• May 21, 2017 at 12:06 am #67769
    Profile gravatar of tauktauk
    Participant

DAVID JOHANSEN FORMERLY OF THE NEW YORK DOLLS (THE PHASE 1 1970’S DOLLS & Phase 2 dolls 2004-2011) Other personas : Buster Poindexter ( a variety of musical styles), and also, “Harry Smiths” (folk), and periods of just David Johansen Group ¬†etc. etc Very versatile.

David Jo will be doing a show in San Francisco in 11 days, Wed May 31 in his Buster Poindexter persona in a small venue called “The Chapel” He’ll do another show in Petaluma approx 60 miles north of SF 2 days later, June 2, 2017.

I’ll probably only go to the SF show-too hard for me to get up north to Petaluma.

Just thought I’d post this in case there’s anyone who possibly lives close to SF or Petaluma, CA & likes David Johansen’s work.

Website for David Johansen is on Facebook “Buster Poindexter.” It has ticket info

https://www.facebook.com/pg/officialBusterPoindexter/posts/?ref=page_internal

Love the FB page. when I wrote to that FB page asking a question re. upcoming events his beautiful wife wrote back to me real soon. On the private messenger system of FB.

Marianta- I know you love him as much as I do. ūüėܬ†Re. My Imaginary Boyfriend who is usually Mick Jagger, Mick don’t care what I do. I’ll see Mick again. But David/Buster is irresistable. Wish I could share it with you..it’s so great to know you got to see David Jo when he was near your area in Norway. ¬†Hope you’re doing o.k. marianta

Screen-Shot-2017-05-14-at-2.50.35-AM

Screen-Shot-2017-05-14-at-2.53.14-AM

BELOW: 1973 David J on far Left. The NYD’s first trip to LA

NYD-GROUP-IN-LA-1973-IN-FRONT-OF-BUS-D-IN-WHITE-ASYMMETRICAL-HALTER-TOP-AQUA-SCARF

BELOW: 1985 Keith Richards & David Johansen (a.k.a. Buster Poindexter) Live at “Tramps” NYC. I wonder, is David Jo the only person to have ever gotten a kiss from Keith Richards onstage? He does here-right after he (David) runs his fingers through K’s hair.

BELOW: Sample of David/Buster’s between song witty patter, a joke & an impression followed by

¬†A FUN, SEXY BLUES “Boom Boom Boom Boom” at 2:30.OOOOOHHHHH YAAAAAAA as David exclaims!!~

BELOW: Heart of Gold, written by David Johansen (not the Neil Young song of same title).

"The Tauk Abides" (inspired from "The Big Lebowski" film-Jeff Bridges' last line)

'I need a..I need a bohemian atmosphere" ("Performance" Warner Brothers film)

May 21, 2017 at 1:22 am #67775
    Participant

Just because:

Below: David Johansen 2000’s

Below: Recent pic David/Buster with his wife, artist, Mara Hennessey

Screen-Shot-2017-05-14-at-2.58.44-AM

Below: NYD’s group photo 1973 from debut album photo session

NYD-1973-GROUP-COLOR-PIC-FROM-ALBUM-PHOTO-SHOOT-FOR-DEBUT-

Below: NYD’s in NYC 1973, David in all white & platform tennis shoes

NYD-ONSTAGE-PROBABLY-MERCER-ARTS-CENTER-1972-OR-73-D-IN-WHITE-UNBUTTONED-DRESS-SHIRT-WWHITE-PANTS-PLATFORM-SNEAKERS

Below: 2006 NYD’s 1st of 3 WONDERFUL ROCK albums made from 2006-2011 when the Dolls reformed in 2004 after 30 years. Front cover of “One Day It Will Please Us To Remember Even This.”

