• May 15, 2016 at 10:17 am #47381
    trumplefingers
    Participant

May 15, 2016 at 3:39 pm #47383
    stonehearted
    Participant

I’d say there are several, and that Sunday Morning is one of the lesser Velvet Underground songs — which is a compliment, because there were many great songs over those four albums as well as numerous outtakes that filled up two more albums for release decades later.

Actually, I’ve always thought Sunday Morning so pop-oriented and “sunny” that it could have been a contender for space on either of the first couple of Monkees albums, sort of similar in mood and arrangement to the song Carole King wrote for The Monkees, Sometime In The Morning.

May 15, 2016 at 4:48 pm #47384
    LongBeachArena72
    Participant

I’d say there are several, and that Sunday Morning is one of the lesser Velvet Underground songs — which is a compliment, because there were many great songs over those four albums as well as numerous outtakes that filled up two more albums for release decades later. Actually, I’ve always thought Sunday Morning so pop-oriented and “sunny” that it could have been a contender for space on either of the first couple of Monkees albums, sort of similar in mood and arrangement to the song Carole King wrote for The Monkees, Sometime In The Morning.

<iframe id=”fitvid0″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/Afuj9acl9Os?feature=oembed&wmode=transparent” width=”300″ height=”150″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”allowfullscreen”></iframe>

Ahh, the Monkees version of “Sometime in the Morning” was SUCH a great record! I’m not sure I ever knew it was a Goffin/King song so thanks for that info, SH.

Another mellowish Sunday morning song, this one written by one K. Kristofferson:

May 15, 2016 at 4:56 pm #47385
    LongBeachArena72
    Participant

I’d nominate “Train Round the Bend” from Loaded as the best VU song in the Stones canon:

May 17, 2016 at 12:41 pm #47500
    Marianita
    Participant

Don't you think it's sometimes wise not to grow up?

May 17, 2016 at 12:43 pm #47502
    Marianita
    Participant

May 17, 2016 at 12:56 pm #47509
    LongBeachArena72
    Participant
    <iframe id=”fitvid0″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/AwzaifhSw2c?feature=oembed&wmode=transparent” width=”300″ height=”150″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”allowfullscreen”></iframe>

My favorite VU song. Ridiculous that it was conceived and recorded in 65/66; talk about being ahead of your time!

May 17, 2016 at 4:09 pm #47522
    trumplefingers
    Participant
    <iframe id=”fitvid0″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/AwzaifhSw2c?feature=oembed&wmode=transparent” width=”300″ height=”150″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”allowfullscreen”></iframe>

My favorite VU song. Ridiculous that it was conceived and recorded in 65/66; talk about being ahead of your time!

indeed ahead of it’s time.

I know it’s pretty ‘pop’ as well, but always loved Sweet Jane.

May 17, 2016 at 4:20 pm #47523
    stonehearted
    Participant

This is also a very pretty VU song, and I love John Cale’s backing vocals, lending the tune an additional melodic dimension.

May 17, 2016 at 4:38 pm #47524
    LongBeachArena72
    Participant

indeed ahead of it’s time. I know it’s pretty ‘pop’ as well, but always loved Sweet Jane.

One of rock’s great riffs.

May 17, 2016 at 4:43 pm #47525
    LongBeachArena72
    Participant

This is also a very pretty VU song, and I love John Cale’s backing vocals, lending the tune an additional melodic dimension.

<iframe id=”fitvid0″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/whn3K9Ll5aE?feature=oembed&wmode=transparent” width=”300″ height=”150″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”allowfullscreen”></iframe>

So this song basically became “Caroline Says (II)” on the Berlin album?

May 17, 2016 at 5:37 pm #47532
    stonehearted
    Participant

So this song basically became “Caroline Says (II)” on the Berlin album?

Well, what do you know? I guess so! I must admit I’ve never listened to the Berlin album all the way through. It might have made sense for Reed to have recycled this tune at the time, because Stephanie Says (recorded in 1968) was not officially released until 1985 for the collection VU. I think the most impressive thing about this/these songs is that Reed managed to find a rhyme for Alaska — not the easiest thing to achieve in a standard pop song approach, if you ask me.

May 18, 2016 at 4:42 am #47544
    Marianita
    Participant

indeed ahead of it’s time. I know it’s pretty ‘pop’ as well, but always loved Sweet Jane.

me too, and i like the guitar intro on rocknroll animal. Great when the song kicks in at 3:20

May 18, 2016 at 4:52 am #47545
    Marianita
    Participant

May 18, 2016 at 11:55 am #47568
    Marianita
    Participant

What is it? a pernod? give me it immediatly 🙂 Love this one, its the beginning of a new age

May 19, 2016 at 10:54 am #47683
    trumplefingers
    Participant

One of rock’s great riffs.

going to B minor before starting the riff over I think is it’s cache.

May 19, 2016 at 2:27 pm #47712
    job
    Participant

Yeah…like 100 of them.  Also there are like 20 better VU tunes.

May 19, 2016 at 3:00 pm #47733
    Marianita
    Participant

100 better stones songs than “sunday morning”? . Can you name them?

May 19, 2016 at 3:11 pm #47735
    Breath
    Participant
    1. 100 better stones songs than “sunday morning”? . Can you name them?

In alphabetic order too, please

May 19, 2016 at 3:16 pm #47736
    Marianita
    Participant
    1. 100 better stones songs than “sunday morning”? . Can you name them?

In alphabetic order too, please

he he

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.