• October 11, 2017 at 12:33 pm #71185
    StrongBeach
    Participant

This one’s got a very “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” vibe, at least to my ears:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/premieres/hear-bob-dylans-lost-gospel-song-making-a-liar-out-of-me-w507517

October 11, 2017 at 3:34 pm #71187
    tauk
    Participant

This one’s got a very “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” vibe, at least to my ears: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/premieres/hear-bob-dylans-lost-gospel-song-making-a-liar-out-of-me-w507517

Strongbeach: Thanks for this info & video. I had the 3 studio released albums of the gospel period on vinyl back when they came out 1979-81. But then, in 1981,  I lent them to a friend who moved to Chicago with her drug addict boyfriend and she took these 3 albums with her. She came home one day to find absolutely everything inside the apt gone-he sold everything they had in one day. I often wondered if anyone in possession of my Dylan gospel albums ever listened to them.  😕

I didn’t know there were any bootlegs of other material, or any other material of any type from this period. I just thought there were the 3 albums, “Slow Train Coming”, “Saved”, and “Shot of Love” So, of course, I have them on CD now…I’d love to get this “8 CD plus DVD” when it comes out. That sounds like a whole lotta music.

O.K.. I’m getting myself schooled now about this– on YT just now I found this…outtakes from this period

Live version of the first single heard on radio from “Slow Train Coming” 1979 album

Live version from 2nd gospel period album, “Saved” 1980 “Pressing On”

Alternate (Live I think) version of the album’s title song from “Shot of Love” 1981 from Toronto I believe.

"The Tauk Abides" (inspired from "The Big Lebowski" film-Jeff Bridges' last line)

'I need a..I need a bohemian atmosphere" ("Performance" Warner Brothers film)

October 11, 2017 at 4:57 pm #71188
    StrongBeach
    Participant

Damn, those are killer tracks, Tauk. Amazing what a rave-up soul revue rockin sound Bob had goin in those days. Dude’s come through so much, been here and back again, been over yonder and around the bend.

P.S.: sounds like that drug addict boyfriend coulda used a shot of love.

October 11, 2017 at 7:39 pm #71190
    tauk
    Participant

Damn, those are killer tracks, Tauk. Amazing what a rave-up soul revue rockin sound Bob had goin in those days. Dude’s come through so much, been here and back again, been over yonder and around the bend. P.S.: sounds like that drug addict boyfriend coulda used a shot of love.

strongbeach: Thanks. Ya, he could really rock when he wanted to. And hearing “Slow Train Coming” on the regular, secular radio with gospel lyrics was such a unique thing.

Re.P.S.: sounds like that drug addict boyfriend coulda used a shot of love.

Ha! Well that’s the first time I ever had a laugh about that memory…although now that I’ve laughed I feel guilty…not funny, he died of AIDS from drug use. But I’m still great friends with my friend..37 year old friendship by now…

There’s so much I’ve yet to learn about Bob Dylan…but he’s in my very top List of my favs and top of my Bucket List to see in person..

Now, if I can EVER FIND a church with this type of singing I swear I’d LIVE in the place like a Zealot, a Protestant Nun ..or return to my 70’s “Jesus People-Big Cross-Wearing” phase. There wasn’t the wide range of Christian gospel or especially Christian ROCK music back then as there is now..other than the pioneer Larry Norman and his protege, Randy Stonehill. So when Dylan came out with this is was nirvana.

"The Tauk Abides" (inspired from "The Big Lebowski" film-Jeff Bridges' last line)

October 12, 2017 at 4:55 am #71195
    Marianita
    Participant

This is good news, me like. Nice vid’s Tauk. Does anyone know about some other gospel influenced artist or bands, any good records? . BTW Street legal is my numero 1 Dylan record.

Don't you think it's sometimes wise not to grow up?

October 12, 2017 at 4:35 pm #71214
    Cocaine Eyes
    Participant

To Andrew. This is the one we were talking about. ‘Nuff said!