Screen-Shot-2016-08-30-at-4.04.38-AM

Below: David 2000’s magazine photo shoot:

D-VOGUE-MAGAZINE-FULL-LENGTH-PIC-IN-PIN-STRIPED-SUIT-FEATHER-BOA

Below: David, 2000’s

DJ-2000s-casual-sitting-down-in-grey-jeans-jean-jacket-sunglasses-hanging-from-t-shirt-neck

BELOW: A stunning, goosebump-raising, soulful¬†¬†2016 performance of Lou Reed/Velvet Underground’s “Oh! Sweet Nuttin”

"The Tauk Abides" (inspired from "The Big Lebowski" film-Jeff Bridges' last line)

June 12, 2017 at 1:40 pm #68221
    Profile gravatar of MarianitaMarianita
    Participant

he he nice Tauk, oh yes we l.u.v David Jo

Cyrinda Foxe and David Johansen:

david bowie david johansen | Ron Galella:

Don't you think it's sometimes wise not to grow up?

June 12, 2017 at 7:01 pm #68258
    Participant

New York Dolls 1972

June 13, 2017 at 1:54 pm #68292
    Participant

hey marianita-so glad to see you’re back here.

i did get to see david jo¬†(in his buster p persona) 2 weeks ago, wed may 31st at a very small venue in San Francisco. i videoed it (although i messed up the first 30 minutes by mistake). i don’t know how to get video from my cell phone into my computer or whatever is required to post it on youtube. ¬†i’ve been lazy since i got back but i will try to learn how to share the video.

i’ll¬†post the video¬†when i¬†get it¬†up on youtube.

i was up at front of stage by the end, so was within about 2 feet of david’s feet.

i spoke with his wife right after the show.

i still can’t believe it happened. what year was it that you saw david jo? i remember you posted a real good pic of the show. where was it held?

here’s a pic from last year, 2016, of david¬†as david¬†jo. doesn’t he¬†look¬†so good- he was born¬†jan¬†1950 so he was¬†66 in this¬†pic

Screen-Shot-2017-06-02-at-5.12.22-AM

June 13, 2017 at 3:53 pm #68303
    Participant

Thank you, and nice to see you too hanging around,Tauk. I hope you did have a really good time at the “Buster” show. Did he play any NYDoll’s songs ? David Jo seems to be such a nice gentleman. And yes i love the dolls. They’re first record is way up on my rock’nroll record list. David Jo also have some nice solo recordings. Johnny Thunders deserve a thread to himself ¬†(so do Arthur “killer” Kane). I saw the dolls in 2005 at Notodden Bluesfestival in Norway and what a show, memories for life.

June 13, 2017 at 4:01 pm #68305
    Participant

June 13, 2017 at 4:04 pm #68308
    Participant

June 13, 2017 at 4:07 pm #68309
    Participant

June 13, 2017 at 4:13 pm #68310
    Participant

June 13, 2017 at 6:30 pm #68319
    Participant

June 13, 2017 at 6:32 pm #68320
    Participant

Not to forget the old demo’s

June 13, 2017 at 6:36 pm #68321
    Participant

‚Äúzombiesenelghetto: New York Dolls, photo by Bob Gruen, L.A. 1973 via ‚ÄĚ:

June 13, 2017 at 7:35 pm #68324
    Participant
    buster shows are a little bit different than the early buster shows that he started with in the 80’s and 90’s. he use to basically stick with lounge/nightclub standards pre-rock or otherwise but now he says buster shows can include any kind of genre, anything he feels like doing.
    however, as buster he does not do new york dolls songs or songs from his david jo solo repertoire. at least he didn’t wed night & that’s how any buster YT video is that i see. he doesn’t ever mention the dolls or his work as david jo solo. he stays in the buster character.
    part of “buster’s” act is always funny jokes, funny patter with the audience between songs. this audience was pretty funny…they all obviously know his style of humor. it was funny to watch david/buster not crack up laughing too much when the audience said something funny. he stayed in the suave buster character.
    my fav songs were
    1) john lee hooker’s “boom, boom, boom, boom” ¬†OOOOOH YEAH!!!
    2) the 50’s rock ‘n roll song “Rocket 88” which is great (I didn’t mean to rhyme there)
    3) janis joplin’s “piece of my heart”, which interestingly, in the middle of doing,¬†he interspersed another song-that “sloopy” song.
    4) and “louisiana hannah” which was new to me but it was a rockin’ hoot. buster commented that it was “swamp rock”
    ¬†“louisiana hannah” is the main one i hope is of good enough video/audio quality for me to want to post it on youtube.
    i don’t think it’s ever been posted before; perhaps it was the first time he’s done that one.

