OT: David Bowie, New Album, Jazz or "Trumpet Shit" – David's FINAL Album

• October 24, 2015 at 2:17 pm #24980
    Cocaine Eyes
    Participant

Bowie will release his new album “Blackstar” on his birthday……..8th January, 2016. It’s a jazz album which was recorded in NYC. (trumpet shit??)

October 24, 2015 at 5:25 pm #25007
    StrongBeach
    Participant

I’m sure this will be the very soul of pretentiousness … and that I will love it.

“Sue (Or in a Season of Crime)” probably offers a bit of a hint at what is to come.

From the Times of London:

“an album of long, jazzy jams mixed with the kind of driving beat pioneered by Seventies German bands Can and Kraftwerk.”

Lovely!

(BTW, what does the “trumpet shit” reference mean? I’ve seen that crop up in a few places here.)

October 24, 2015 at 5:52 pm #25011
    Breath
    Participant

it’s all cindy’s fault. she hates trumpets. but she loves French horns…

October 24, 2015 at 6:07 pm #25013
    StrongBeach
    Participant

it’s all cindy’s fault. she hates trumpets. but she loves French horns…

does she make exceptions? or are miles and dizzy trumpet shit as well?

for cindy: two lovely horn cto’s performed by the greatest hornist of all time, dennis brain:

October 24, 2015 at 6:12 pm #25015
    Breath
    Participant

miles and dizzy are particularly offensive to her.  go figure.  I haven’t specifically enquired about Wynton yet…I am kind of afraid to talk to her anymore about trumpets – she gets really emotional and unstable and it’s frightening

October 24, 2015 at 6:25 pm #25019
    StrongBeach
    Participant

As we are in danger of violating one of David Mamet’s cardinal rules of drama (see below), I will stand down for the moment and allow CindyC to weigh in on these matters herself:

“HERE ARE THE DANGER SIGNALS. ANY TIME TWO CHARACTERS ARE TALKING ABOUT A THIRD, THE SCENE IS A CROCK OF SHIT.”

October 24, 2015 at 6:35 pm #25020
    Breath
    Participant

As we are in danger of violating one of David Mamet’s cardinal rules of drama (see below), I will stand down for the moment and allow CindyC to weigh in on these matters herself: “HERE ARE THE DANGER SIGNALS. ANY TIME TWO CHARACTERS ARE TALKING ABOUT A THIRD, THE SCENE IS A CROCK OF SHIT.”

quite possibly. we need to enlist a third character soon…

October 24, 2015 at 7:42 pm #25029
    Cocaine Eyes
    Participant

To be fair to CindyC, it’s my fault and angee’s fault that the term “trumpet shit” is all over the place lately.

~CE

October 24, 2015 at 8:03 pm #25030
    Breath
    Participant

ok, but it’s more fun to blame cindy. but appreciate the accountability.

October 24, 2015 at 8:24 pm #25035
    CindyC
    Participant

HA – Trumpet shit – LOL.      That reminds me when I took my sister to the Musee D’Orsay.    We started at a low floor where there are lots of dark paintings about the French Revolution and such.    After about a half hour, my sister said “I’m sick of this old shit, let’s go see the impressionists”.       Evidently, crassness runs in my family.

I will say that I liked the Strauss trumpet sample that Longbeach so nicely provided.    That was actually quite beautiful.       I can’t comment on Dizzy or that other guy, but based on what I heard the other night on the podcast, I think it might just be jazz trumpet that I am not a fan of.   It’s just an overly brassy sound to my uneducated ears, and combined with all those cymbals and the forceful piano playing, it’s just a lot of noise to me.

I do have that misophonia thing, so noises that offend me do tend to produce an anger type response.  That’s why i had to shut that shit off.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well

October 24, 2015 at 8:24 pm #25036
    CindyC
    Participant

To be fair to CindyC, it’s my fault and angee’s fault that the term “trumpet shit” is all over the place lately. ~CE

Feel free to run with it!    It gives me a laugh.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well

November 13, 2015 at 5:21 pm #28140
    StrongBeach
    Participant

Only 6 more days till ★ (pronounced “Blackstar”):

http://pitchfork.com/news/62095-david-bowie-shares-blackstar-short-film-trailer/

November 13, 2015 at 5:44 pm #28143
    Erik_Snow
    Participant

I’m sure this will be the very soul of pretentiousness … and that I will love it. “Sue (Or in a Season of Crime)” probably offers a bit of a hint at what is to come. 

