• October 4, 2017 at 8:39 pm #70858
    D
    Keymaster

Well folks, I think this is the end. I am heavily considering closing the doors on EOMS. It was a fun run but I’ll bring up a few points on why I feel like this site has simply run its course.

1. Other forums exist and I’ll probably visit Shidoobee if a US tour ever materializes. Even then, I am not sure. Great people over there and the place lights up when there is a tour going on.

2. The shows have gone downhill fast. The Stones can’t put on the level of show they have in the past. I am a hardcore fan, but that doesn’t mean I have to get excited about the same setlist every night. For a band on their final trip, they should genuinely be having fun playing whatever they want. I feel like the management company and Jagger, are focused on getting the show to be exactly whats its been since 1989. Thats fine, but I am just not excited about it. I can’t think of a single bootleg from 2012-2017 that I actually go back and revisit.

3. If the Stones come back to the US, I will certainly make an attempt to attend, but never again will I ever consider spending over $150 for a ticket. I am flat out offended that the Rolling Stones, a band of poor Dartford punks who worked their asses off playing small gig after gig and working their way up the chain, have decided to charge $500, $600, $800+ for a ticket to a concert. If they want to charge that for the first 10 rows, fine. But for 50% of the stadium? Seriously? So I will definitely try to go, but I will make no attempt at going for anything beyond $150 per ticket. $300 buys quite a bit these days. It could buy 2 hours of the same songs we’ve heard a million times, or it could buy an appliance. Hell, what could each of you do with $1500? Two tickets for 2 hours of the same songs as always, or a mortgage payment.

4. The performances are disappointing. I have watched a few videos from each show on the European tour… Songs are slow, performances are rough.. It feels like the entire band is just tired. Maybe this is what 1978 felt like on an off night? For years all of us fans have been hoping that they would change up the format. I believe the radical experimentation ended with the 2002/03 Licks Tour. The setlists from those gigs, including arenas and stadiums, were amazing. After that tour, they settled back into a rut that they have never fully departed from. No more adventure. Song votes of well-known songs.

5. I am reticent to bring this up but Keith actually pissed his pants at the Hamburg show. More importantly, no one from the band or crew asked him to go off stage, change pants, and come back out. The band is old, but I just feel bad for Keith on this. One person I talked to said it best in saying that all the talk about this made him mad and that the entire band should have “pissed their pants in solidarity”. I agree completely with this sentiment. We all get old. We all piss our pants. Its not the end of the world. The problem I have is with paying $1500 for two tickets to see a subpar performance. Keith is having a hard time. Either he needs a break, or the format of the show should change. Keep in mind Keith Richards is my musical hero. I could listen to his playing all day, with everyone else muted. His tone and style are unlike anything else I have ever heard to this day. Plenty of imitators, but no one who can effectively pull it off.

6. The songs… Where on earth are the following songs: Let It Bleed, Respectable, The Last Time, Little Queenie, Star Star, Time Waits For No One, Parachute Woman, Can’t You Hear Me Knocking, She’s So Cold, Ventilator Blues, Had It With You, Let Me Go… I could go on for ages. Hundreds of songs + all the covers they used to do back in the 60s and 70s, and they do the same 16-18 every night.. for decades.

7. Mick Taylor – If everyone here knew the full truth on why Mick Taylor was not brought back on for this tour, or the remained of the last one, they’d be pissed. It is insane that a guy that talented is left in the wings. Chicago night two when Taylor was on for CYHMK, Sway and Rambler, was amazing. He elevated the whole band, and they knew it. The crowd responded in a really big way. Mick Taylor should have stuck around. Ronnie loved having him on stage. It was just plain fun. Why only a few gigs?

8. The emphasis on continuing to release modern stuff is killing the band. No one cares about the Fonda gig. We just got Hyde Park, no need multiple other releases of the same setlist played in Cuba and elsewhere. If the band is going to keep playing the same show year after year until someone becomes incapacitated, then the least they can do is be creative in the way they play the old songs, or atleast WHICH songs they play. If they release another live album/film from the European shows, it will be the same as we have seen on other gigs. They are on cruise control.