~CE 🍁

October 13, 2017 at 12:17 am #71225
    Socrates
    Participant

:: Cheers emoticon ::   :mrgreen:

October 13, 2017 at 12:40 am #71226
    tauk
    Participant

This is good news, me like. Nice vid’s Tauk. Does anyone know about some other gospel influenced artist or bands, any good records? . BTW Street legal is my numero 1 Dylan record.

hey marianta-well, there’s been a few artists who do primarily secular music who once in a while put out a gospel tune or two (The Stones for instance). Van Morrison is an artist I know of who has put out some “gospel”tinged or what you might call traditional hymn sounding sChristian songs. He has an album called “Hymns to the Silence” -_ 3 CD’s in the set. Plus on another album, called “Too Long In Exile” he mixes Gospel/Christian songs with secular songs. Here’s a screenshot of my itunes Playlist of “Inspirational/Spiritual songs from Van Morrison.

InspirationalSpiritual-songs-Van-Morrison-screenshot-of-my-itunes-Playlist-

October 13, 2017 at 1:11 am #71231
    tauk
    Participant

Elvis Presley, whose voice imo can produce a somewhat “sacred” tone even in some of his secular songs, also put out a lot of “Gospel” –even better yet, “Southern Gospel” and also what would be called more Traditional “Sacred Hymns”. His voice is so moving no matter what he sings…here are both “Gospel” (some downright fun songs with some good background singers) and also traditional “Hymns” from my screenshots from itunes Playlist.

GOSPEL-ELVIS-P-SCREENSHOT-FROM-MY-ITUNES-PLAYLIST-SONGS-1-20

GOSPEL-ELVIS-P-SCREENSHOT-FROM-MY-ITUNES-PLAYLIST-SONGS-21-26

GOSPEL-Elvis-P-from-my-itunes-X-Presley-playlist-songs-1-20-1

GOSPEL-ELVIS-P-SCREENSHOT-FROM-MY-ITUNES-PLAYLIST-SONGS-21-29

IMO Don’t miss this this one!!

October 13, 2017 at 1:51 am #71239
    tauk
    Participant

Here’s a smattering of “Gospel” or “Inspirational” songs from artists who usually produce secular only music. Sometimes these can be some of the best stuff imo!

“Presence Of The Lord” 4:48 Blind Faith Clapton, Eric CD2 “Crossroads” (4 disc set) 1969

“A Deeper Love” 4:36 Aretha Franklin Greatest Hits (1980-1994)

What can I say? It’s ARETHA! Yes, Ma’am!

“Working On A Building” 3:50 Cowboy Junkies The Trinity Session 1988

Seems when you cross a cowboy junkie with a trad. spiritual you get something unfogettable imo.

October 13, 2017 at 2:29 am #71240
    tauk
    Participant

The first person who wrote and performed Christian ROCK, as opposed to the traditional gospel or the new “Christian Contemporary” sound was Larry Norman.

Although most people probably will find this well…quaint, this was quite the cutting edge stuff for the early Christian music scene. Nowadays there are hundreds, hundreds of different Gospel/Christian/Spiritual etc artists/bands, covers the whole range of musical sounds…I’ve lost touch with what’s new on this scene for decades now…I wouldn’t even know where to start to find the new stuff…but this is good retro stuff to me…and I’m glad we have the expanded version of Bob Dylan’s coming out soon

“The Rock That Doesn’t Roll” from”Another Land” 1977 album

“Why Should the Devil Have All the Good Music”

October 13, 2017 at 2:33 am #71241
    Socrates
    Participant

Hey Tauk, I remember your pics. You’re good looking. As a man, I’m as good looking as you are. I don’t mean that I’m wearing drag…. I just mean it’s an aura-thing. You know, the days when you feel really good? That’ what I mean. When we feel good in our minds people like us.

October 13, 2017 at 2:35 am #71242
    Socrates
    Participant

Lol, and I look nothing like Larry Norman. I didn’t know you posted that dude. If I only had his hair. I was writing while you were posting. Oh the fun we have on our computers. When you think of it..

