Rolling Stones isolated and backing tracks

• October 13, 2015 at 5:04 pm #23705
    stonehearted
    Participant

Hearing isolated tracks of a song, whether a single instrument or a backing track or particular layers of a backing track, may enhance one’s appreciation for certain songs, as you might hear things you hadn’t noticed before.

October 13, 2015 at 5:05 pm #23706
    stonehearted
    Participant

October 13, 2015 at 5:06 pm #23707
    stonehearted
    Participant

October 13, 2015 at 5:19 pm #23708
    Naturalust
    Participant

Good topic Stonehearted.  As a studio geek and musician I have always loved pulling up multitracks and soloing specific parts for a critical listen. I’d LOVE to get my hands on some of the Stones multitracks to analyze how the mixes were put together. There is precious little of that stuff available and no doubt the Stones protect the multitracks with some diligence.

Some of the stuff I’ve been able to play with include some Aerosmith stuff, Fleetwood Mac Rumors and David Bowie’s Fame. The latter which was done on 16 tracks, given to me by Mr. Bowie himself  and includes a track of John Lennon banging a rhythmic accompaniment on acoustic guitar and shouting “fame” every now and then. Great stuff.

Soloing Steven Tyler’s vocals on any given multitrack gives you a feel of what a fantastic vocalist the guy is. He really puts it out there on every take and is a joy to listen to when soloed. Other amazing stuff like the multi-instrumental accompaniment that was done for Fleetwood Mac’s “Songbird” and then all scrapped for the simple piano and vocal mix we hear on the record.  Often it’s what we don’t hear in the final mixes which tells a better story of how the records were made.

October 13, 2015 at 5:19 pm #23709
    Dreamer
    Participant

Great thread!

Beautiful. Some songs are when hearing ‘isolated’ indeed (very) beautiful. And not just for hearing things you hadn’t noticed before. But also for noticing things you don’t hear now…like MJ’s vocals! How extraordinary they in fact are…the forgotten instrument perhaps? UMT is nothing without the vocals…a ditty far below par. While SAR finally reveals NH absolutely can’t be missed on songs like this.

October 13, 2015 at 5:54 pm #23712
    Marianita
    Participant

Don't you think it's sometimes wise not to grow up?

October 13, 2015 at 5:55 pm #23713
    D
    Keymaster

I’ll start uploading what I have in this regard.  Always loved the multitrack mixes that separated everything out on Let It Bleed etc..

October 13, 2015 at 5:57 pm #23714
    Marianita
    Participant

Don't you think it's sometimes wise not to grow up?

October 13, 2015 at 6:02 pm #23715
    Naturalust
    Participant

I’ll start uploading what I have in this regard. Always loved the multitrack mixes that separated everything out on Let It Bleed etc..

You’ve got multitracks of Let It Bleed?  Not that that particular record is that difficult to dissect due to the simple production but I’d love to hear the harmony vocals and other more buried stuff soloed! Bring it on man!

Personally I less excited about instrumental tracks where the vocals were removed with DSP programs, while interesting, there is always some funky EQ that results in the vocal ranges and it tends to detract somewhat from the actual sound of the recorded backing tracks.

October 13, 2015 at 7:15 pm #23718
    CR
    Participant

This is great:

Gonna find my way to heaven, 'cause I did my time in hell

October 13, 2015 at 9:03 pm #23720
    Naturalust
    Participant

Yeah good stuff CR!  I’ve heard the song so many times my mind was filling in the music note for note. LOL

October 13, 2015 at 9:35 pm #23722
    shesarainbow
    Participant

Yeah good stuff CR! I’ve heard the song so many times my mind was filling in the music note for note. LOL

That’s the best. No wonder my guitar teacher used to encourage me to “sing” the music haha.

October 14, 2015 at 4:26 pm #23811
    andrew t
    Participant

These are outrageously cool! Sympathy isolated tracks.

Nicky’s brilliant piano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bETAMbYRjV0

Here’s Keith guitar solo…solo’d. Starts at 4:45.

Keith on bass:

Mick and the back up vox:

October 15, 2015 at 1:47 am #23841
    StrongBeach
    Participant

Good topic Stonehearted. As a studio geek and musician I have always loved pulling up multitracks and soloing specific parts for a critical listen. I’d LOVE to get my hands on some of the Stones multitracks to analyze how the mixes were put together. There is precious little of that stuff available and no doubt the Stones protect the multitracks with some diligence. Some of the stuff I’ve been able to play with include some Aerosmith stuff, Fleetwood Mac Rumors and David Bowie’s Fame. The latter which was done on 16 tracks, given to me by Mr. Bowie himself and includes a track of John Lennon banging a rhythmic accompaniment on acoustic guitar and shouting “fame” every now and then. Great stuff. Soloing Steven Tyler’s vocals on any given multitrack gives you a feel of what a fantastic vocalist the guy is. He really puts it out there on every take and is a joy to listen to when soloed. Other amazing stuff like the multi-instrumental accompaniment that was done for Fleetwood Mac’s “Songbird” and then all scrapped for the simple piano and vocal mix we hear on the record. Often it’s what we don’t hear in the final mixes which tells a better story of how the records were made.