he did his original penned “heart of gold” and “oh me oh my ( i’m a fool for you, baby”)

he did a song i was unfamiliar with called “desiree” (if i’m spelling that correctly”, a slower song.

he did sinatra’s “that’s life” and dean martin’s “volare” and a couple others i don’t know the names of–perhaps from older movies or broadway shows.

the band was smaller than lots of other buster shows have been-this was a small stage, small venue. there was no horn section. Brian Koonin, a long-time collaborator, was on guitar. i can’t recall the names of the other 3 guys- piano, drums, and one of those huge stand-up bass instruments.

he was very funny between songs with his trademark jokes and between-song patter. he told a good one re. a dream and horse race gambling, and as usual, jokes about not ever wanting to work hard. Also:¬†A boy says “mommy when I grow up I want to be a musician.” the mother says “you better make up your mind kid, because you can’t do both.” Well, it’s funny when david/buster says it.¬† Smiley

and of course, charmingly, he said we were the best audience ever (sure we know we know but nice to hear it anyway.) he said he really was having fun and it looked like he might have meant it.

i don’t think he really does a lot of live appearances anymore. at least not outside of the new york area.he does a sirius radio show broadcast at noon est every sunday. a brief interview he did with someone in the SF area just before his 2 shows==he said he was coming out to SF area anyway for a friend’s party and thought it would be fun to do a couple small shows. he basically never leaves the NYC area these days. so i was lucky to catch this one.

for about 3 days afterward i had to wear a bandaid on my knee from my foray up to the edge of the stage where i sat on my knees on hard floor to get close up video for the last 2 songs (encores). but it was worth it.

it was easy for me to approach his wife after the show. during the show¬†i had noticed her standing off to the left hand side of the stage-she was standing in the regular audience area-she wasn’t up at stage level behind the curtain. she was so friendly! ¬†it was, well, very nice. we talked a little about my having shot a lot of video. she said david prefers people to not post the jokes he tells between songs if they post a video on youtube or wherever because it would ruin the jokes for future audiences. i assured her i wouldn’t. so i’ll have to chop up the video possibly to leave the jokes out. she couldn’t have been nicer. for example: when I mentioned how nice it was of her to send me a private message reply

her name is mara hennessey, an artist (drop dead gorgeous of course but SO NOT CONCEITED).

they’ve been married since 2003. she’s in some DVD’s & youtubes singing with other background singers at some of David’s shows. she couldn’t have been nicer. for example: ¬†I mentioned how nice it was of her to send me a private message reply¬†thingey from the buster facebook¬†page when I had asked a question a couple of weeks earlier. she apologized¬†afor the fact that she has to write the messages for david because he’s too busy. i¬†laughed just a tad and said something like “oh no, that’s fine with me.” she asked me if I was going to go to the 2nd show 2 days later up in Petaluma, CA (about 60 miles north of SF). She looked genuinely disappointed when I said I couldn’t go due¬†to lack of hotel funds. ¬†Also, she apologized when at the end of our brief chat she said she had to go “because David was waiting for her.”

if any of my video is good quality in both audio and visual i will try to post a YT.i know zero technically about how to post any YT or any video. i’ll probably need to take several more days before i can post any youtube.

oh and did i mention he is still so easy on the eyes-very tall, very slim, great bunch of hair, face doesn’t look anywhere near his 67 years, hasn’t gained an ounce, that lucky so and so– just like some other lucky so-and-so’s we all know. Wink

June 13, 2017 at 8:04 pm #68329
    Participant

the NEW YORK DOLLS 1973 DEBUT SELF-TITLED ALBUM (Mercury Records, who completely ripped off the Dolls- screwed them out of 100% of all royalties & publishing rights to this debut album & their 2nd 1974 album & all subsequent compilation/misc releases).

From left to right: Arthur “Killer” Kane (d. 2004)- bass. Sylvian Sylvain (Mizrah) guitar, David Johansen, lead singer, Johnny Thunders (d. 1991), guitar, Jerry Nolan (d. 1992), drums.

