The concert that left you most disappointed

• October 23, 2015 at 4:44 pm #24838
    bluzdude
    Participant

1968 the Doors

The band played for 30 minutes then Morrison sat down and read poetry for about a half hour, the crowd was silent when they left. Jerry Lee Lewis was booed for playing too long, I thought he was great.

1969 Creedence Clearwater Revival

They played for 35 minutes and you could not hear Tom’s rhythm guitar, an important part of the band’s sound.

….and yours?

I can't tell you the way I feel because the way I feel is oh so new to me.......or whatever

October 23, 2015 at 5:07 pm #24839
    Ebling
    Participant

1986…Black Flag at the 3D Club in Wichita. Was completely excited to see these guys as I’d gotten heavily into punk/hardcore at the time. Three songs into the opening band’s set and the place fills up with police. Plug was pulled, we were all sent home….I’m still pissed 30 yrs later.

2007 or 2008…The Police at the Sprint Center in KCMO. I got into their early records after they broke up.  Just figured they were one band I’d never get to see.  They just weren’t that good.  Way too much of Sting’s “Ohoh. A’yo-yo-yo” vocal shite. At least Elvis Costello opened with a solid set.

October 23, 2015 at 5:16 pm #24843
    StrongBeach
    Participant

1978 – Rolling Stones – Anaheim Stadium – the “shoe” concert

After a blistering “Let it Rock,” the wheels came off. I realized that the band I had formerly loved no longer existed and that it had been replaced by the rock’n’roll equivalent of a Bob Hope USO performance. That’s entertainment!

October 23, 2015 at 5:22 pm #24847
    CindyC
    Participant

Columbus, RSs 2015.      Flew out there wanted to have fun.    Couldn’t find my friends due to spotty cell phones service, got stuck standing next to a bozo who kept screaming into my eardrums.   Ruined the show.   Floor seats sucked.  Was too far to the side to see anything except the one screen in front of me.

Alternatively, I went to an MC Hammer show back in the 90’s just because I had a free ticket and nothing else to do.   I had no interest in the show at all, but it was one of the most fun, energetic shows I’ve ever seen.   I was on my feet the whole time having a blast.   I enjoyed it so much, I went again the second night.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well

October 23, 2015 at 5:23 pm #24848
    CindyC
    Participant

The Police at the Sprint Center in KCMO. I got into their early records after they broke up. Just figured they were one band I’d never get to see. They just weren’t that good. Way too much of Sting’s “Ohoh. A’yo-yo-yo” vocal shite. At least Elvis Costello opened with a solid set.

I saw Sting at the small stage at MSG in the 90’s.   What a bore.   I fell asleep.

October 23, 2015 at 5:35 pm #24853
    Naturalust
    Participant

Black Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio.  I was in the front row for this one and couldn’t find anything to like about the singer. Maybe his voice was strained that night but he spent the whole night croaking out terrible impressions of Ozzy and flashing the bull horns sign (or whatever it is)  with his hands. Trying way too hard to be some evil incarnation of a metal God, I was terribly disappointed.

October 23, 2015 at 5:43 pm #24857
    bluzdude
    Participant

Black Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio. I was in the front row for this one and couldn’t find anything to like about the singer. Maybe his voice was strained that night but he spent the whole night croaking out terrible impressions of Ozzy and flashing the bull horns sign (or whatever it is) with his hands. Trying way too hard to be some evil incarnation of a metal God, I was terribly disappointed.

I’m surprised – I wonder if Dio had an off night?

I saw Black Sabbath in 1983 in Stockholm with Ian Gillan on vocals, that was an interesting experience watching all the chairs on the floor being piled up at the rear of the floor by the end of the evening.

I can't tell you the way I feel because the way I feel is oh so new to me.......or whatever

October 23, 2015 at 5:44 pm #24859
    treaclefingers
    Participant

zz top 1984 Vancouver…boring!  Dire straits 1986 I think…ugh.  U2 1998.

October 23, 2015 at 5:48 pm #24861
    Stoneburst
    Participant

Back when I was young and stupid I saw Oasis on what turned out to be their farewell tour. They redefined playing by numbers, and radiated contempt for the audience the whole night. I never really dug their music again after that (although I was growing out of it anyway).

The first time I saw Clapton (2010, I think) he completely phoned it in and seemed like he’d rather have been anywhere else. He was/is a real inspiration to me, so that was pretty disappointing. That said, he’s still got it, and when I saw him earlier this year he was flat out incredible, playing from another dimension. It was a couple of days after BB passed and I think he was consciously paying it back, so to speak.

October 23, 2015 at 5:54 pm #24865
    CindyC
    Participant

I still enjoy the first couple of Oasis records.    Just as well they stopped touring.    Liam blew his voice out after the 3rd or 4th album anyway.   I saw them when they toured with Jet, maybe 10 years ago?   it was gone by then.

October 24, 2015 at 12:20 am #24900
    Z
    Participant

Bob Dylan in Be’er Sheva, Israel, 1993. It was surreal, I’m not sure it really happened. I can’t remember how long I stayed there but I left before him.

Mick Taylor at the Dead Sea Blues Festival, 1990. I don’t know if I was disappointed because I think I didn’t expect much, it was just kinda sad to me, you know… What’s a sweetheart like you doing in a dump like this?