Uh, NL, you do NOT get to drop a line like “given to me by Mr. Bowie himself” without just a tad more detail. Please.

I think that at least in the case of The Rolling Stones, these isolated tracks illustrate what studio wizards the band were in their heyday. While they are definitely cool to listen to, with the sole exception of the vocal track from “Gimme Shelter,” none of the Stones iso’s I’ve ever heard impressed me much. (Even Nicky’s–sorry!) But when you listen to the finished product? Damn, those boys knew how to construct a final track! Very little that they do, as individual instrumentalists, seems particularly tricky or inventive to me (although to be fair you can probably say that about a LOT of rock music).

Their enduring genius lies in writing and assembling mini pop masterpieces in the studio. Very few people have ever been better than the Glimmers at that!

November 27, 2015 at 12:35 pm #29604
    stonehearted
    Participant

19th Nervous Breakdown, backing rhythm track.

Attachments:
    November 27, 2015 at 12:39 pm #29606
    Breath
    Participant

karaoke stones. we don’t need no stinkin’ mick jagger.

November 27, 2015 at 1:54 pm #29608
    stonehearted
    Participant

19th Nervous Breakdown, guitar and bass overdub track.

Attachments:
    November 27, 2015 at 3:34 pm #29624
    stonehearted
    Participant

19th Nervous Breakdown, alternate vocals track.

Attachments:
    November 27, 2015 at 3:51 pm #29629
    Naturalust
    Participant

Good topic Stonehearted. As a studio geek and musician I have always loved pulling up multitracks and soloing specific parts for a critical listen. I’d LOVE to get my hands on some of the Stones multitracks to analyze how the mixes were put together. There is precious little of that stuff available and no doubt the Stones protect the multitracks with some diligence. Some of the stuff I’ve been able to play with include some Aerosmith stuff, Fleetwood Mac Rumors and David Bowie’s Fame. The latter which was done on 16 tracks, given to me by Mr. Bowie himself and includes a track of John Lennon banging a rhythmic accompaniment on acoustic guitar and shouting “fame” every now and then. Great stuff. Soloing Steven Tyler’s vocals on any given multitrack gives you a feel of what a fantastic vocalist the guy is. He really puts it out there on every take and is a joy to listen to when soloed. Other amazing stuff like the multi-instrumental accompaniment that was done for Fleetwood Mac’s “Songbird” and then all scrapped for the simple piano and vocal mix we hear on the record. Often it’s what we don’t hear in the final mixes which tells a better story of how the records were made.

Uh, NL, you do NOT get to drop a line like “given to me by Mr. Bowie himself” without just a tad more detail. Please. I think that at least in the case of The Rolling Stones, these isolated tracks illustrate what studio wizards the band were in their heyday. While they are definitely cool to listen to, with the sole exception of the vocal track from “Gimme Shelter,” none of the Stones iso’s I’ve ever heard impressed me much. (Even Nicky’s–sorry!) But when you listen to the finished product? Damn, those boys knew how to construct a final track! Very little that they do, as individual instrumentalists, seems particularly tricky or inventive to me (although to be fair you can probably say that about a LOT of rock music). Their enduring genius lies in writing and assembling mini pop masterpieces in the studio. Very few people have ever been better than the Glimmers at that!

Hey LBA72, didn’t see your Bowie question there, I may have answered it earlier when I told you about the night we spend drinking and smoking after his SF show at the Warfield back in the 90’s. He didn’t actually hand me the multitracks himself but gave me permission to use them and  hooked me up with some people in LA who had them. They came to me shortly thereafter via Fed-Ex on 2-8 track digital DA-88 tapes, 16 tracks total. An amazingly small track count for a pop song, easy to break down and amazing to listen to and analyze how the song was constructed. I still have the tapes actually!

November 27, 2015 at 7:29 pm #29635
    stonehearted
    Participant

19th Nervous Breakdown, master vocals.

Attachments:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags

Recently Active Members

Profile picture of Marianita
Profile picture of Cocaine Eyes
Profile picture of DandelionPowderman
Profile picture of jasona93
Profile picture of Socrates
Profile picture of stonehearted
Profile picture of angee
Profile picture of OldSoul
Profile picture of keefriffhards
Profile picture of treaclefingers
Profile picture of goo
Profile picture of devdev
Profile picture of StrongBeach
Profile picture of D
Profile picture of Doxa
Profile picture of Z
Profile picture of Nikkei
Profile picture of tauk
Profile picture of Ale Lacasa
Profile picture of Stoneburst
Profile picture of Upgreydd
Profile picture of andrew t
Profile picture of Roll Me
Profile picture of SelenePhoenix
Profile picture of ReginaPhalange
Profile picture of illusion
Profile picture of Ebling
Profile picture of MidnightPeanut
Profile picture of Redhotcarpetred
Profile picture of bluzdude
Profile picture of VT22
Profile picture of detroitken
Profile picture of hwkn
Profile picture of mgarciaisaia
Profile picture of two4fun111
Profile picture of Chris

Mission Statement

This forum is dedicated to an open discussion of all things Rolling Stones.  From new fans to hardcore veterans, everyone is welcome.  Forum is moderated lightly.  The golden rule is in effect. Let the discussions run rampant, as long as personal insults stay at the door!