"Hate To See You Go" (World's First Play, 20th October on BBC2)

• October 19, 2016 at 11:03 am #55604
    Cocaine Eyes
    Participant

From their new blues album:

~CE
    October 20, 2016 at 6:48 am #55631
    DandelionPowderman
    Participant

Here’s a snippet:

-------------------------------
    My cards are on the table

October 20, 2016 at 7:22 am #55633
    Cocaine Eyes
    Participant

Thanks DP. His voice sounds good.

~CE

October 20, 2016 at 7:24 am #55634
    andrew t
    Participant

I like that snippet. Sounds more authentic, so to speak, than Just Your Fool, which seemed more of of a pastiche.

October 20, 2016 at 11:00 am #55641
    treaclefingers
    Participant

BRILLIANT!  thanks for this!

October 21, 2016 at 7:47 am #55662
    Doxa
    Participant

So here it is in its whole glory:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4y8ulm_the-rolling-stones-hate-to-see-you-go_music

Yep, The Stones – surprise surprise – are a very good blues cover band. Actually so good that if almost anyone else trying to do such a one-to-one copy of the original, they probably wouldn’t sound so good. I guess some of it must be due to the fact that they had such a genuine, respectful relationship to the living blues idiom in their formative years. They were so eagerly inspired by it that you can still hear  their enthusiasm and passion, which sets them apart of many other rock bands or even white blues bands (now and even back then). Without that unique inspiration we wouldn’t have treated with things like “Midnight Rambler”. You can hear the fruits for “Rambler” here. And generally, that ‘the whole band together, havin a singular mindset ‘ concentarion on by sticking to the physical rhythm and around a repitive riff, no matter how simple it is, has always been their forte. Damn fine job by Charlie, Ronnie, Keith and Darryl (?), and Mick’s harmonica is a part of the deal. They clearly heard aad understood something in electric Chicago R&B that most of their contemporaries didn’t.

I guess they haven’t ever sounded so authentic Chicago blues band as they do here (funnily, even in their early days, they, probably unintentionally, sounded more “original” in their versions). I am positively surprised how good and fresh these two released blues tracks sound. Will that search for authenticity carry them through a whole album, not sounding repitive and one-dimensional, hard to tell yet. So far so good. I still have a bit mixed emotions how to to view the whole thing. Part of me welcomes and digs the idea of them staying as close as possible to the originals without even trying to add any novel elements there, but part of me thinks ‘what’s the point?’ (so part of me still, unfashionably, believes that new music still needs to have a certain ‘artistic point’ to justify for being released). Interesting to see how ‘general audience’ and ‘critics’ section’ will think, or is this to be doomed to be a kind of Rolling Stones hardcore fan affair, with no interest or impact outside of it.

But Mick Jagger is a damn good blues singer – and it actually is his voice which makes this version somehow distinctive.  Glad he let us to hear that now. I haven’t heard him sounding so great for ages.

• Doxa

October 21, 2016 at 9:13 am #55665
    Cocaine Eyes
    Participant

And if you’ve pre-ordered the album on iTunes, it’s ready for you. These Rolling Stones are really a very good band!

~CE :mrgreen: 

October 21, 2016 at 10:38 am #55666
    andrew t
    Participant

Well put Doxa. I’m enjoying this track, and I think it’s a more successful execution of the idea than Just Your Fool. At first, I thought maybe it was too repetitive, meaning there weren’t little licks or idiosyncrasies in there (although Mick’s breathing into the harmonica mic is a nice touch) , but after a couple of listens I’m digging the relentlessness of the beat. How that plays out over the whole album remains to be seen. Four or five of these in a row might start to get a little monotonous without some little bits of personality thrown in. But for now,  I’m going with this one as a keeper.

October 21, 2016 at 12:46 pm #55673
    keefriffhards
    Participant

This is a really welcome surprise, just when i thought i’d heard everything from the Stones they come up with these two Gem’s.

Wasn’t particularly looking forward to a Blues album of only covers, but if the rest of the album is like this the Stones have a massive hit on their hands.

Thank You Keith Richards for initiating this album..

October 21, 2016 at 4:39 pm #55688
    Cocaine Eyes
    Participant

To clarify what I said above – I mean, IF you’ve pre-paid for the whole album, the new song should be ready for you in your iTunes thing. In mine, it now says “pre-paid” beside this new song and I can play it whenever I want. (Or, I could just come here and listen to it!!)

~CE 😎 

October 21, 2016 at 8:24 pm #55699
    Doxa
    Participant

This is a really welcome surprise, just when i thought i’d heard everything from the Stones they come up with these two Gem’s. Wasn’t particularly looking forward to a Blues album of only covers, but if the rest of the album is like this the Stones have a massive hit on their hands. Thank You Keith Richards for initiating this album..