October 24, 2015 at 9:37 am #24941
    Breath
    Participant

I have enjoyed each and every minute that I’ve been alive on planet earth.  except the current one….

October 24, 2015 at 10:54 am #24955
    moonlightaffair
    Participant

When I traveled to Oakland to see the Stones in 2013 and Mick Taylor only played on one song! Big disappointment! It was the beginning of the tour and several Keith quotes made it seem like MT would be playing more.

October 24, 2015 at 11:51 am #24962
    Stoneburst
    Participant

Bob Dylan in Be’er Sheva, Israel, 1993. It was surreal, I’m not sure it really happened. I can’t remember how long I stayed there but I left before him. Mick Taylor at the Dead Sea Blues Festival, 1990. I don’t know if I was disappointed because I think I didn’t expect much, it was just kinda sad to me, you know… What’s a sweetheart like you doing in a dump like this?

I think I once read an interview with Taylor where he said that 1990 gig was one of his least favourite ever (although I can’t remember why he felt this way).

October 24, 2015 at 11:57 am #24965
    andrew t
    Participant

Wilson Pickett at Jazzfest in New Orleans. 2001.

He came on 20 minutes late. Was high on crack or something, introducing himself by saying he was just at the hospital, “but I had to come here and see all you beautiful people”. He then would stop songs after one verse and try and get girls from the audience up on stage to sing the rest, which they did with predictable results.

Pickett spent the rest of his allotted time trying to Mack on the stage girls while the band tried to figure out how to vamp through it. He never finished a single song, he would just start new ones out of nowhere and hand it over to the “lovely ladies” from the audience.

Another legend blown.

October 24, 2015 at 3:58 pm #24990
    Bliss
    Participant

Eric Clapton, 2008. It was the dullest, least inspired concert I have ever gone to, even though it was note for note perfect. Clapton didn’t smile once, didn’t thank the audience for coming, no stage clothes or light show. He just phoned it in, and left the stage. And it was horrifically expensive; $400 for two seats practically up in the nosebleed section.

October 24, 2015 at 4:59 pm #25003
    Breath
    Participant

Eric Clapton, 2008. It was the dullest, least inspired concert I have ever gone to, even though it was note for note perfect. Clapton didn’t smile once, didn’t thank the audience for coming, no stage clothes or light show. He just phoned it in, and left the stage. And it was horrifically expensive; $400 for two seats practically up in the nosebleed section.

worth every penny, i’m sure.

October 25, 2015 at 11:28 am #25063
    munichhilton
    Participant

The Police at the Sprint Center in KCMO. I got into their early records after they broke up. Just figured they were one band I’d never get to see. They just weren’t that good. Way too much of Sting’s “Ohoh. A’yo-yo-yo” vocal shite. At least Elvis Costello opened with a solid set.

You’re either half crazy or almost mostly crazy

That was the best $200 you ever spent and you should say thanks can I give you some more…

It was May 13th of 2008 by the way and they absolutely killed it with the jam in World Is Running Down.

Plus they opened with Bring On The Night!!!

How great that show is still. I saw them 9 days later in Houston which also kicked ass.

Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of lessers-

October 25, 2015 at 2:23 pm #25064
    mingsubu
    Participant

John Mayer, Pinkpop ’14. After catching him with the Stones in Newark, I was looking fowaRd to his set.  I was so bummed and bored.

October 25, 2015 at 2:50 pm #25065
    ChicagoStoned
    Participant

Rolling Stones June 3 2013.  Taylor Swift made me want to vomit.  I also felt that the band Sounded uninspired that night.   It reminded me of watching my dog get old.  I love her dearly and i would never pass up the opportunity to watch her, but its still sad.  I’m glad the band gave a significantly better performance in Milwaukee last summer.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags

Recently Active Members

Profile picture of Socrates
Profile picture of angee
Profile picture of DandelionPowderman
Profile picture of jasona93
Profile picture of Marianita
Profile picture of Cocaine Eyes
Profile picture of stonehearted
Profile picture of OldSoul
Profile picture of keefriffhards
Profile picture of treaclefingers
Profile picture of goo
Profile picture of devdev
Profile picture of StrongBeach
Profile picture of D
Profile picture of Doxa
Profile picture of Z
Profile picture of Nikkei
Profile picture of tauk
Profile picture of Ale Lacasa
Profile picture of Stoneburst
Profile picture of Upgreydd
Profile picture of andrew t
Profile picture of Roll Me
Profile picture of SelenePhoenix
Profile picture of ReginaPhalange
Profile picture of illusion
Profile picture of Ebling
Profile picture of MidnightPeanut
Profile picture of Redhotcarpetred
Profile picture of bluzdude
Profile picture of VT22
Profile picture of detroitken
Profile picture of hwkn
Profile picture of mgarciaisaia
Profile picture of two4fun111
Profile picture of Chris

Mission Statement

This forum is dedicated to an open discussion of all things Rolling Stones.  From new fans to hardcore veterans, everyone is welcome.  Forum is moderated lightly.  The golden rule is in effect. Let the discussions run rampant, as long as personal insults stay at the door!