• October 14, 2015 at 8:36 am #23746
    Swiss
    Participant

hey there!

Very random question, but I’m doing a presentation for a client and want to include 2 old TV commercials.
    Do you have any ideas for how/where to find a clean/clear copy of old commercials? I already checked with Levi’s archivist and historian, and they do not have them.

When it came out a million years ago, we loved this commercial–even singing it on the playground and on the bus — do you remember it?

I’d also love to include this even more psychedelic commercial.

The audience is people mainly in their 20s—so it’s even more important to have the video quality look good. Crappy wavy bleached out 7th generation copies just look “old” and therefore irrelevant, it will be hard to convey my point with crap quality.

Any suggestions happily & gratefully accepted!

thanks
    – swiss

strawberries *and* blueberries

October 14, 2015 at 10:46 am #23792
    andrew t
    Participant

You can try your local TV stations. A lot of them have ditched all the tape archives in recent years, but you never know what may still be hanging around in old air checks on 3/4″ tape. Or you can reach out to the big ad agencies, although that may be cost prohibitive.

This is an excerpt from

The Advertising Age Encyclopaedia Of  Advertising

By John McDonough, Karen Egolf

<h1 class=”gb-volume-title” dir=”ltr”></h1>

Attachments:
    October 14, 2015 at 12:39 pm #23802
    bluzdude
    Participant

Did you try the Paley Center for Media?

I can't tell you the way I feel because the way I feel is oh so new to me.......or whatever

October 14, 2015 at 3:14 pm #23807
    CindyC
    Participant

pretty cool.  I don’t remember seeing either of those commercials, but I must have because I was able to sing along for the first one, so it’s buried in there somewhere.

My favorite was always for Meow Mix.   There was one where the cat could only meow backwards, so he recorded himself  WOEM, WOEM, and then played it back in reverse so he could ask for “Meow Mix” by name.

I still say WOEM from time to time.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well

October 14, 2015 at 3:27 pm #23808
    stonehearted
    Participant

This was always my favorite….

October 14, 2015 at 4:07 pm #23809
    andrew t
    Participant

Always loved this 70’s ad. I think it may have only been in Canada. These guys clearly have the munchies.

This is early 80’s but it took the same concept a bit further and I’ve always liked this one..Whenever we scored hash we’d always quote “it’s that big chunk of fudge!”

October 14, 2015 at 4:43 pm #23815
    Swiss
    Participant

You can try your local TV stations. A lot of them have ditched all the tape archives in recent years, but you never know what may still be hanging around in old air checks on 3/4″ tape. Or you can reach out to the big ad agencies, although that may be cost prohibitive. This is an excerpt from The Advertising Age Encyclopaedia Of Advertising By John McDonough, Karen Egolf

—————–

andrew t – thank you! extremely interesting and possibly useful! I grew up in NY and remember BBDO very well, but didn’t know about CLM or its being the Levi’s ad agency. If I have time (running out of time) I will try some legacy TV stations here in the Bay Area – great idea.

Cadbury commercials—those are epic—and I can totally see “It’s the big chunk of fuuuuuudge” in the stoner/hash context – awesome!

thanks again

swiss

October 14, 2015 at 5:15 pm #23818
    Swiss
    Participant

pretty cool. I don’t remember seeing either of those commercials, but I must have because I was able to sing along for the first one, so it’s buried in there somewhere. My favorite was always for Meow Mix. There was one where the cat could only meow backwards, so he recorded himself WOEM, WOEM, and then played it back in reverse so he could ask for “Meow Mix” by name. I still say WOEM from time to time.

Cindy –  just tried to find the backward Meow Mix commercial – sounds hilarious!

WOEM,

swiss

October 14, 2015 at 5:38 pm #23823
    stonehearted
    Participant

Swiss, perhaps you needn’t worry too much about finding mint master tape versions of these old commercials–you could instead add to your presentation a bit of a historical perspective for your 20-something audience on how mass media such as television in those days wasn’t presented with the super HD clarity they take for granted now. Remember those “rabbit ears” antennas you had to juggle around to get a maybe halfway decent clear image? I remember as late as 1979 how sometimes the color would change over the screen so that people’s faces would take on the hue of barbecue chicken. But what could you do? You just sat and watched it, because that’s what there was. You viewed in between the anomalies the way you would listen in between the crackles and hiss of a vinyl record. Only three networks as well before television stations signed off for the night at around 1 a.m.–then there would be that static of black and white fuzz. I used to call that fuzz “the fighting bugs”.

