OT: Photos – Life of a Stones fan

• October 26, 2015 at 11:44 am #25336
    D
    Keymaster

This thread is for all of us to share whatever we feel like sharing. Personally I find it intriguing to see what fellow fans are doing across the world. Today I am filming at a Cooperidge who specialize in high-end wine barrels.

Attachments:
    October 26, 2015 at 11:54 am #25338
    Breath
    Participant

do you know that some of the largest distilleries in Scotland actually own the oak forests in the US that are used for barrels for bourbon?    and there’s a very good reason for that if anyone is interested and doesn’t already know…

October 26, 2015 at 12:22 pm #25341
    Stoneburst
    Participant

do you know that some of the largest distilleries in Scotland actually own the oak forests in the US that are used for barrels for bourbon? and there’s a very good reason for that if anyone is interested and doesn’t already know…

Interesting, what’s the story? Also, which distilleries?

October 26, 2015 at 12:29 pm #25342
    Breath
    Participant

I believe GlenFiddich and GlenLivet are among those investing in the US oak forests.   The reason?  Although the bourbon industry has a stake in the oak – they are the first-barrel fills (by law, bourbon must be aged in virgin oak)…these barrels are then taken down and shipped to cooperidges in Scotland, where they are rebuilt and used for whiskey ageing there.  Scotch, by law, must be aged in non-first-fill barrels.  They also use Spanish sherry barrels for some of the “sweeter” whiskies.  The Scots may used these barrels 3 or 4 times, for up to 20-30 years in some cases, so they have a much larger vested interest in the quality of the original wood.

October 26, 2015 at 12:32 pm #25344
    treaclefingers
    Participant

I believe GlenFiddich and GlenLivet are among those investing in the US oak forests. The reason? Although the bourbon industry has a stake in the oak – they are the first-barrel fills (by law, bourbon must be aged in virgin oak)…these barrels are then taken down and shipped to cooperidges in Scotland, where they are rebuilt and used for whiskey ageing there. Scotch, by law, must be aged in non-first-fill barrels. They also use Spanish sherry barrels for some of the “sweeter” whiskies. The Scots may used these barrels 3 or 4 times, for up to 20-30 years in some cases, so they have a much larger vested interest in the quality of the original wood.

Scots are so damn cheap…I demand freshness in my barrels and my scotch.  Anything over a year old starts tasting a bit gamey.

October 26, 2015 at 12:38 pm #25347
    StrongBeach
    Participant

The toddler and I are puttin this together today if it kills us.

Attachments:
    October 26, 2015 at 12:41 pm #25349
    Breath
    Participant

I hope i’m not the tod-dler in demand here….

October 26, 2015 at 12:43 pm #25351
    StrongBeach
    Participant

I hope i’m not the tod-dler in demand here….

No … But perhaps the contents of a few of those barrels might help us.

October 26, 2015 at 1:12 pm #25355
    Stoneburst
    Participant

I believe GlenFiddich and GlenLivet are among those investing in the US oak forests. The reason? Although the bourbon industry has a stake in the oak – they are the first-barrel fills (by law, bourbon must be aged in virgin oak)…these barrels are then taken down and shipped to cooperidges in Scotland, where they are rebuilt and used for whiskey ageing there. Scotch, by law, must be aged in non-first-fill barrels. They also use Spanish sherry barrels for some of the “sweeter” whiskies. The Scots may used these barrels 3 or 4 times, for up to 20-30 years in some cases, so they have a much larger vested interest in the quality of the original wood.

That’s fascinating, I had no idea. Thanks.

October 26, 2015 at 1:14 pm #25356
    bluzdude
    Participant

Speaking of Scotch,

not it too long ago a friend gave me a bottle of Notch single malt – 10 years old. I looked on the Internet to see how much it cost, but I can’t find anything except for this special one coming in at $888, which I’m sure this isn’t.

I really don’t want to ask him what he paid for it.

I can't tell you the way I feel because the way I feel is oh so new to me.......or whatever

October 26, 2015 at 1:52 pm #25357
    Breath
    Participant

who cares what it cost?  how does it TASTE?

October 26, 2015 at 2:08 pm #25359
    bluzdude
    Participant

Better than some 15 yr olds I’ve tasted

….(scotch that is….)

I can't tell you the way I feel because the way I feel is oh so new to me.......or whatever

October 26, 2015 at 2:14 pm #25360
    Breath
    Participant

Better than some 15 yr olds I’ve tasted ….(scotch that is….)

sounds like a significant “notch” above your typical whisky.  by the way, as you know – in Scotland nobody calls it Scotch.

October 26, 2015 at 2:36 pm #25362
    bluzdude
    Participant

Better than some 15 yr olds I’ve tasted ….(scotch that is….)

sounds like a significant “notch” above your typical whisky. by the way, as you know – in Scotland nobody calls it Scotch.

Just like in New York, nobody knows what a New York steak is and in San Francisco they never heard of Rice a Roni ( the San Francisco treat)

October 26, 2015 at 2:40 pm #25363
    Z
    Participant

Walking the dog this afternoon.

Attachments:
    October 26, 2015 at 3:05 pm #25367
    StrongBeach
    Participant

SUCCESS!!!

Attachments:
    October 26, 2015 at 3:06 pm #25369
    StrongBeach
    Participant

Great lookin dog, Z, and spectacular terrain–where is that?

October 26, 2015 at 3:20 pm #25374
    Z
    Participant

31°15’13.8″N 35°13’27.1″E

October 26, 2015 at 3:27 pm #25375
    Breath
    Participant

31°15’13.8″N 35°13’27.1″E

I always have troubling pronouncing that place…

October 26, 2015 at 3:50 pm #25380
    Z
    Participant

Canaan

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags

Recently Active Members

Profile picture of Marianita
Profile picture of Cocaine Eyes
Profile picture of DandelionPowderman
Profile picture of jasona93
Profile picture of Socrates
Profile picture of stonehearted
Profile picture of angee
Profile picture of OldSoul
Profile picture of keefriffhards
Profile picture of treaclefingers
Profile picture of goo
Profile picture of devdev
Profile picture of StrongBeach
Profile picture of D
Profile picture of Doxa
Profile picture of Z
Profile picture of Nikkei
Profile picture of tauk
Profile picture of Ale Lacasa
Profile picture of Stoneburst
Profile picture of Upgreydd
Profile picture of andrew t
Profile picture of Roll Me
Profile picture of SelenePhoenix
Profile picture of ReginaPhalange
Profile picture of illusion
Profile picture of Ebling
Profile picture of MidnightPeanut
Profile picture of Redhotcarpetred
Profile picture of bluzdude
Profile picture of VT22
Profile picture of detroitken
Profile picture of hwkn
Profile picture of mgarciaisaia
Profile picture of two4fun111
Profile picture of Chris

Mission Statement

This forum is dedicated to an open discussion of all things Rolling Stones.  From new fans to hardcore veterans, everyone is welcome.  Forum is moderated lightly.  The golden rule is in effect. Let the discussions run rampant, as long as personal insults stay at the door!