• October 15, 2015 at 7:42 pm #24021
    D
    Keymaster

Ok so this might be a shocker but personally I have actually grown to appreciate Chuck’s contributions to the Rolling Stones.  Initially my gripes were as others described the “plinky plink” of the piano, but honestly I think I feel like I have come around to the other side of the fence on this.  Chuck plays great piano.  Chuck plays great keys.  If he had a grand piano on stage I think many of us might have a different opinion, but think of the headaches of traveling with a grand piano and having it retuned every day.  I am currently in my office,  which is a continual work in progress, but has my Yamaha HS80 monitors with paired sub fully setup.  The mix for itunes/web/other is terrible, but the film mix is excellent.  Every day I put on a Stones film and get to have it running in the background while I get work accomplished.  Today I enjoyed Sweet Summer Sun which I had initially dismissed due to the sound mix.  My opinion has since changed completely.  Sweet Summer Sun (Hyde Park) is a great show.  Chuck plays beautifully and does a phenomenal job as required by each song.  He plays it up when needed..  Other times such as You Got The Silver he plays exactly what is needed and does not overplay.

I love Ian Stewart’s playing and my post does not mean to minimize his style/contributions etc.  Chuck is not infallible either.  His keys tone on 2,000 Light Years From Home at Glastonbury could’ve used a little more work…  That being said, here’s to Chuck.

October 15, 2015 at 7:56 pm #24025
    Breath
    Participant

chuck is the heart and soul of the rolling stones.  by far my favorite stone.

October 15, 2015 at 7:58 pm #24026
    Anonymous

To Mr. Leavell.

You have been with The Stones for a long time.

That’s good enough for me.

Tim

October 15, 2015 at 8:09 pm #24028
    stonehearted
    Participant

Well, Ian Stewart chose him, didn’t he? That should be good enough for anyone.

By the way, I have a disc which I’ll soon be reviewing for the bootleg section, a live gig from 1982 where Stu and Chuck are onstage playing together. If there was any “plinkety plink” going on, I sure didn’t notice it. Then again, that was still the old and dirty days, before they polished up their stage act for Steel Wheels and beyond.

October 15, 2015 at 8:10 pm #24029
    D
    Keymaster

chuck is the heart and soul of the rolling stones. by far my favorite stone.

lol  I knew that was coming!  Comeon Tod…  Look at the Beacon thread again…  You and I both know he composed those sets and that Jagger approved them.  There is a good point to be made……  Would Sway have ever been played live in 2005 if it were not for Chuck making it happen…  Seriously.

My ‘mark to fame’ was putting out bootlegs during the A Bigger Bang tour.  One of the last tours when it mattered.  Now everyone has iPhones recording all the shows etc.  Sway was played for the first time in Columbus 2005.  I recorded it, then rushed back that night to mix it down and post it on IORR.  Everyone knew me as that ‘that guy who posted Sway the first time it was ever played’.  Chuck was responsible for pushing that song…  Give thanks man!

October 15, 2015 at 8:30 pm #24030
    Nikkei
    Participant

It just dawned on me that I didn’t even start a Matt Clifford Appreciation Thread since we have this forum. Usually its the first thing I do.

October 15, 2015 at 9:12 pm #24038
    Breath
    Participant

chuck is the heart and soul of the rolling stones. by far my favorite stone.

lol I knew that was coming! Comeon Tod… Look at the Beacon thread again… You and I both know he composed those sets and that Jagger approved them. There is a good point to be made…… Would Sway have ever been played live in 2005 if it were not for Chuck making it happen… Seriously. My ‘mark to fame’ was putting out bootlegs during the A Bigger Bang tour. One of the last tours when it mattered. Now everyone has iPhones recording all the shows etc. Sway was played for the first time in Columbus 2005. I recorded it, then rushed back that night to mix it down and post it on IORR. Everyone knew me as that ‘that guy who posted Sway the first time it was ever played’. Chuck was responsible for pushing that song… Give thanks man!

I gave it a solid C-minus!   Ya gotta work for your grades.  Imagine it without Chuck’s tremendous contributions!  Oh, the horror!

October 15, 2015 at 9:36 pm #24041
    sonomastone
    Participant

What’s next, a Herman’s Hermits appreciation thread?

🙂

I have nothing nice to say here, so I’m out.

October 15, 2015 at 9:41 pm #24042
    Breath
    Participant

What’s next, a Herman’s Hermits appreciation thread? :-)

peter nobody was a someone.  wait. peter noone was a somebody…

October 15, 2015 at 9:42 pm #24044
    Naturalust
    Participant

I think Chuck is a lot better than some people give him credit for. I tend to think that his playing is exactly what the Stones demand and expect from him and that he could do much more but has learned exactly what works best for Keith and Mick and has chosen not to rock the boat.