Anyway, I’m glad you started this thread. You’ve got people including myself remembering and posting their favorite old TV commercials, and this thread might very well develop into a one-stop archival source for such classic advertising of the past.

Come to think of it, I remember a commercial for a Rolling Stones greatest hits album from the late seventies that I use to see on TV every day. In fact, it was my first regular exposure to the music of the Stones. I’ll have to dig that up….

October 14, 2015 at 5:50 pm #23828
    Nikkei
    Participant

great vikings. “wunderbar” is german for wonderful… i used to hang at a bar by that name. it’s now part of an irish pub franchise

October 14, 2015 at 6:23 pm #23829
    Naturalust
    Participant

As much as think that wonderful and commercial rarely belong in the same sentence…

Another possible source for these is from the actors and actors agents if the commercial included actors. I’ve got a couple friends who have done commercials and they both kept copies of all their spots to show their friends and family and to use for shopping other jobs….I know it’s a long shot.

What’s kind of scary is some of the subliminal messaging and other psychological tricks that were used on us in those commercials. I remember reading an article from an ad exec where he came clean about some of the tricks they used and thinking that as kids we didn’t stand a chance. LOL

October 14, 2015 at 7:12 pm #23831
    shesarainbow
    Participant

I am currently majoring in Advertising, so I wish I had some sort of information to help but even my advertising teachers use the grainy YouTube vids when they’re showing us old ads haha! I’ll ask one of my teachers tomorrow and see if I can find any info for you.. Good luck.

October 15, 2015 at 2:04 am #23843
    Swiss
    Participant

Did you try the Paley Center for Media?

Thanks, bluzdude, I’ll look into it!

October 15, 2015 at 2:59 am #23844
    Swiss
    Participant

Swiss, perhaps you needn’t worry too much about finding mint master tape versions of these old commercials–you could instead add to your presentation a bit of a historical perspective for your 20-something audience on how mass media such as television in those days wasn’t presented with the super HD clarity they take for granted now. Remember those “rabbit ears” antennas you had to juggle around to get a maybe halfway decent clear image? I remember as late as 1979 how sometimes the color would change over the screen so that people’s faces would take on the hue of barbecue chicken. But what could you do? You just sat and watched it, because that’s what there was. You viewed in between the anomalies the way you would listen in between the crackles and hiss of a vinyl record.

—————————–

stonehearted, I hear what you’re saying….I think about my father talking about having a party line when he was a little kid, and finding his story embarrassing and thinking The Olden Days sounded very lame. That attitude is even more the case now with many people in their 20s — it’s just not that interesting to younger peeps to hear about things like rabbit ears–at least doesn’t seem “interesting” in any positive sense.

I’d totally forgotten, by the way, the color suddenly shifting on your TV, and suddenly Uncle Arthur and Samatha’s faces would be green and slightly distorted or go lobster red – thanks for that memory! A subtext of my talk is that the values of various “counter cultures” of any era are ageless and timeless, and what was going on in 1960s San Francisco [and beyond] and its impact on popular culture into the ’70s is and was not just about silly headbands, bell bottoms, people flashing peace signs, and “Faaaar out, maaayaaah!” I may or may not use the clip if this version is the only one I can find.  I don’t mean to imply that it could or should look like a 21st Century commercial; but that uber-fuzzed out distortion telegraphs Old, and maybe a little sad.

—————————–

stonehearted wrote:

Only three networks as well before television stations signed off for the night at around 1 a.m.–then there would be that static of black and white fuzz. I used to call that fuzz “the fighting bugs”.

—————-

“Fighting bugs” – awesome!  Does analog static exist like that in the digital age? In New York there were 8 channels, which ended with the National Anthem in the wee hours of the morning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnchea6LHN0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l8wYx27tYk

followed by a test pattern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMoY5fAcd84

When I was 3 or 4 I’d get up early in the morning, get Lucky some dog biscuits, and watch the test pattern until a yoga show came on, with a nice Indian woman wearing a big old black leotard.