I did like The Next Day, allthough I think it would benefit from being reduced to half the lenght…..there’s too many fillers there, or should one rather say songs that weren’t worthy of finishing. But the good songs are good and worth repeated listens

But the song “Sue” – which is on that new “Nothing has Changed” 3CD compilation…..darn, I couldn’t listen to that song more than once, it’s not just a “filler”…. it’s a kind of atonal music that my ears can not accept. I always start CD1 of that compilation with track number 2. Then again…..I didn’t care for his new material in the Outside/Earthling days, in the mid 90s – but a little later; I really started loving it. Can’t imagine me caring for Sue in the future though, but you never know

November 13, 2015 at 6:00 pm #28151
    StrongBeach
    Participant

I’m sure this will be the very soul of pretentiousness … and that I will love it. “Sue (Or in a Season of Crime)” probably offers a bit of a hint at what is to come.

I did like The Next Day, allthough I think it would benefit from being reduced to half the lenght…..there’s too many fillers there, or should one rather say songs that weren’t worthy of finishing. But the good songs are good and worth repeated listens But the song “Sue” – which is on that new “Nothing has Changed” 3CD compilation…..darn, I couldn’t listen to that song more than once, it’s not just a “filler”…. it’s a kind of atonal music that my ears can not accept. I always start CD1 of that compilation with track number 2. Then again…..I didn’t care for his new material in the Outside/Earthling days, in the mid 90s – but a little later; I really started loving it. Can’t imagine me caring for Sue in the future though, but you never know

“Sue” is definitely a tough sell, Erik. I loved almost all of The Next Day when I first heard it, but it failed to build for me upon repeated listens. I still think about half of it is very good … but I don’t have time anymore for very good Bowie. He’ll never write a “Moonage Daydream,” a “We Are the Dead,” or a “Station to Station” again … but, maybe, just maybe, he’ll do something totally different, totally outre that will resonate with me. I have that kind of faith in him as an artist. He may fail miserably with ★ … but at least he’ll have tried to once again push the envelope and re-imagine what pop music can be.

I hope it’s WAY out there and it pisses lots of people off. The last thing we need is another classic rocker who has not realized that his formula is stale and that he will never recapture the magic of his salad days.

November 13, 2015 at 6:10 pm #28158
    Erik_Snow
    Participant

“Sue” is definitely a tough sell, Erik. I loved almost all of The Next Day when I first heard it, but it failed to build for me upon repeated listens. I still think about half of it is very good … but I don’t have time anymore for very good Bowie. He’ll never write a “Moonage Daydream,” a “We Are the Dead,” or a “Station to Station” again … but, maybe, just maybe, he’ll do something totally different, totally outre that will resonate with me. I have that kind of faith in him as an artist. He may fail miserably with ★ … but at least he’ll have tried to once again push the envelope and re-imagine what pop music can be. I hope it’s WAY out there and it pisses lots of people off. The last thing we need is another classic rocker who has not realized that his formula is stale and that he will never recapture the magic of his salad days.

Very well put! And meanwhile I didn’t “like” Sue – I liked the fact that he wasn’t trying to play it safe with that single, unlike some other bands and artists that just try to copy their previous selves. I look forward to his new album…..because one never know how it’ll turn out. Unlike Keith’s “Trouble” for instance which I allready knew would be like just by seeing the photo on the frontcover…..not saying that it’s a terrible album, but it’s not exciting – and probably won’t get more than 2 spins here.