So thats my two cents. I have genuinely enjoyed spending time here with fellow fans, talking about shows and music, and crossing the regional divide by watching live streams of the concerts. You guys n gals are wonderful people. I just feel like the band is winding down, there is not a lot to talk about, and the state of things is depressing. Am I wrong? Anything I’m missing?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Its been a fun ride!

October 4, 2017 at 9:08 pm #70859
    Socrates
    Participant

I didn’t even read this. Wow. If it’s about me then I will leave. Don’t get up gentlemen, I’m only passing through… Is my ego exploding again or is that a shooting star or something? Am I tripping? I may be getting a complex. Long Ranch, do you have anything to add? To add up? I mean, Snoop Lion? Wow… If this is about me… I’m so vain, I probably think this thread is about me.

Turn away my eyes from looking at vanity, And revive me in Your ways. Psalm 119:37

October 4, 2017 at 9:13 pm #70860
    D
    Keymaster

I didn’t even read this. Wow. If it’s about me then I will leave. Don’t get up gentlemen, I’m only passing through… Is my ego exploding again or is that a shooting star or something? I’m may be getting a complex. Long Ranch, do you have anything to add? To add up? I mean, Snoop Lion? Wow… If this is about me… I’m so vain, I probably think this thread is about me.

Turn away my eyes from looking at vanity, And revive me in Your ways. Psalm 119:37

Not at all man. Politics and everything else aside. I am only posting my two cents on the band.

October 4, 2017 at 10:37 pm #70861
    Socrates
    Participant

Oh good. Consider me over myself then. I was gonna ask Snoop Lion to read this first, thought it might’ve been too harsh for me to get through. Don’t harsh my mellow. One Love. Btw I think the show was great last night.

October 5, 2017 at 12:01 am #70863
    StrongBeach
    Participant

Hi, Drake—

Lots to unpack in your post but, having given up on the band many decades ago, I’m the wrong guy to do it.

I do have two specific follow-up questions, though, if you’ll permit me:

—Did Keith really piss his pants? I mean, has that been firmly established? I read some speculation but never paid it much mind so am in the dark here. I didn’t really follow your argument here, though. Isn’t it up to the pants-pisser to decide whether he should stop and go offstage and change and come back? I’m not sure what I’d do if I pissed my pants in that situation but I’m not sure I’d be looking around to my band-mates for answers … what should the other guys have done? (I know this is an unsavory topic but you seem to have strong feelings about it.)

—How can you in good conscience not just come out and TELL US why Taylor is not on the tour?  🙂

I’ve been a sporadic user of EOMS over the years but have always loved its outlaw flavor. What a cast of reprobates has passed through these digital halls! If you do indeed pull the plug then I will understand and I will hoist a stein or two in your honor … you’ve always been a stand-up guy in my book.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got to go get my new friend Socrates out of a jam–seems he mistook a Taylor Swift album for the Ark of the Covenant and has really gone off the deep end.

October 5, 2017 at 12:12 am #70865
    Socrates
    Participant

Snoop, you’re a cool guy and a really good person. Check that other thread where I deleted some long posts. I think I have gone off the deep end. I’m rocking to Copenhagen!

October 5, 2017 at 2:47 am #70868
    tauk
    Participant

Drake, If you do decide to “end” this website is there any way you could keep every post up and readable, just permanently closed to new posts? There’s such a plethora of music videos that would take me, and I’m sure other people, a nice long time to go back & play the ones we didn’t have time to listen to. There’s so much there to still learn from…which is something different from any of the other Stones fansites.

Thanks for all you’ve done.

"The Tauk Abides" (inspired from "The Big Lebowski" film-Jeff Bridges' last line)

'I need a..I need a bohemian atmosphere" ("Performance" Warner Brothers film)

October 5, 2017 at 4:49 am #70869
    Marianita
    Participant

Warner Archive warner archive classic film pleading cecil b demille GIF

No one gets out of here exept in a coffin, Drake.