NYD-GROUP-DEBUT-ALBUM-COVER-73-

D-FROM-DEBUT-ALBUM-COVER-ONLY-D-ON-SATINY-COUCH-copy

NYD-1973-GROUP-COLOR-PIC-FROM-ALBUM-PHOTO-SHOOT-FOR-DEBUT-

This debut album is chock full of original compositions, primarily by David Johansen. Some co-written ith Sylvain Sylvain,  one with Arthur Kane. Johnny Thunders also.
    Best debut album to fail commercially that I know of. Lots of critics now say the same.
    Seems a huge huge issue was how they dressed in their live performances and on the front cover of their debut album. Many labeled them as “transvestites”. Which was too radical back then. Now it almost seems quaint, doesn’t it? This caused a huge problem with disc jockeys in the US, other than the NYC area and LA/SF areas. The album just wasn’t played. Radio stations feared it would cause a problem with their sponsors. due to that infamous front album cover.
    so, therefore, of course, this immensely hurt album sales.
    Mercury records hardly invested a dime ever in the Dolls for marketing, time in the recording studio, nothing.
    In Creem magazine, was voted both the “Best” new group and the “Worst” new group in 1973.
     See attachment below this post.
    In imitation of the Stones’ print ad of ¬†“Would you let your sister go with a Rolling Stone? ” instead the Dolls’
    The Dolls’¬†said “Would you let your son room with a Doll?”.¬†
    See attachment blow this post. 
     the 2 singles released (but hardly played on radio stations)  from the debut album were:

1) “Trash” backed w/”Personality Crisis”

2) “Jet Boy”/”Vietnamese Baby”.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On “Subway Train”==¬† who but David Johansen, would think to include in the last verse of a rock contemporary urban teen angsty love lament, a segment of an old Traditional American Folksong of “Dinah Won’t You Blow Your Horn” ? I love it. (Wikipedia has a brief explanation of the euphemism contained in the line “someone’s in the kitchen with Dinah”.

His New York/Staten Island colloquialisms are interesting to learn==
    “Subway Train”
    “You had us pushing up posies just to get your fare”¬† re. his indifferent girlfriend.

And in “Personality Crisis”, dealing with a “schizo” girlfriend obsessed with her looks:
    “With all the crossing fingers Mother Nature sends”

“Jet Boy colloquialism==
    “We were all endangered charms”
    Swear were having fun”…

In the second album (1974 Too Much Too Soon”) in “Babylon David’s character checks out his looks ==
    Put my face up in the mirror “just to clock my where’s.”¬†

Also, quite unlike later punk, NYDs had a quite distinctive vocal sound incorporating 2 and 3 part harmonies and/or striking backing vocals. David was already drawing from his wide appreciation of other genres of music, including the girl groups of the early 60’s such as The Shangri-Las.

Oh well, enough “tauk’ already. The proof’s in the pudding so here:

New York Dolls (self-titled) DEBUT ALBUM 1973 for which Mercury Records hogs 100% of all royalties & publishing rights since jump street back in 1973.

FULL ALBUM  https://youtu.be/po-SOprZ7Nc

1) Personality Crisis-perhaps the song NYC audiences most associated with the Dolls. Not my favorite, but obviously was a lot of people’s favorite. I suppose this might have more of a “proto punk” sound that is always, it seems, a label given to the dolls.
    or video: https://youtu.be/WP5ngHRuoTI

2) Looking For a Kiss one of my favs because I like a song with a good rhythmic danceable beat. David also performs in a theatrical manner which adds to the emotionality of the message.¬†13 year old Morrissey in the UK saw this video (and “Jet Boy”) from the OGWT & it began his lifelong fanship of the Dolls. He described it as his “first emotional experience.” Morrissey became who got the Dolls back together again in 2004 after about 30 years of no dolls.
    or video: https://youtu.be/GvmvMFXWzc8

3) Vietnamese Baby-the guitars are raced up to sound like machine guns. Like what we heard every night in the early 70’s coming from the T.V. via Vietnam guerilla warfare as we’re eating supper.
    or audio from Youtube: https://youtu.be/HxYUOy8v53k