—————-

stonehearted wrote:

Anyway, I’m glad you started this thread. You’ve got people including myself remembering and posting their favorite old TV commercials, and this thread might very well develop into a one-stop archival source for such classic advertising of the past. Come to think of it, I remember a commercial for a Rolling Stones greatest hits album from the late seventies that I use to see on TV every day. In fact, it was my first regular exposure to the music of the Stones. I’ll have to dig that up….

This one? 🙂

Thanks again

– swiss

October 15, 2015 at 3:13 am #23848
    Swiss
    Participant

As much as think that wonderful and commercial rarely belong in the same sentence… Another possible source for these is from the actors and actors agents if the commercial included actors. I’ve got a couple friends who have done commercials and they both kept copies of all their spots to show their friends and family and to use for shopping other jobs….I know it’s a long shot. What’s kind of scary is some of the subliminal messaging and other psychological tricks that were used on us in those commercials. I remember reading an article from an ad exec where he came clean about some of the tricks they used and thinking that as kids we didn’t stand a chance. LOL

Naturalust, do you remember that commercial? It might be before your time.

That’s super interesting thought…don’t know about the actors, but the man who did the stop-action animation is Larry Keenan — a guy who photographed Bay Area Beats and counterculture. I’ll contact his estate.

Don’t know about subliminal messaging in this Levi’s ad.  Probably not. But if so, they seem pretty benign.  But it’s late, and I need to find a 24-hour clothing store. MUST. BUY. LEVI’S.

October 15, 2015 at 3:27 am #23849
    Swiss
    Participant

I am currently majoring in Advertising, so I wish I had some sort of information to help but even my advertising teachers use the grainy YouTube vids when they’re showing us old ads haha! I’ll ask one of my teachers tomorrow and see if I can find any info for you.. Good luck.

hi shesarainbow – thank you so much for asking your prof! Wow, advertising – fascinating major! In high school and college we had classes that included critical thinking and deconstructing advertising to be on the lookout for the subliminal messaging and manipulation Naturalust refers to above. Are you learning about persuasive design, btw? That was a burgeoning trend in the profession I was in before switching tracks to archives a few years ago.  I admit, I’m probably somewhat hyper critical of advertising, as an industry, in how intertwined it has become with commerce, and how most people now lack the skills or competency to understand what subconscious levers are being pulled, etc.  However, in this era it would very likely be a lucrative major to have pursued, and potentially interesting. I worked in a creative agency in 2010.  Super fun and high-spirited. Different from other workplaces, in terms of the culture. It was a large space in an old warehouse, and all open concept seating, with everyone across roles and teams mixed together. One day I heard this guy playing the same piano bit over and over on his computer—and other sound effects. By 7pm I was getting ready to head home, and the guy had gathered some of his team members around. I went over, and watched a TV commercial he had just done the sound for, including composing that short piece, and all the sound effects I’d been aware of him playing with all day–it was astonishing, seeing the piece come together like that.

– swiss

October 15, 2015 at 3:54 am #23852
    stonehearted
    Participant

Yes, Swiss, that’s the one! Awesome that you found that on its own in a 2-minute clip. I’m aware of that commercial available as part of a 90-minute real-time sign-off from when a local TV station was being taken off the air in 1980. I was going to post that and say ‘It’s in here at 52:15 or so and runs for 2 minutes’. Which would have been a somewhat interesting TV time capsule, but ultimately tedious just for that Stones commercial. So thanks again! It’s like revisiting my earliest Stones memory.

October 15, 2015 at 5:02 pm #23993
    CindyC
    Participant

Cindy – just tried to find the backward Meow Mix commercial – sounds hilarious! WOEM, swiss

Hi Swiss – I found it for you!       It’s at 2:04 in this clip…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AWCk7HlG4o

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well

October 15, 2015 at 5:35 pm #23995
    Swiss
    Participant

Cindy — omg hilarious! especially for audio geeky people like us here — love it!

thanks for posting

swiss

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.