1. About other forums, i went to Sheedoobee the other day but i find it not easy to navigate on that side. About Iorr, well the Dictator pisses me off

2.About the future and the shows, i hope they will surprise us, but i have to agree with the downhill ride ( it could have been good, Mick Taylor)

3. Moneygrabbers oh yeah, I guess it’s Mick, He owe us tons of club show’s

4.well i jump to number 7

7.TAYLOR TAYLOR TAYLOR TAYLOR ole ole ole ole TAYLORD TAYLORD ole ole ole ole TAYLORD TAYLORD come on sing ole ole ole ole TAYLORD TAYLORD ole ole ole ole TAYLORD TAYLORD

Anyway thank you for doing this Drake, i had fun, guess i’ll be in my basement room with a lot of pot. And to everybody on this site, not naming anyone in danger of forgetting some, THANK YOU; I LOVE YOU

Drake, ive never been to the heart of Texas, but Stones kind of brought me there

Don't you think it's sometimes wise not to grow up?

October 5, 2017 at 5:05 am #70874
    keefriffhards
    Participant

Totally agree with Tauk above, i don’t see why all the effort from people like Nita has to evaporate into thin air.

Personally i’m not surprised you are shutting it down, the traffic is too slow for anyone to be motivated to post.

I think there have been some fundamental mistakes by you Drake that haven’t helped matters over the years.

When it was busy here and had the potential to expand you let a dog troll the site 24/7

Hardly anyone got him, and although he was great he was only acceptable by a minority of people.  Not only was he a troll but you made him the moderator, bad move.

I honestly think that you Drake, have not spent enough time contributing to discussions, this was your baby and you neglected it.

Another thing that sent me packing was the continued shutting down of threads we were enjoying like the political thread, the amount of times Socrates insisted you shut a thread down that he started and you obliged was annoying to say the least. You even shut down a particular political thread after you yourself opened up a democratic vote to keep it or end it.  The vast majority of people voted to keep it and you shut it down without so much as an explanation.

As for Keith pissing himself , you and no one in this world knows if that’s true, and to bring it up  as one of your 8 excuses for shutting the place down just about sums you up. Why even mention it.  Let that go down on a Stones fan site as one of the reasons it shut down WTF

As for the Stones , they are old and you sound very ageist to me, they can’t help being old, they do there best, and they have greatly improved the sett list.

This is not an attack on you, i like you and i always did, but you have only yourself to blame the the demise of this place imho.

For a while it was a blast , i thank everyone for all the great times we had here. You all know who you are, even that funny dog.  Tod was great but i still think it was wrong to make him the boss man.

Andrew T, a real gent, CE and Nita the grafters, Z, Longbeach , Stonehearted, Stoneburst, Shesarainbow, Nikkei, Drake, Natuarlust and the rest of you that don’t spring to mind this very second.  Hope Drake does change his mind for all your sake’s, and i happen to think the Stones have a bit more life in them yet, solo and as the Stones, see you guys all on the flip side.  One Love X

October 5, 2017 at 5:33 am #70876
    Marianita
    Participant

Thank you for kind words Riffhards, Hope you are doing good, it was some fun, see you 🙂 (ps i liked “the dog”, opened my eyes to a lot of good music, hope he is doing good too, and Drake, thank you for not banning me for all the times i acted stupid, that turn me into “liking you” and not disliking you, thank you)

Keith Richards (born 18 December 1943) is an English musician, singer, songwriter and founding member of the English rock band the Rolling Stones.

October 5, 2017 at 6:12 am #70878
    keefriffhards
    Participant

Thank you for kind words Riffhards, Hope you are doing good, it was some fun, see you 🙂 (ps i liked “the dog”, opened my eyes to a lot of good music, hope he is doing good too, and Drake, thank you for not banning me for all the times i acted stupid, that turn me into “liking you” and not disliking you, thank you) Keith Richards (born 18 December 1943) is an English musician, singer, songwriter and founding member of the English rock band the Rolling Stones.

Now that’s a cool pic of Keith, yes it was nice knowing you, we had some laughs didn’t we.

I think you must be the ultimate Stones fan chick haha

Too bad you’re spoken for like me hehe.

Yes as i  said,  i liked Breath once i finally understood him, i just didn’t want to be told what i can say by him.

Maybe Drake will change his mind and leave the site open so people like you and CE  can moderate it..

That would be funny i think, anything goes within reason.

I honestly thought more people would come back when the tour started and i expected some scope links like the old days.  They were such fun, bongalonger

Take care Nita.

