Keith with Waddy the perfect combination ?

• May 14, 2016 at 5:49 pm #47317
    keefriffhards
    Participant

In the clip below i was surprised how well Waddy compliments Keith in a way that Ronnie never has. Maybe its because Ronnie plays too laid back and timid with Keith, or maybe Ronnie’s just not as good as Waddy as a guitarist. Is Ronnie told not to shine to much as Keith don’t like it ?,  i have always wondered why Ronnie plays better with other guitarists on occasions like with the Faces or his solo performances.  Admittedly a lot of Ronnie’s career has been lost to drink and drugs but what excuse does he have for playing so weak in recent live performances when playing songs like GS.  I think he gets intimidated by Keith.   At the beginning and last two minutes of this clip, its obvious Waddy would have made a better replacement after Mick Taylor left.  Waddy just blows me away at the end of this youtube clip, Your thoughts EOMS

May 14, 2016 at 6:12 pm #47319
    keefriffhards
    Participant

Also do you see how easy the Wino’s make it for Keith to shine, he’s got so much talent around him he can’t help but feel confident and inspired, I’m still hoping for a few farewell Wino’s shows now the Stones are done.  Sorry guys i cant help it, more Wino’s for the keithetts, i believe we have one or two here !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXd3RtyFQcU

May 14, 2016 at 6:29 pm #47357
    Breath
    Participant

can we have something that doesn’t pre-date the internet as an example? thanks!

May 14, 2016 at 6:31 pm #47358
    stonehearted
    Participant

Wait a minute — when did the Stones announce their retirement? They’re booked for that Coachella festival this year.

Anyway, not sure Waddy would have been a good fit in the Stones — his computer downloading activities would have been a bigger stain on the Stones’ image than Bill Wyman and Mandy Smith. And speaking of image, well, Ron Wood just fits in better. As a personality, he’s more of a diplomat, a buffer if you will, between Mick and Keith, and that has been important over the years. Besides, Ron Wood has always wanted to be in the Stones, right from day one. He was in the area when the band were in their Ealing Club days and has said that he told himself around then, ‘Some day, I’ll be in that band.’ In fact, Ron Wood got the call in 1969 before Mick Taylor. Ian Stewart was a big Faces fan, and when they were rehearsing in the Stones’ studio, Stu suggested to Mick that he call Ron Wood. Except that the call was fielded by Ronnie Lane, who told Mick that Woodie was unavailable. Wood didn’t even find out about that call for at least 5 years. Has Waddy ever expressed a desire to be in the Stones? He doesn’t seem to have auditioned in the mid-seventies when the role became available. Wood was a friend of the band and he was in the right place at the right time.

There’s more to being in a band than being technically accomplished — it’s personas gelling, and Wood is the perfect man for the job, which is why he’s survived in the role for more than 4 decades. Have his musical abilities suffered as a result of being in the supporting role to Keith & Co.? Perhaps. The Faces was his baby, guitar-wise, and so he could shine in that role. You could also say the same for John Entwistle, that he wasted his best years playing in The Who — you can say that, because, well, he actually said it himself.

I don’t think it’s really fair to judge Ron Wood’s guitar playing on the South America tour based on those murky Periscope feeds. I recently acquired a 2-CD package of the Havana show, and Wood is rather solid. In fact, as you’ll hear from the Havana bootleg review I did once Drake posts the concert, it’s Keith who is a bit shaky, stiff and slow even, during the first part of the show — and the younger fans in the audience notice it.

But to answer the question that the thread title asks — sure, perfect in the context of Keith’s activities outside the Stones.

May 14, 2016 at 6:32 pm #47359
    StrongBeach
    Participant

Waddy’s really holdin “Gimme Shelter” together, that’s for sure. He’s the only guitarist on stage on that number, correct? (Sorry, young riffhards, but you posted the vid.)

Ok, last joke: it’s a damn good thing Keith doesn’t get paid by the note these days.

I like Waddy a lot, mainly from his Linda Ronstadt/Warren Zevon days. Not sure what sort of a Stone he would have made but it’s hard to imagine him fitting in with the stadium-level party band atmo that the band have cultivated over the past 40 years.

One of my favorite Waddy performances, from Bryan Ferry’s wonderful The Bride Stripped Bare album from 1978 is a song called “Can’t Let Go:”

May 14, 2016 at 6:33 pm #47360
    Breath
    Participant

the wino’s aren’t even a band…I think the statute of limitations is in play here…once you been gone a quarter-century…you don’t exist no mo’

May 14, 2016 at 6:46 pm #47361
    StrongBeach
    Participant

Have his musical abilities suffered as a result of being in the supporting role to Keith & Co.? Perhaps. The Faces was his baby, guitar-wise, and so he could shine in that role.

Yeah, he was awfully good on those records, and even better in my opinion on those first few Rod Stewart solo albums, through Every Picture Tells a Story. Great guitar sound, super distinctive. Wonderful work on both acoustic and electric.