4) Lonely Planet Boy¬† the guitars are speeded up to sound like passing cars. David very effectively, imo, conveys the emotions of the loneliness of a homeless youth. I don’t believe I’ve ever heard anything quite like this. Lyrics were written by a 15 year old David in high school in his journal. On the demo, David refers to this as a “campy” song.

audio only from youtube: https://youtu.be/6wplJXrz-ak

5) Frankenstein (metaphor for NYC’s harrowing effect on the young adults who move there)
    or (audio only) from YouTube:https://youtu.be/jMO3JCrsDx4

6) Trash-David, speaking from the perspective of street people, i.e. silent thieves, prostitutes, transgenders, to a love interest. “Please don’t ask me if I love you, if you don’t know what I’m doing.”¬†=”Trash” has ambiguous gender characters with lush OOhhs and Ahaas backing vocals by Syl and Johnny and the repeated phrase of Syl’s wondrous “Traaayyyyyyyyyyyyishhhhhhhh”. Producer, Todd Rundgren, is given credit for preserving and sometimes enhancing the lush background vocals from the Dolls’ live performances.
    or video: https://youtu.be/x9d5csMFAfE

7) Bad Girl¬†A straight out rocker-David, in a plea against the forestalling of sex by the new girl on the block, uses the logic that they should get it on with no further ado because, after all, “one nuclear bomb they’re gonna blow it all away…got to get some lovin’ today”.

video: https://youtu.be/em9CROWv6vg¬† (“THIS ALSO HAS 1 SONG FROM THEIR 2ND ALBUM “STRANDED IN THE JUNGLE” (a novelty/cover song with unusual & humorous background sounds from syl & arthur & johnny)

8) Subway Train with the unique inclusion of an old American folk song near the end
    or audio from Youtube: https://youtu.be/z-K4FPGdXbE

9) Pills (a Bo Diddley cover-the album’s only cover song)
    or video: https://youtu.be/4YVgw7QO8uw

10) Private World-another character driven song with David acting out a different character in the last line.
    or audio from Youtube: https://youtu.be/5_H575GOT84

11) Jet Boy– a very fast riff with a unique take on the NYC environment for young people. I’ve never heard anything else quite like it. Good 3 part harmonies.
    or video: https://youtu.be/_Y8-CBXfzhE

A lot of my comments above are taken from biographies and music reviews.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    June 13, 2017 at 9:51 pm #68359
    Participant

david johansen with wife mara hennessey, an artist. the “johennessey’s” ūüôā married since 2003, one year before the Dolls reunited from 2004-2011.

mara often has her hair dyed blue, sometimes even blue-grayish.

mara stands about¬†5′ 3″ to¬†david’s¬†approx 6′ 3″.

she helps a lot with his career/business. helps with stage designs a bit i believe & their facebook¬†page. she’s on dvd’s¬†& youtube sometimes singing with other background singers at some of his shows.

they are also very involved in human rights organizations. it’s putting it mildly to say david doesn’t exactly like trump.

BP-WMARA-NON-PERFORMING-COLOR-MID-LENGTH-BOTH-SMILING-

david, mara & her daughter, Leah hennessey

Attachments:
    June 13, 2017 at 11:47 pm #68365
    Participant

Dear David “Doll”.

Would you please consider becoming my step-daddy too? Or perhaps be your step-sister¬†would be more age-appropriate I guess==WHATEVER WORKS ūüôā and then there’s this real nice, cute blonde gal from Norway….well, I’ll let her contact you herself if she wants to…I promise I’ll gladly share in your household’s¬†functioning. “We’re All In Love.” I totally get it. I’ll ask your wife, Mara, myself if you’d like. (Ya Ya I know, I don’t have a chance in hell. Oh well).

I Mean It,

Tauk¬†a.k.a. “So Las Veg-ious”

Marianita: I assume you have the Dolls’ 3 2000’s albums…I love all of them. and I love the backstage/off-stage stuff on the DVD’s that come with the 1st and the 3rd of those 3 albums. David is so hilarious!

From the New York¬†Dolls’ 1st of 3 stellar rock albums they put together when they got back together from 2004-2011.