October 5, 2017 at 7:20 am #70881
    Stoneburst
    Participant

Hello all,

Of all the days to swing by EOMS and see what’s new…I’ll be sorry to see this place go and, like others who haven’t posted in a long time, I suppose I bear my own share of responsibility for why it’s gone the way it has. I should explain: I had some health problems last year and a PhD to finish, both of which forced me to take an extended break from a lot of online stuff. By the time those issues had been dealt with, I realised that I no longer wanted to spend my spare time talking about the Stones on the internet, although I do still check in both here and at IORR sometimes. That’s partially because my life has changed a lot, and partially because there’s not much to say about the Stones these days anyway (I would argue that Mick Taylor’s fleeting return to the band on the 2012-2014 tours represents the last genuinely absorbing episode in the band’s history, because it related to the band’s music and backstage psychodramas in equal measure).

I guess EOMS had two problems from the start: firstly, the fact that the band’s days were numbered, and secondly the continued existence of the other Stones boards. The first issue meant that there was always going to be less and less to talk about – not ideal when you’re trying to attract new posters – and the second, in retrospect, meant that there was considerably less of a gap in the market than we initially thought. This place mainly appealed to/was targeted at people who’d been banned from or disliked IORR. Not only was that a turnoff for a lot of potential posters who just wanted to talk about the band and ended up leaving, it meant that the growth of EOMS was a game of diminishing returns, with new users registering in order to vent about Bjornulf for a couple of weeks and then returning to IORR once they’d got all that stuff out of their system. Add to that the importation of toxic fan politics and some really opaque, long-held grievances from IORR, and the decline of this place was inevitable. But I’m not sure that this is really Drake’s fault in particular – we were all responsible for it, in our own ways.

If this place could be archived somehow, I think that would be nice. There were a lot of good discussions, particularly in the early days, and it would be a shame to lose them.

P.S. Like others, I’d like to know what Drake’s take on the Taylor saga is…

October 5, 2017 at 9:46 am #70888
    StrongBeach
    Participant

… but you have only yourself to blame the the demise of this place imho.

I’ll offer a differing point of view, my dear young riffhards:

Social media (of which internet message boards are an example) is in its infancy. We have no idea whether it will become a tool to advance human consciousness or whether it will speed our disintegration into a series of warring monkey tribes. I would posit that it is nearly impossible to “host” a message board of this sort and to avoid the petty vitriol and outright hostility which characterizes many human communities. Is it fair to look at Drake and say ‘you failed because you could not control the vicissitudes of behavior that a diverse group of people exhibit on your cyber-network’? I wouldn’t look at it like that, exactly. The dude has a job and a family to support … what was he supposed to do to try to keep an army of ingrates in line?

It’s inherently absurd to post anything online. Think about it. You walk around all day in your life and you think of stuff that you find amusing or important or touching or whatever, And you grab your phone and jet those thoughts out into the aether. And then you get mad when people disagree with your precious ruminations. It’s hysterical, when you look at it from a certain perspective. Was Drake’s stewardship of EOMS lacking? Very likely. Should he have let some things go on longer than he did, and should he have nipped other things in the bud that went on far too long? No doubt. But, christ, how do you even go about determining that? I wouldn’t know how. I personally think Drake kind of became an absentee landlord. Is that a worse approach than the arbitrary pseudo-fascistic environment created by bv and his acolytes at IORR? I think not, but that’s just me. I always felt more comfortable here because I got the feeling that people were more free, more who-gives-a-fuck-I’m-just-gonna-let-this-fly … while at IORR there is a level of self-censorship in place that restrains discussion and guides it in a particular direction.

I do agree with you that ultimately EOMS’s downfall was the lack of traffic. No one wants to come into a largely empty house and shout his/her opinions … at no one. What caused this, whether it was even possible to build another high-traffic Stones site when the band is so clearly at its end, when we are reduced to picking over their frail bones for the creeping signs of increased obsolescence with every new ‘tour’ … those questions are far above my pay grade.

I was up at 4 this morning feeding the baby and listening to the Beethoven Quartets cycle of Shostakovich string quartets and had a very poignant moment. I was thinking about you and these boards and the other people I’ve gotten to know over the past few years … and I knew, at least for me, it was over. Having been banned at IORR I can no longer post there. This place is empty and soon to be shuttered. I will miss aspects of my experience here but I have made a precious few good friends (chief among them, you), and I depart wishing everyone in Stones-dom well.