May 14, 2016 at 7:26 pm #47362
    keefriffhards
    Participant

I have watched the Stones live a thousand times and fail to see the importance of Ronnie, i’m missing something you guys see, its all water under the bridge now but this place takes you back in time and i have began to really appreciate the Taylor years as something incredibly special, its funny because something that good never lasts, it must be that when musicians are riding that wave of a lifetime they are always going to fall off, perhaps their ego’s get to big or the drugs get to heavy, but something within them rebels against perfection, like its to much to just except it.  Maybe they make the mistake of trying to witness the moment rather than stay in the moment or over analyse what makes it all tick. Some of you guys never forgave the Stones for Taylor leaving, personally i cant forgive Taylor for being so stupid as to leave.  I was happy with Ronnie even through his crap drunk decades of mediocrity, but just recently i feel less forgiving of him, he seems incapable of covering up Keith’s limitations, and if the SA tour was anything to go by , Ronnie put Keith off his stride so many times it was cringy to watch. Its also hard to be Happy with Ronnie as a Stone when i think what might  have been.

Breath the clip of Keith with the Winos at the top of the page was recent and i thought Waddy got the best out of a rusty Keith before the SA tour.

Stonehearted i don’t think the Stones will play again, just a hunch, i don’t see it.

Longbeach,   Cant Let Go is awesome

May 14, 2016 at 8:02 pm #47364
    Breath
    Participant

I have watched the stones 20 billion times, so there. Beat that!

keith is old and in the way. And immoral too.

May 14, 2016 at 8:07 pm #47365
    keefriffhards
    Participant

Sorry no Keith no Mick no Stones. Ronnie’s are ten a penny , or ten a cent if you like

May 14, 2016 at 8:09 pm #47366
    keefriffhards
    Participant

Where is Errol when i need him, he thinks you’re all Ronnie police

May 14, 2016 at 8:23 pm #47367
    Breath
    Participant

To Errol is human but he wasn’t

May 15, 2016 at 4:42 am #47368
    keefriffhards
    Participant

That’s the most intelligent articulate thing you have ever said on here, its almost worth coming back for, the way you divert a conversation in so few words is commendable. Ronnie’s still shit.

May 15, 2016 at 8:45 am #47369
    munichhilton
    Participant

Hang on…Ronnie is in The Police now? This is fantastic if true!

May 15, 2016 at 9:30 am #47370
    Breath
    Participant

That’s the most intelligent articulate thing you have ever said on here, its almost worth coming back for, the way you divert a conversation in so few words is commendable.

why thank you!  that may be the kindest thing anyone has ever said to me. you know with my super low IQ it’s very hard to follow the intelligent discourse that goes on here. sometimes I have re-read passages dozens of times and still I often don’t understand. but with your kindness and God willing, I will continue to try and get more smarter.  bless you!

May 15, 2016 at 9:39 am #47371
    treaclefingers
    Participant

the wino’s aren’t even a band…I think the statute of limitations is in play here…once you been gone a quarter-century…you don’t exist no mo’

i thought that made you eligible for induction into the Rock’n’Roll Hall of Fame.

May 15, 2016 at 9:41 am #47372
    Breath
    Participant

i thought that made you eligible for induction into the Rock’n’Roll Hall of Fame.

induction by subtraction?

May 15, 2016 at 9:43 am #47373
    treaclefingers
    Participant

Anyway, not sure Waddy would have been a good fit in the Stones — his computer downloading activities would have been a bigger stain on the Stones’ image than Bill Wyman and Mandy Smith.

you’ve got to be kidding…how childish.

May 15, 2016 at 9:49 am #47374
    treaclefingers
    Participant

induction by subtraction?

now you’re on to something…i think we should be deducting existing Hall members for infractions against Rock and Roll.

Every year 5 previous inductees are nominated for removal if they don’t maintain a Rock and Roll attitude, lifestyle, or release a new R’n’R album (duet, live and Christmas albums don’t count) at least every 3 years.

I count this as progress.

May 15, 2016 at 9:49 am #47375
    Breath
    Participant

Anyway, not sure Waddy would have been a good fit in the Stones — his computer downloading activities would have been a bigger stain on the Stones’ image than Bill Wyman and Mandy Smith.

you’ve got to be kidding…how childish.

I blame his parents for naming him Waddy. I don’t know a single person with that name who isn’t a pervert. Names matter!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags

Recently Active Members

Profile picture of Marianita
Profile picture of Cocaine Eyes
Profile picture of DandelionPowderman
Profile picture of jasona93
Profile picture of Socrates
Profile picture of stonehearted
Profile picture of angee
Profile picture of OldSoul
Profile picture of keefriffhards
Profile picture of treaclefingers
Profile picture of goo
Profile picture of devdev
Profile picture of StrongBeach
Profile picture of D
Profile picture of Doxa
Profile picture of Z
Profile picture of Nikkei
Profile picture of tauk
Profile picture of Ale Lacasa
Profile picture of Stoneburst
Profile picture of Upgreydd
Profile picture of andrew t
Profile picture of Roll Me
Profile picture of SelenePhoenix
Profile picture of ReginaPhalange
Profile picture of illusion
Profile picture of Ebling
Profile picture of MidnightPeanut
Profile picture of Redhotcarpetred
Profile picture of bluzdude
Profile picture of VT22
Profile picture of detroitken
Profile picture of hwkn
Profile picture of mgarciaisaia
Profile picture of two4fun111
Profile picture of Chris

Mission Statement

This forum is dedicated to an open discussion of all things Rolling Stones.  From new fans to hardcore veterans, everyone is welcome.  Forum is moderated lightly.  The golden rule is in effect. Let the discussions run rampant, as long as personal insults stay at the door!