OT: The new Stone Roses single

• May 12, 2016 at 5:03 pm #47186
    andrew t
    Participant

Quite a bit of hype for this reunion, especially from lads of a certain vintage. Pretty catchy tune, very much made to appear as if  almost 22 years haven’t passed since the last one. Would we want the Stones to do something similar? Make a “sixties” sounding, old school pop record?

May 12, 2016 at 6:22 pm #47191
    stonehearted
    Participant

Would we want the Stones to do something similar? Make a “sixties” sounding, old school pop record?

A sequel to Let It Bleed and Beggars Banquet? Sure!

1. Gimme Tax Shelter

2. Lawn Mowin’ Man

3. Limping Jack Flash

4. Pensioner Woman

5. Let O2 Feed

6. Midday Shambler

7. Tame Cat Blues

8. Moneyed Man

9. You can’t Always Eat What You Want

May 13, 2016 at 12:59 pm #47233
    StrongBeach
    Participant

Would we want the Stones to do something similar? Make a “sixties” sounding, old school pop record?

You mean like “Streets of Love”? 🙂

Seriously, though, I have reached the point where I have absolutely no expectations for any new Stones material, nor any wishes about what form (blues covers, “classic” rock, quirky originals, whatever) that material should take.

It’s a very odd thing, really, an artist trying to meet the expectations of his/her audience. I was reading this morning about Danny Boyle shooting <i>Trainspotting 2</i> and was utterly mystified. I get the commercial advantages to pumping out a sequel and trying to capitalize on some remaining vestige of brand equity, esp in an age where new, original material must battle so hard to be heard or seen above the noise and generally cacophony. But why would someone choose to revisit something s/he had done decades before, if not for money? I guess if The Stones felt like they had left something on the cutting room floor during the Aftermath or Between the Buttons sessions then revisiting that territory in an effort to say something new about that sort of vibe might make sense. Otherwise, the chances of such an effort ending up sounding like “Streets of Love” are probably pretty high.

There’s a great Bowie clip circulating now about staying true to your vision, not working to meet others’ expectations of you, and operating outside your comfort zone:

May 13, 2016 at 2:21 pm #47242
    Socrates
    Participant

I predict that the new Stones album will not sound like Streets of Love.

May 13, 2016 at 2:22 pm #47243
    Breath
    Participant

there’s a new stones album?

May 13, 2016 at 2:32 pm #47244
    Socrates
    Participant

Yes. 

May 13, 2016 at 4:09 pm #47255
    andrew t
    Participant

You mean like “Streets of Love”? 🙂

Gah! I was thinking more like Dandelion, or Under My Thumb. The idea being to reclaim a bit of that old songcraft we go on about. Not that I actually think it would happen. Re: the Bowie clip…Mick & Keith do nothing but play to the gallery. I wouldn’t presume they’d change now. I only mention 60’s sounding because the Stones Roses song is very 60’s sounding, and because it’s when The Stones wrote catchy hooks.

May 13, 2016 at 5:16 pm #47272
    Breadth
    Participant

You mean like “Streets of Love”? 🙂

Gah! I was thinking more like Dandelion, or Under My Thumb. The idea being to reclaim a bit of that old songcraft we go on about. Not that I actually think it would happen. Re: the Bowie clip…Mick & Keith do nothing but play to the gallery. I wouldn’t presume they’d change now. I only mention 60’s sounding because the Stones Roses song is very 60’s sounding, and because it’s when The Stones wrote catchy hooks.

but they forgot how to write those  around 1983

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags

Recently Active Members

Profile picture of Marianita
Profile picture of Cocaine Eyes
Profile picture of DandelionPowderman
Profile picture of jasona93
Profile picture of Socrates
Profile picture of stonehearted
Profile picture of angee
Profile picture of OldSoul
Profile picture of keefriffhards
Profile picture of treaclefingers
Profile picture of goo
Profile picture of devdev
Profile picture of StrongBeach
Profile picture of D
Profile picture of Doxa
Profile picture of Z
Profile picture of Nikkei
Profile picture of tauk
Profile picture of Ale Lacasa
Profile picture of Stoneburst
Profile picture of Upgreydd
Profile picture of andrew t
Profile picture of Roll Me
Profile picture of SelenePhoenix
Profile picture of ReginaPhalange
Profile picture of illusion
Profile picture of Ebling
Profile picture of MidnightPeanut
Profile picture of Redhotcarpetred
Profile picture of bluzdude
Profile picture of VT22
Profile picture of detroitken
Profile picture of hwkn
Profile picture of mgarciaisaia
Profile picture of two4fun111
Profile picture of Chris

Mission Statement

This forum is dedicated to an open discussion of all things Rolling Stones.  From new fans to hardcore veterans, everyone is welcome.  Forum is moderated lightly.  The golden rule is in effect. Let the discussions run rampant, as long as personal insults stay at the door!