They have been a remarkable band, and we have all been remarkable fans. But they–and we–have nothing new to say. They–and we–have been endlessly recycling the same content for decades now. Ultimately, it will be time–50, 100 years from now?–for the historians to take over. To sift through the music, the books, the online discussions, and to begin to form a portrait of what this band really was. And none of us have any idea what that legacy will be. They may be forgotten. They may be footnotes in the marginalia of future reports. They may be seen as the single most important force in popular culture ever.

You know what I think? I have a super-radical theory: I believe that the lasting legacy of The Rolling Stones will not be Altamont or “Satisfaction” or the endless money-grubbing world-tour-cash-grabs … it will be that their songs became intimately associated with the greatest buffoon the American people have ever elected President and that their anthem “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” became the soundtrack for the demise of the republic. (Don’t laugh; it’s just as likely as any other scenario!) It would have been nice to have kicked that around, just for shits and giggles, at IORR, but of course that was verboten, forbidden territory that reasonable adults could not be trusted to enter. And at EOMS? Well … crickets.

October 5, 2017 at 10:04 am #70890
    Marianita
    Participant

Trump rocks

Bilderesultat for trump gif

October 5, 2017 at 10:12 am #70892
    andrew t
    Participant

Oh sure, D! Right as some great discussion materializes on the tour thread and here, we’re pulling the plug?

Damn, that tour thread lit up like Christmas morning, and I’m too busy at work to give it the attention it deserves.

I had a hunch, if I waited a bit-then sure as shit, there would be some bannings a-happening at the legacy joint, and some of my favourite wiseacres would land in the playpen, if only for a little while.

Can’t say I disagree with your assessment of the Stones current affairs, though when I try and find some highlights in the clips I do it with the good-natured assumption that the bar is extremely low, relative to the legacy.

Anyways, Drake, do what you gotta do but if you’re gonna blow it up, go out in style and lay the whole MT thing bare.

It’s been alluded to, and I can probably figure it out along with most of us (professional jealousy, refusal to be real band, and nickel and diming, I’m guessing?)

StrongBeach I hear ya on the YCAGWYW thing, that rankles me too, but we’re at the logical end point of a bunch of cultural bullshit that started in the late 80’s, early 90’s. My theory: after this people will be craving someone normal and boring and dry.

And before I get back to work, StrongBeach -your new avatar is da BOMB.

Let ’em Understand Perfection!

October 5, 2017 at 10:26 am #70897
    Cocaine Eyes
    Participant

Hi all. Yesterday, I contacted Drake and told him I’ll be taking a LONG break from here. I then deleted my avatar. Drake knows my reasons for leaving. I told Drake I’d not post my reasons because it might seem unkind to some. So, I’ll just shut my mouth……button my lip

I will miss Andrew T, Nita, KRiff and Drake. One Love to all of you.  Miss You even! 

God Bless the Rolling Stones.  And thank you Drake for all you’ve done here. But really, it’s time to hang it up. 

Not into long-winded speeches about a load of crap. So…….. be well everyone and keep on loving the music you love.