Since this is a Rolling Stones board, I’m not feeling guilty for involving Keith into the Bowie thread though I won’t take it further

November 13, 2015 at 6:17 pm #28160
    StrongBeach
    Participant

“Sue” is definitely a tough sell, Erik. I loved almost all of The Next Day when I first heard it, but it failed to build for me upon repeated listens. I still think about half of it is very good … but I don’t have time anymore for very good Bowie. He’ll never write a “Moonage Daydream,” a “We Are the Dead,” or a “Station to Station” again … but, maybe, just maybe, he’ll do something totally different, totally outre that will resonate with me. I have that kind of faith in him as an artist. He may fail miserably with ★ … but at least he’ll have tried to once again push the envelope and re-imagine what pop music can be. I hope it’s WAY out there and it pisses lots of people off. The last thing we need is another classic rocker who has not realized that his formula is stale and that he will never recapture the magic of his salad days.

Very well put! And meanwhile I didn’t “like” Sue – I liked the fact that he wasn’t trying to play it safe with that single, unlike some other bands and artists that just try to copy their previous selves. I look forward to his new album…..because one never know how it’ll turn out. Unlike Keith’s “Trouble” for instance which I allready knew would be like just by seeing the photo on the frontcover…..not saying that it’s a terrible album, but it’s not exciting – and probably won’t get more than 2 spins here. Since this is a Rolling Stones board, I’m not feeling guilty for involving Keith into the Bowie thread though I won’t take it further

I feel the same way about Crosseyed Heart … but I think different people listen to music for different reasons. I would imagine that Keith’s record is probably the equivalent of “comfort food” for many of his fans, and that’s fine, more power to them. I prefer artists who take more chances, who walk that tightrope, who may soar or plummet to earth.

November 13, 2015 at 6:34 pm #28166
    Breath
    Participant

I listen to music for one reason and one reason only:  they told me had to.

November 19, 2015 at 5:32 pm #28866
    StrongBeach
    Participant

Bowie today released a film for the full ten-minute version of his “Blackstar” track:

The upcoming album, which is called ★ , is out on 8 Jan 16.

I’ve only listened to this a couple of times; will refrain from commenting for a bit. There’s thorny gorgeousness here to unpack.

November 19, 2015 at 6:14 pm #28873
    stonehearted
    Participant

Wow! Just looking at that screen capture in the post above. In his old age, Bowie is beginning to resemble more and more the elder version of Ronald Reagan–a thinner, whiter, dukier version to be sure, but nonetheless strikingly Reaganesque, particularly around the lower half of his face.

November 19, 2015 at 6:27 pm #28875
    StrongBeach
    Participant

Wow! Just looking at that screen capture in the post above. In his old age, Bowie is beginning to resemble more and more the elder version of Ronald Reagan–a thinner, whiter, dukier version to be sure, but nonetheless strikingly Reaganesque, particularly around the lower half of his face.

I hate you for pointing that out to me; pls provide instructions for removing that unfortunately accurate image from my brain. A man can only live with so much truth.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags

Recently Active Members

Profile picture of Marianita
Profile picture of Cocaine Eyes
Profile picture of DandelionPowderman
Profile picture of jasona93
Profile picture of Socrates
Profile picture of stonehearted
Profile picture of angee
Profile picture of OldSoul
Profile picture of keefriffhards
Profile picture of treaclefingers
Profile picture of goo
Profile picture of devdev
Profile picture of StrongBeach
Profile picture of D
Profile picture of Doxa
Profile picture of Z
Profile picture of Nikkei
Profile picture of tauk
Profile picture of Ale Lacasa
Profile picture of Stoneburst
Profile picture of Upgreydd
Profile picture of andrew t
Profile picture of Roll Me
Profile picture of SelenePhoenix
Profile picture of ReginaPhalange
Profile picture of illusion
Profile picture of Ebling
Profile picture of MidnightPeanut
Profile picture of Redhotcarpetred
Profile picture of bluzdude
Profile picture of VT22
Profile picture of detroitken
Profile picture of hwkn
Profile picture of mgarciaisaia
Profile picture of two4fun111
Profile picture of Chris

Mission Statement

This forum is dedicated to an open discussion of all things Rolling Stones.  From new fans to hardcore veterans, everyone is welcome.  Forum is moderated lightly.  The golden rule is in effect. Let the discussions run rampant, as long as personal insults stay at the door!