• September 3, 2018 at 6:07 am #74334
    Marianita
    Participant

Ron Wood never came close to be a great guitarist as Mick Taylor. I’m not a guitarist but my ears have Mick Taylor as a favourite. Is there a live stones song played better by Wood? i doubt it

September 4, 2018 at 7:45 pm #74402
    D
    Keymaster

Street Fighting Man was always chaos to me. Live in 72 and 76 the problem was mainly the beat. Its punk rock instead of straight rocknroll. I actually far prefer what they did on Voodoo Lounge and recent tours on this track.

September 6, 2018 at 6:20 am #74403
    Marianita
    Participant

No i dont think it’s punk, it’s more like the Stones rocking hard. Talking about the 72/73 version we have to see the whole picture, it’s the grande finale of the show and they take the audience to another level, like a rocknroll extacy or rocknroll orgasm if you like. It’s like the band was thinking, ok let’s give ’em the final punch. That said i actually like the recent tours street fighting man very much, i follow you on that one but the energy of the Taylor years SFM is in another league. Listen to Charlie (and Bill) pumping out the beat, Keith riffing hard as hell, Taylor putting in some melodic licks on top of it all and Jagger giving the crowd the best frontman performance ever, enjoy

Rolling Stones Mick Jagger

September 9, 2018 at 1:19 pm #74425
    Nikkei
    Participant

Street Fighting Man was always chaos to me. Live in 72 and 76 the problem was mainly the beat. Its punk rock instead of straight rocknroll. I actually far prefer what they did on Voodoo Lounge and recent tours on this track.

The acoustic version that is the opening to Stripped 1995 is the definitive version of SFM in my book. It had a similiar ring to it when they did it earlier this year. Either that comes down to a guitar effect Ronnie uses or one of the keyboardists provides the fairy dust. But at times they managed to sound as if there was eastern instruments in it.

September 9, 2018 at 5:06 pm #74428
    Marianita
    Participant

September 9, 2018 at 5:07 pm #74429
    Marianita
    Participant

September 9, 2018 at 5:12 pm #74431
    Marianita
    Participant

funny how a kick ass song like that can end up like a movie theme or something

September 9, 2018 at 5:18 pm #74432
    Marianita
    Participant

The best version ?

September 9, 2018 at 5:23 pm #74433
    Marianita
    Participant

The acoustic version that is the opening to Stripped 1995 is the definitive version of SFM in my book. It had a similiar ring to it when they did it earlier this year. Either that comes down to a guitar effect Ronnie uses or one of the keyboardists provides the fairy dust. But at times they managed to sound as if there was eastern instruments in it.

Imagine Taylor playing lead on the stripped version

October 21, 2018 at 9:20 am #74860
    Marianita
    Participant

October 21, 2018 at 11:56 am #74861
    Roll Me
    Participant

perhaps fun to go down memory lane with Taylor but that sound, that version of this band is long gone and probably a good thing as its stuck in the 70’s…RW is alive and kicking…band sounds great…the Fonda show in 2015 is a great example…of how alive they are….the 76 shoes with RW were a breath of fresh air…last sessions with RW Blue and Lonesome were amazing….what would we do without RW…

October 21, 2018 at 2:41 pm #74862
    Marianita
    Participant

perhaps fun to go down memory lane with Taylor but that sound, that version of this band is long gone and probably a good thing as its stuck in the 70’s…RW is alive and kicking…band sounds great…the Fonda show in 2015 is a great example…of how alive they are….the 76 shoes with RW were a breath of fresh air…last sessions with RW Blue and Lonesome were amazing….what would we do without RW…

Well he can always paint rhino’s and setlist’s and be the 3’rd Stones guitarist. I think the band still sounds great but it could have been better. About the Fonda gig i think it is a bad gesture not to let Taylor play on those Sticky fingers songs. And Wood was great in 75,76,78,81 and 82 but from then on it went downhill with him clown’ing around. Dirty work,Steel wheels,voodoo,Bridges and A bigger Bong ain’t excactly masterpieces. The blue and lonesome was good though, but imagine Taylor playing on the Fonda gig and blue and lonesome, wow. Ron Wood on the 78 tour is the greatest Wood to me. I think Wood got jealous on Taylor for stealing the show. No doubt the audience liked it when Taylor was on stage so it’s a mystery to me why he suddenly wasn’t there anymore, kicking his ass right before Sticky fingers was played live and releasing a blues album, i think that is very very strange

here’s another prove

and another prove

October 22, 2018 at 5:44 am #74874
    Marianita
    Participant

I love Ronnie on this one,from 28:45

October 22, 2018 at 7:32 am #74875
    Roll Me
    Participant

Taylor was lucky to have been invited back by the Glimmers for a few shows…I hope it helped his bank account…..on with the show and RW.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by Roll Me.
    October 22, 2018 at 9:25 am #74877
    Marianita
    Participant

……Or the Stones were lucky to have Taylor in the band for a few years helping them to create those masterpieces so the rest of them could tour and make bad records for the rest of they’re lives and still be popular and make a fortune he he I don’t think it’s a nice way to treat a friend the way Stones treat Taylor. Hope Taylor write his memoir some day and tell us the truth about the whole story, something ain’t right. The Stones are a very cynical band, we all know that, don’t we? And if Taylor was to play on the next Stones album, how exiting would’nt that be? With Richards and Wood we get another Bong, don’t we? On with show for sure, and yes me to hope Taylor is loaded with cash

October 22, 2018 at 9:43 am #74880
    Breath
    Participant

Taylor was lucky to have been invited back by the Glimmers for a few shows

Not exactly. Taylor was asked to rejoin the band because that tour would not have moved forward without him.  The Stones were required to bring him along by the underwriters of the tour due to KR’s health issues.  They basically paid him 10k per gig to essentially sit in the wings in the event KR couldn’t perform….oh, yeah and then they trotted him out for a song or two just to make things look copacetic.

October 23, 2018 at 8:39 am #74894
    Roll Me
    Participant

well then its a good thing it was limited bc honestly he and the band looked dated while he was up there….full nostalgia,

October 23, 2018 at 9:54 am #74895
    Breath
    Participant

i agree with you….however, you could just as easily argue that the band IS dated and it IS a nostalgia show, with or without MT.  not that there’s anything wrong with that!

October 23, 2018 at 12:28 pm #74896
    Marianita
    Participant

But..but they are soon to release they’re best album since exile on main street

October 23, 2018 at 12:56 pm #74897
    Breath
    Participant

I know they’ve been releasing that best since exile album since exile itself. it’s getting boring.  how about a press release that tells us:  “this is the first album of new material since the just around the dawn of creation and it’s not very good but at least we’re not saying it’s the best since exile anymore, so give us some credit!”  and the next time anyone tells me the band is on fire, he’s going to be slapped back into reality.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.