~CE 🍁

October 5, 2017 at 11:19 am #70909
    keefriffhards
    Participant

I’ll offer a differing point of view, my dear young riffhards: Social media (of which internet message boards are an example) is in its infancy. We have no idea whether it will become a tool to advance human consciousness or whether it will speed our disintegration into a series of warring monkey tribes. I would posit that it is nearly impossible to “host” a message board of this sort and to avoid the petty vitriol and outright hostility which characterizes many human communities. Is it fair to look at Drake and say ‘you failed because you could not control the vicissitudes of behavior that a diverse group of people exhibit on your cyber-network’? I wouldn’t look at it like that, exactly. The dude has a job and a family to support … what was he supposed to do to try to keep an army of ingrates in line? It’s inherently absurd to post anything online. Think about it. You walk around all day in your life and you think of stuff that you find amusing or important or touching or whatever, And you grab your phone and jet those thoughts out into the aether. And then you get mad when people disagree with your precious ruminations. It’s hysterical, when you look at it from a certain perspective. Was Drake’s stewardship of EOMS lacking? Very likely. Should he have let some things go on longer than he did, and should he have nipped other things in the bud that went on far too long? No doubt. But, christ, how do you even go about determining that? I wouldn’t know how. I personally think Drake kind of became an absentee landlord. Is that a worse approach than the arbitrary pseudo-fascistic environment created by bv and his acolytes at IORR? I think not, but that’s just me. I always felt more comfortable here because I got the feeling that people were more free, more who-gives-a-fuck-I’m-just-gonna-let-this-fly … while at IORR there is a level of self-censorship in place that restrains discussion and guides it in a particular direction. I do agree with you that ultimately EOMS’s downfall was the lack of traffic. No one wants to come into a largely empty house and shout his/her opinions … at no one. What caused this, whether it was even possible to build another high-traffic Stones site when the band is so clearly at its end, when we are reduced to picking over their frail bones for the creeping signs of increased obsolescence with every new ‘tour’ … those questions are far above my pay grade. I was up at 4 this morning feeding the baby and listening to the Beethoven Quartets cycle of Shostakovich string quartets and had a very poignant moment. I was thinking about you and these boards and the other people I’ve gotten to know over the past few years … and I knew, at least for me, it was over. Having been banned at IORR I can no longer post there. This place is empty and soon to be shuttered. I will miss aspects of my experience here but I have made a precious few good friends (chief among them, you), and I depart wishing everyone in Stones-dom well. They have been a remarkable band, and we have all been remarkable fans. But they–and we–have nothing new to say. They–and we–have been endlessly recycling the same content for decades now. Ultimately, it will be time–50, 100 years from now?–for the historians to take over. To sift through the music, the books, the online discussions, and to begin to form a portrait of what this band really was. And none of us have any idea what that legacy will be. They may be forgotten. They may be footnotes in the marginalia of future reports. They may be seen as the single most important force in popular culture ever. You know what I think? I have a super-radical theory: I believe that the lasting legacy of The Rolling Stones will not be Altamont or “Satisfaction” or the endless money-grubbing world-tour-cash-grabs … it will be that their songs became intimately associated with the greatest buffoon the American people have ever elected President and that their anthem “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” became the soundtrack for the demise of the republic. (Don’t laugh; it’s just as likely as any other scenario!) It would have been nice to have kicked that around, just for shits and giggles, at IORR, but of course that was verboten, forbidden territory that reasonable adults could not be trusted to enter. And at EOMS? Well … crickets.

Thanks longbeach, you and Z are my only friends from either of the places we mention, i have given my email out to countless others but never got a reply. I wonder what it is about the internet that people mistrust. Anyway i will see you some day and i will see Z some day, and if you two friends are all i can take from all this Stones forum stuff, then i am a very lucky man.

October 5, 2017 at 11:31 am #70912
    keefriffhards
    Participant

Oh sure, D! Right as some great discussion materializes on the tour thread and here, we’re pulling the plug? Damn, that tour thread lit up like Christmas morning, and I’m too busy at work to give it the attention it deserves. I had a hunch, if I waited a bit-then sure as shit, there would be some bannings a-happening at the legacy joint, and some of my favourite wiseacres would land in the playpen, if only for a little while. Can’t say I disagree with your assessment of the Stones current affairs, though when I try and find some highlights in the clips I do it with the good-natured assumption that the bar is extremely low, relative to the legacy. Anyways, Drake, do what you gotta do but if you’re gonna blow it up, go out in style and lay the whole MT thing bare. It’s been alluded to, and I can probably figure it out along with most of us (professional jealousy, refusal to be real band, and nickel and diming, I’m guessing?) StrongBeach I hear ya on the YCAGWYW thing, that rankles me too, but we’re at the logical end point of a bunch of cultural bullshit that started in the late 80’s, early 90’s. My theory: after this people will be craving someone normal and boring and dry. And before I get back to work, StrongBeach -your new avatar is da BOMB. Let ’em Understand Perfection!

<iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/1X-C8DBd7A0?feature=oembed&wmode=transparent” name=”fitvid3″ width=”300″ height=”150″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”allowfullscreen” data-mce-fragment=”1″></iframe>

As i say Andrew i love your passion for the Stones and for this place, this is my thing about Taylor , just in my mind , i am not an insider.

I had worked it out in my own head that Mick Jagger brought Taylor along in the event of replacing Wood not Keith. Or if needed, and Keith messed up, Wood would replace Keith and Taylor would do Ronnie’s parts.

