    Keymaster

As a kid I remember YaYa’s as an amazing work of art.  Simultaneously I had a great experience listening to Still Life on vinyl at an early age and referred to that version of Satisfaction as ‘the fast version’.  Then I remember getting Love You Live and being completely disappointed.  I have met fans who will tell you with great confidence that the 75 tour was one giant party, and if you weren’t there it is pointless discussing.  Maybe that’s the truth?  Love You Live was one of those recordings that was so heavily overdubbed that I still hear phantom vocals in my head every now n then.  Star Star was the worst offender on that.

• Congos were unnecessary.
    • Billy Preston – I love his music but at times it can be very distracting when with the Stones.  I am certain it would’ve been fun to be there, but the recordings make it seem like he is attempting to ruin songs like Brown Sugar.
    • Mick is constantly screaming instead of singing.  Remember, this is the first tour where Mick has a wireless mic.  He had not gotten into his routine on how this works but instead is just running around like crazy and screaming in between dance moves.
    • Guitars – It SEEMS like they are playing well but it is just plain hard to hear above all the other stuff.

I would love to hear from anyone who attended this tour.  75/76 and 89/90 are the only tours where I don’t really collect bootlegs.  It has nothing to do with the setlist, and everything to do with seemly the guitars taking a back seat, despite being very very active.

October 21, 2015 at 9:20 pm #24617
    munichhilton
    Participant

Love You Live is mostly 1976 which was very different than 1975.

Jagger was just awful

1975 was the ‘meet Ronnie Wood and buy Made In The Shade’ tour.

1976 was the Black & Blue tour and really was light years worse

October 21, 2015 at 10:52 pm #24618
    Breath
    Participant

1975 rocked my world. TOTA was TOTAlly awesome.  please reconsider and resubmit.

October 21, 2015 at 11:43 pm #24622
    Upgreydd
    Participant
    • Remember, this is the first tour where Mick has a wireless mic. He had not gotten into his routine on how this works but instead is just running around like crazy and screaming in between dance moves.

You say that like its a bad thing.

October 22, 2015 at 12:02 am #24624
    Upgreydd
    Participant

As a kid I remember YaYa’s as an amazing work of art. Simultaneously I had a great experience listening to Still Life on vinyl at an early age and referred to that version of Satisfaction as ‘the fast version’. Then I remember getting Love You Live and being completely disappointed. I have met fans who will tell you with great confidence that the 75 tour was one giant party, and if you weren’t there it is pointless discussing.

Interesting.    I also thought of Ya Ya’s as a work of art.  The first time I heard still life though, It was actually kind of disturbing to me. It  sounded so slick and polished.  I later became a big fan of the 81 tour though.   LYL on the other hand I liked from the very first time I heard it.  I realize Its no Ya’ Ya’s, but it had this party- down vibe to it that I really dug.

October 22, 2015 at 12:13 am #24626
    Ebling
    Participant

I like the TOTA.  The San Fransisco shows from the Cow Palace are superior to the LA gigs in my opinion, but I’m happy they released this just the same. I like the distorted guitars, lotus stage, inflatable wiener, and the silly Jagger outfits from 75.  Billy and Ollie…meh…maybe a few too many bells and whistles there.  They sprinkled in some Black and Blue songs on the 76 tour, so I give Europe the edge here.  I can see where some may not care for this era, but I dig it plenty.

October 22, 2015 at 7:35 am #24647
    Z
    Participant

I love it! I love ’75/6 no less than ’72. The wildness, the mess, the shouting and the barking… I love everything about it. That’s the Stones for me, they never sounded better IMHO.

And I love LYL way more than Ya Ya’s.

October 22, 2015 at 8:00 am #24649
    DandelionPowderman
    Participant

By far the worst 1975 show. The other show from the 13th, which was released on vinyl is lightyears better.

I suspect that many of the critics here haven’t really listened a lot to Toronto, NYC June 27 or other 75 shows?

If you say that a tour is «the worst ever» you need to hear the shows first, then conclude 🙂

This show is probably on par with Auckland 1973. In other words poor.

-------------------------------
    BBB - Bring Blondie Back

October 22, 2015 at 8:51 am #24668
    They call me Ted.
    Participant

I enjoyed watching LA75 but imo Hampton81 isn’t that much better – the show is let down by protracted sax ‘n guitar jams until everyone runs out of ideas and the song ends.  Were stuck with the problem that we know better performances exist but there’s no video. (If I were on IORR, this would be your opportunity to come in with a massive list of shows you’d like to see released, despite being repeatedly told they were never, ever, ever filmed  😉 )

October 22, 2015 at 8:52 am #24669
    Cocaine Eyes
    Participant

What the living hell? I LOVED this period of the Stones. Gimme my coked-out Jagger. Gimme all the costumes. Gimme Jagger licking and kissing Ronnie. Gimme stoned Keith and Charlie and Taylor and Bill. Gimme Billy Preston hugging Jagger and holding Jagger in his arms. Gimme the huge penis. Gimme the entire thing.

If you wanted Lawrence Welk, you’ve got the wrong band.

~CE

October 22, 2015 at 8:56 am #24670
    Breath
    Participant

What the living hell? I LOVED this period of the Stones. Gimme my coked-out Jagger. Gimme all the costumes. Gimme Jagger licking and kissing Ronnie. Gimme stoned Keith and Charlie and Taylor and Bill. Gimme Billy Preston hugging Jagger and holding Jagger in his arms. Gimme the huge penis. Gimme the entire thing. If you wanted Lawrence Welk, you’ve got the wrong band. ~CE

thank you. there…now shut your respective pie holes, everyone….

October 22, 2015 at 9:35 am #24672
    SkipStone
    Participant

Brilliantly awful. The playing is fantastic, although Billy’s little fluffy piano runs are NOT rock’n’roll. Mick? Ha ha. Hilariously awful as usual with this era of the live band.

What’s possibly most interesting is how good the song is. Ever since this tour it’s been nothing but a shitdog.

October 22, 2015 at 9:38 am #24674
    Breath
    Participant

it’s only a shitdog now and we don’t like it….good points, skippy.

October 22, 2015 at 9:41 am #24675
    Cocaine Eyes
    Participant

Well pardon me! I bloody LOVED it. Should I ban myself now?

~CE 😎 

October 22, 2015 at 9:43 am #24676
    Breath
    Participant

Well pardon me! I bloody LOVED it. Should I ban myself now?

~CE 😎

shitdog SINCE ’75….please confirm your understanding of this crucial point…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.