October 13, 2017 at 2:40 am #71243
    Socrates
    Participant

I thought you had a Dana Scully thing going on. Not only is it an illusion that I’m posting again. It’s an illusion that I’m posting in threes….

October 13, 2017 at 2:43 am #71244
    tauk
    Participant

Hey Tauk, I remember your pics. You’re good looking. As a man, I’m as good looking as you are. I don’t mean that I’m wearing drag…. I just mean it’s an aura-thing. You know, the days when you feel really good? That’ what I mean. When we feel good in our minds people like us.

If you think I’m good looking that’s just a testament to how good of trick photography I can pull off! Those teeny weeny little laptop computer cameras can be tilted to all kinds of different angles-I do selfies from laptop camera not cell phones btw.

A good hair day– I’ll settle for that these days. Good hair can radiate something good sometimes. Do you have longish hair, Socrates? I am biased…love longer hair on guys. Why don’t you really surprise everyone & post a pic of yourself. Oh come on–why not?

But no, we better stop talking Off Topic.

October 13, 2017 at 3:03 am #71245
    Socrates
    Participant

I’m as bald as the day is long. I can’t remember if I posted this or not, because I’ve told this story a couple times.. But a 28 year old girl did say “no way” when I showed her my drivers license picture from 1995. So, is that a bad thing? Like, I used to be really good looking? I did get her phone number by telling her she doesn’t realize how good looking she is. The Taylor Swifts sometimes get into a funk because they don’t realize how pretty they actually are.

October 13, 2017 at 3:07 am #71246
    Socrates
    Participant

I bet you think this thread is about you, don’t you? Don’t you? Don’t you? I had some dreams they were clouds in my coffee….

October 13, 2017 at 3:09 am #71247
    tauk
    Participant

Socrates, glad to “see you” tonight—reign in your mind & soul back down to us mere mortals in order to “talk” to you..wait…you’re right…here I am actually believing that we, as humans, are quote unquote “seeing and talking” on these darn glorified typewriters…aahhh

I don’t know what a Dana Scully is. I don’t think I want to??? Glad you got this info re. your fav, Bob Dylan. Isn’t it great to know that this new release is coming out?

Did you ever have Larry Norman stuff? I still have his 1977 vinyl and then, shortly after, his protege Randy Stonehill. Boy, I really thought they were cool back then. I think some of their stuff has held up well, actually, as I’m listening to it tonight. I haven’t any turntable nowadays so good to hear it again on YT. I never liked the more common “Christian Contemporary” sound…you know, that airy soft stuff, shiny, shiny, happy, happy…it wasn’t for me. Did you ever see that Seinfeld show when they heard that typical airy, shiny, smiley, happy christian contemporary music on the car radio? It was funny and spot-on.

I saw Larry Norman performing in person in fall 1978 or spring 1979 at an outdoor Christian Music Festival, sittin’ on the ground of a small college in rural Illinois. Someday I’ll tell you my little anecdotal story about how I got in trouble for that. But I won’t go Off topic here…this is about Bob Dylan, and secondarily, Gospel or other related music.so again, I hope you get to hear this new release album.

October 13, 2017 at 3:09 am #71248
    Socrates
    Participant

Hi Tauk, do people still talk about anything on all the threads on this site? I think I took everything off topic. I probably did on other threads too…Rural Illinois sounds fun. I’m editing this post.. So wait… We posted at the same time..I’m going to read your post again….

October 13, 2017 at 3:17 am #71249
    Socrates
    Participant

I wasn’t really familiar with Larry Norman at all. Dana Scully is from the X-Files. We’re on a Bob Dylan thread. I want to buy the big package with the new gospel set. I did read that there’s a 1979 show available if you order through Bob’s website. I’m not sure how I will buy the new gospel stuff yet, but I will be getting it ritually. I like that era. Oh and Shiny happy people wasn’t for me when rem recorded that one. I had thought they sold out. But that was a long time ago now. What if we turned every thread into the stream of consciousness thread?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.