This is from 2006 album “Someday It Will Please Us To Remember¬†Even This”

Song titled¬†“We’re All In Love”. Here’s a 2010¬†Live Version WITH LYRICS BLOW THE VIDEO

Lyrics ’cause I think they’re worth it¬† ūüôā¬† ūüôā¬† ūüôā

WE”RE ALL IN LOVE

We’re all in love! [Repeat: x4]</p>
    We all sleep in one great big bed
    People like to think we’re seekin’ a head
    Everything to them is just a functional fit
    Got a bad reputation, just won’t quit
    Defame with great suspicion, hostility
    Despisable, phenomenal, illusory
    Pretty fancy words for not really real
    Love ain’t pretty, it’s the way that we feel because</p>
    We’re all in love!
    We don’t care!
    We’re all in love!
    What could they do to us?
    We’re all in love!
    You can do whatcha wanna but
    We’re all in love!</p>
    <p class=”verse”>Jumpin’ round the stage like teenage girls
    Castin’ our swine before the pearls
    Don’t fuck with us, what people say
    They go to work, we go to play!
    Drunk on the joy, a-singin’ a song
    Lovin’ hard as the day is long
    Excommunicated, then canonized
    When love is strong, life intensifies because</p>
    We’re all in love! [Repeat: x4]</p>
    We love fightin’ like lovers do
    Love makin’ up in a hour or two
    A kiss on the lips, unseemly for a man
    Least we don’t go around holdin’ hands
    Most times we don’t, but don’t stop tryin’
    With the music we got to manifest the divine
    To beam it up with love and let it rock on down
    Til every creature hip to the ultimate ground because</p>
    We’re all in love!
    What do we care?
    We’re all in love!
    It’s our life!
    We’re all in love!
    You can do what ya wanna, but
    We’re all in love!
    We don’t care!</p>
    We’re all in love!
    (in love)
    We’re all in love!
    (in love)
    We’re all in love!
    (in love)
    We’re all in love!
    Love! Love! Love!

Screen-Shot-2017-06-02-at-5.11.12-AM-copy

June 14, 2017 at 5:38 am #68374
    Participant

Thank you for posting this,Tauk. Nice read. I guess we’re two lost doll’s souls (swimming in a fish bowl year after year) he he but what a band. The music, the outfit’s and what a history. Thunders and Kane is also very interesting read. I have some new york doll’s,Johansen and Thunders record’s, but the first nydolls record hit me hard when i first heard it.

June 14, 2017 at 5:49 am #68375
    Participant

June 14, 2017 at 6:08 am #68376
    Participant

marinaita- just like you said, it also hit me hard the first time I heard the debut album, EXACTLY. Just like it hit that english musician, Morrissey.

<i>From wikipedia: new york dolls (album)</i>

<i> New York Dolls</i> was released by Mercury on July 27, 1973, to widespread critical acclaim but sold poorly and polarized listeners. The band proved difficult to market outside their native New York and developed a reputation for rock-star excesses while touring the United States in support of the album. Despite its commercial failure, <i>New York Dolls</i> was an influential precursor to the 1970s punk rock movement and has since been named in various publications as one of the best debut records in rock music and one of the greatest albums of all time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Dolls_(album)

I’ve made a lot of Edits to my post that listed the full debut album tracks that perhaps you haven’t seen. I wanted to add some info & ¬†make my writing more concise & clear.

When I care about an album, band, artist, whoever, I’m a bit OCD about getting it all expressed right.

I can’t tell you how happy¬†I am to have someone, namely YOU, ¬†with whom to share this passion.

Stones rule, yes, in hard classic rock. that doesn’t mean no one else can be appreciated.

With the 2nd album in 1974 and then those 3 WONDERFUL ROCK albums in 2006, 2009, and 2011-there are so very many great songs on those-so much more music to share here!

Plus, David has done a lot of Live shows after the Dolls stopped again in 2011, shows in which he’s performed all¬†new songs, and lot of stripped down “unplugged” versions of Dolls old songs and some of his post-dolls songs. Those unplugged type versions are great.

Attachment pic below: New York Dolls Phase 2 with David Johansen & Sylvain Mizhrah being the only 2 living remaining original dolls.

Attachments:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.