• April 5, 2017 at 6:51 pm #65237
    stonehearted
    Participant

Just started in with a 5-CD compilation of Deep Purple called Hard Road: The Mark 1 Studio Recordings 1968-69.

The first track of CD 1 (Shades of Deep Purple), And The Address, sounds what Hawkwind later sounded like, that is, “space rock” — but Hawkwind were formed toward the end of 1969. And The Address is from 1968 — which means that Deep Purple, often identified as “heavy metal”, were really more at the forefront of space rock. Here the similarity between this Deep Purple track and what Hawkwind went on to become known for?

April 5, 2017 at 6:53 pm #65239
    stonehearted
    Participant

Here’s how you dance to the tune posted above, and some sartorial suggestions as well…

April 5, 2017 at 6:57 pm #65241
    stonehearted
    Participant

In this clip, Hugh Hefner gets a lesson on electric guitar before “The Deep Purple” play their first big hit, Hush (Note: First minute and a half is the same as the preceding post).

April 5, 2017 at 7:01 pm #65242
    Marianita
    Participant

Here’s how you dance to the tune posted above, and some sartorial suggestions as well…

<iframe id=”fitvid0″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/t0FE3BXCG3w?feature=oembed&wmode=transparent” width=”300″ height=”150″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”allowfullscreen” data-mce-fragment=”1″></iframe>

that’s the party i want to go to, beauty vibe

Don't you think it's sometimes wise not to grow up?

April 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm #65245
    Marianita
    Participant

Awesome clip’s SH, Hush is a goody song, is that Ian Gillan singing?, wow i couldnt recognize

April 5, 2017 at 7:22 pm #65246
    stonehearted
    Participant

No, ‘Nita, actually that’s original singer Rod Evans. Right now I’m listening to this ethereal DP cover of the Beatles’ Help…

April 5, 2017 at 7:30 pm #65247
    stonehearted
    Participant

Rod Evans was the original lead singer of Deep Purple.

Related image

Evans recorded 3 albums with Deep Purple in 1968 and 1969.

Image result for rod evans deep purple

Evans was replaced by Ian Gillan in 1969.

Image result for ian gillan deep purple

April 5, 2017 at 7:32 pm #65248
    Marianita
    Participant

Nice psycedelic heavy help version, and thank’s again, thought Gillan was theyre original singer, but i do recognize the organ Jon Lord guy he he awesome dude, i have some purple dvd’s and records, but i never got to see this band, In Norway we like to play some Purple songs when we party, i’m like child in time and of course lot’s of others 🙂 and wow he can play the guitar

April 5, 2017 at 7:35 pm #65249
    Marianita
    Participant

i have a dvd from California 74 i think and by then David Coverdale was singing, but i always liked Gillan the best, but i am surprised by this Rod Evans, gonna check out those records tomorrow, thank you Stonehearted 🙂

April 5, 2017 at 7:53 pm #65260
    stonehearted
    Participant

Yeah, ‘Nita, when Rod Evans was fronting the band they were more psychedelic, more pop, and even folk — lots of Beatles covers and even Neil Diamond, like the one below.

But I think Ritchie Blackmore liked the direction that Ian Gillan’s vocal sound took them in — because you note they seemed more hard rock/heavy metal after that, never venturing back to the adventurous space-like pop they did before. How about when in 1976 Blackmore formed Rainbow? It was like a clone of the Gillan-era Deep Purple, with Man On The Silver Mountain.

But I like this “Mark 1” Deep Purple a lot — you can really zone out, really get into your mind with these jams.

April 5, 2017 at 8:03 pm #65261
    Marianita
    Participant

Nice, you can hear it is Deep Purple but at the same time not so deep purple either if you know what i mean, and he had a lovely voice Evans. Very 60’s sound, awesome, i think it is the Jon Lord organ that tells me it is Deep Purple playing. I have seen that record cover before but never heard or listened to it, for sure gonna give it a spin 🙂

April 5, 2017 at 8:44 pm #65268
    stonehearted
    Participant

Yeah, ‘Nita, I know what you mean about Jon Lord being a big part of their signature sound, like in their version of Hey Joe. That organ sound, and the way it’s played, kind of reminds me of Vanilla Fudge (You Keep Me Hanging On).

April 6, 2017 at 4:27 pm #65336
    andrew t
    Participant

Rod Evans went on to front the heavy ass Southern rock/psych band Captain Beyond, whose self titled first album is something of a lost classic

April 6, 2017 at 4:29 pm #65338
    andrew t
    Participant

And here’s the original version of Hush.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.