Remember in 2012 Ronnie was still a liability, no one new if he would start drinking and taking drugs again.

Mick brought Taylor along to keep Ronnie on his toes. Mick is a very clever man, very calculating.

I suspect that the reason Taylor is no longer invited is because Jagger offered him a very small amount of money to come along with the Stones once the insurance companies and Mick  were happy.

October 5, 2017 at 11:32 am #70913
    Marianita
    Participant

I’ll offer a differing point of view, my dear young riffhards: Social media (of which internet message boards are an example) is in its infancy. We have no idea whether it will become a tool to advance human consciousness or whether it will speed our disintegration into a series of warring monkey tribes. I would posit that it is nearly impossible to “host” a message board of this sort and to avoid the petty vitriol and outright hostility which characterizes many human communities. Is it fair to look at Drake and say ‘you failed because you could not control the vicissitudes of behavior that a diverse group of people exhibit on your cyber-network’? I wouldn’t look at it like that, exactly. The dude has a job and a family to support … what was he supposed to do to try to keep an army of ingrates in line? It’s inherently absurd to post anything online. Think about it. You walk around all day in your life and you think of stuff that you find amusing or important or touching or whatever, And you grab your phone and jet those thoughts out into the aether. And then you get mad when people disagree with your precious ruminations. It’s hysterical, when you look at it from a certain perspective. Was Drake’s stewardship of EOMS lacking? Very likely. Should he have let some things go on longer than he did, and should he have nipped other things in the bud that went on far too long? No doubt. But, christ, how do you even go about determining that? I wouldn’t know how. I personally think Drake kind of became an absentee landlord. Is that a worse approach than the arbitrary pseudo-fascistic environment created by bv and his acolytes at IORR? I think not, but that’s just me. I always felt more comfortable here because I got the feeling that people were more free, more who-gives-a-fuck-I’m-just-gonna-let-this-fly … while at IORR there is a level of self-censorship in place that restrains discussion and guides it in a particular direction. I do agree with you that ultimately EOMS’s downfall was the lack of traffic. No one wants to come into a largely empty house and shout his/her opinions … at no one. What caused this, whether it was even possible to build another high-traffic Stones site when the band is so clearly at its end, when we are reduced to picking over their frail bones for the creeping signs of increased obsolescence with every new ‘tour’ … those questions are far above my pay grade. I was up at 4 this morning feeding the baby and listening to the Beethoven Quartets cycle of Shostakovich string quartets and had a very poignant moment. I was thinking about you and these boards and the other people I’ve gotten to know over the past few years … and I knew, at least for me, it was over. Having been banned at IORR I can no longer post there. This place is empty and soon to be shuttered. I will miss aspects of my experience here but I have made a precious few good friends (chief among them, you), and I depart wishing everyone in Stones-dom well. They have been a remarkable band, and we have all been remarkable fans. But they–and we–have nothing new to say. They–and we–have been endlessly recycling the same content for decades now. Ultimately, it will be time–50, 100 years from now?–for the historians to take over. To sift through the music, the books, the online discussions, and to begin to form a portrait of what this band really was. And none of us have any idea what that legacy will be. They may be forgotten. They may be footnotes in the marginalia of future reports. They may be seen as the single most important force in popular culture ever. You know what I think? I have a super-radical theory: I believe that the lasting legacy of The Rolling Stones will not be Altamont or “Satisfaction” or the endless money-grubbing world-tour-cash-grabs … it will be that their songs became intimately associated with the greatest buffoon the American people have ever elected President and that their anthem “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” became the soundtrack for the demise of the republic. (Don’t laugh; it’s just as likely as any other scenario!) It would have been nice to have kicked that around, just for shits and giggles, at IORR, but of course that was verboten, forbidden territory that reasonable adults could not be trusted to enter. And at EOMS? Well … crickets.

Thanks longbeach, you and Z are my only friends from either of the places we mention, i have given my email out to countless others but never got a reply. I wonder what it is about the internet that people mistrust. Anyway i will see you some day and i will see Z some day, and if you two friends are all i can take from all this Stones forum stuff, then i am a very lucky man.

Bilderesultat for girl saying what gif

October 5, 2017 at 11:34 am #70914
    Marianita
    Participant

ok some good music before we go home

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.