I’ve heard him play some amazing stuff in rehearsals, for instance the killer boogie playing he does to start that recording of Tumbling Dice , everyone clapping and singing jug band style , then it goes into a full band electric mix of the tune. Perhaps his style has become a bit too clean a polished  in some cases, I actually liked his earlier work with the Allman Bros. a bit better but I’m sure they probably gave him more latitude to cut loose. As it is, he is a grounding force for Mick’s vocals and keeps track of the tempos and arrangements. Mick and Keith love the guy.

As I posted once I got an email out of the blue from him telling me how much he liked one of my Stones covers  I posted on you tube (Let It Loose). It was amazingly sweet and nice of him to do. I understand why everybody likes the guy, I obviously do too. Keeping a band together is a lot more than just having the best players and Chuck is one of the reasons we still have the Stones in 2015, imo.

October 15, 2015 at 11:31 pm #24047
    Z
    Participant

Can you post a link to the Let It Loose cover, NL?

October 16, 2015 at 5:06 am #24051
    DandelionPowderman
    Participant

I have always given credit to Chuck’s keyboard (Wurlie/Rhodes) and hammond playing, when others have dissed him.

He could use a real piano, though, and adapt a devil may care-attitude about whether Keith or Ronnie would fuck it up. Less mid-range playing would suit the band’s sound. The «my licks will make a fuller sound for the band» is not working so well, imo.

But by all means, I love Chuck’s wurlie, rhodes and hammond playing.

-------------------------------
    BBB - Bring Blondie Back

October 16, 2015 at 9:34 am #24064
    Stoneburst
    Participant

I’ve no real problem with Chuck. I think a lot of people criticise him because it allows them to voice their dissatisfaction with certain things about the current lineup and how they play whilst directing that criticism away from the actual band members. Musically, he primarily does what Jagger requires of him, which unfortunately means sticking to the midrange. In truth, this says more about Keith and Ronnie that it does about Chuck, who is and always has been a fine musician. Whether his work with the Stones measures up to what he did with the Allman Brothers (clearly it doesn’t) is immaterial, since that’s not what he’s paid for.

October 16, 2015 at 9:35 am #24065
    Stoneburst
    Participant

That said, with Ronnie’s newfound consistency and centrality to the music, it’ll be interesting to see if Chuck’s role changes a bit on the next tour.

October 16, 2015 at 10:07 am #24066
    andrew t
    Participant

I have always given credit to Chuck’s keyboard (Wurlie/Rhodes) and hammond playing, when others have dissed him. He could use a real piano, though, and adapt a devil may care-attitude about whether Keith or Ronnie would fuck it up. Less mid-range playing would suit the band’s sound. The «my licks will make a fuller sound for the band» is not working so well, imo. But by all means, I love Chuck’s wurlie, rhodes and hammond playing.

That’s a pretty good summation of how I see it as well.

One thing that I have noticed is that there is less of him blatantly cueing the band by swooping his hand down the entire length of the keyboard going into and/or out of of any given bridge, or into the ending of a song since the 50th. That used to drive me bonkers. If you listen to stuff, especially from the Licks and Bigger Bang tours, it’s everywhere. And once you notice it, it just kills the moment. It’s like seeing a boom mike drop down into a movie scene. So much for the illusion.

Also it must be noted that Chuck is a helluva nice guy. There’s no showbiz airs there and he’s very accommodating to fans.  Real down to earth solid cat.

October 16, 2015 at 10:10 am #24067
    munichhilton
    Participant

Excellent work Andrew

Chuck is the boom mic of the Stones!

His best work is with the Crowes…Jealous Again

October 16, 2015 at 10:24 am #24068
    Breath
    Participant

There’s not a day that goes by that I don’t shudder at the thought of the Rolling Stones without Chuck Leavell leading the band….for awhile there it caused me to drink excessively before I realized that the whole matter was out of my hands and I would need to live in a world where this was a distinct possibility at some point.

October 16, 2015 at 10:26 am #24069
    trumplefingers
    Participant

I think Chuck might find a surprisingly large ground swell of support for  his cause, if he simply went with “Charlie” as his moniker instead of “Chuck”.

“Charlie” has a huge fan base within stones circles and I feel this could rub off on Leavell.

Remember, this is a band where 2 Mick’s were possible, why not 2 Charlie’s?

October 16, 2015 at 10:42 am #24070
    munichhilton
    Participant

Watt in the heck are you talking about?

October 16, 2015 at 10:53 am #24071
    Breath
    Participant

munich: you have a secret admirer – and that secret admirer is you.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.