This sounds more like a Mick Jagger affair..  He is the one that makes it real and makes the difference. Mick Jagger and His Rolling Stones; the brain, the balls and focus – plus the ability… An incredible difference in energy and everything in compared to Keith’s boring lazy sunday afternoon tea album…

Jagger, the well-known Little Walter fan, is clearly calling the shots here. It happens, because he seemingly wants it that way. The rest just follow his will and one can hear that. And he sounds serious. Keith and his fans can be happy, if they like it. But forget that boring Crosseyed Dullshit… Fortunately, this new album nothing to do with that, and I am happy to say that!

• Doxa
    October 22, 2016 at 3:56 am #55702
    Marianita
    Participant

This is a really welcome surprise, just when i thought i’d heard everything from the Stones they come up with these two Gem’s. Wasn’t particularly looking forward to a Blues album of only covers, but if the rest of the album is like this the Stones have a massive hit on their hands. Thank You Keith Richards for initiating this album..

This sounds more like a Mick Jagger affair.. He is the one that makes it real and makes the difference. Mick Jagger and His Rolling Stones; the brain, the balls and focus – plus the ability… An incredible difference in energy and everything in compared to Keith’s boring lazy sunday afternoon tea album, the one made only for old, tired, retired, “trumped” people. As a living artist, Keith simpy is nothing but avantgarde jesus-like idol for die-hard Keith Richards fans and for – bless them – the idiot right wing of Rolling Stones fans loving for the obvious (The “Trump Section”), with no any real musical substance and point, and preffering it without the mind and balls and focus and heart of Mick Jagger. Jagger, the well-known Little Walter fan, is clearly calling the shots here. It happens, because he seemingly wants it that way. The rest just follow his will and one can hear that. And he sounds serious. Keith and his fans can be happy, if they like it. But forget that boring Crosseyed Dullshit… Fortunately, this new album nothing to do with that, and I am happy to say that!

• Doxa

That was fun read and maybe spot on. Say hallelujah, the “Trump section” too, say Hallelujah

Don't you think it's sometimes wise not to grow up?

October 22, 2016 at 4:30 am #55706
    keefriffhards
    Participant

This sounds more like a Mick Jagger affair.. He is the one that makes it real and makes the difference. Mick Jagger and His Rolling Stones; the brain, the balls and focus – plus the ability… An incredible difference in energy and everything in compared to Keith’s boring lazy sunday afternoon tea album… Jagger, the well-known Little Walter fan, is clearly calling the shots here. It happens, because he seemingly wants it that way. The rest just follow his will and one can hear that. And he sounds serious. Keith and his fans can be happy, if they like it. But forget that boring Crosseyed Dullshit… Fortunately, this new album nothing to do with that, and I am happy to say that!

• Doxa

Haha that was so funny, Completely inaccurate but hillaruios.  Keith initiated the album.  Fact,  ask Don Was.

October 22, 2016 at 4:40 am #55708
    Doxa
    Participant

Haha, Marianita… you quoted me before I censored myself… (one shouldn’t write when drunk…)

• Doxa
    October 22, 2016 at 5:05 am #55710
    keefriffhards
    Participant

Not to worry,  we get to see your true hatred and jealousy of Keith when you’re drunk. It even spills over to Keiths fans lol.

October 22, 2016 at 5:44 am #55711
    Marianita
    Participant

Haha, Marianita… you quoted me before I censored myself… (one shouldn’t write when drunk…)

• Doxa

he he Doxa, keep writing, you’re good at it, even when you’re drunk 🙂

October 22, 2016 at 5:59 am #55712
    Marianita
    Participant

Not to worry, we get to see your true hatred and jealousy of Keith when you’re drunk. It even spills over to Keiths fans lol.

he he Riffhards, its lovely to see how much of a Keith  defender you are.

i love keith richards fan

October 22, 2016 at 6:28 am #55715
    keefriffhards
    Participant

I just speak the truth

October 22, 2016 at 6:50 am #55718
    Marianita
    Participant

I just speak the truth

he he this is the truth, the brilliant days of mr.Richards and mr.Taylor. Listen to those guitars talking/communicating with each other, its just pure magic. London 73. say hallelujah, say double hallelujah 🙂

https://youtu.be/KODBxWDmqxw?t=7084

October 22, 2016 at 7:08 am #55720
    Doxa
    Participant

Not to worry, we get to see your true hatred and jealousy of Keith when you’re drunk. It even spills over to Keiths fans lol.

The term “hatred” is a bit too IORRIan to my taste – the use of it reminds me so much of Mr. Trump speaking “I hate to say this, but… I hate you”. So much “hatred” in the world these days. Or it is probably because I am a Finn, and used to use big terms such as “love” and “hate” only in very specific contexts, the way English-speaking are using those very terms so loosely, sounds odd to me… I mean, if I say I have ‘true hatred’ towards ISIS, would that mean being equal for me having ‘true hatred’ towards Keith Richards? What it is to ‘hate’ a musician? What is there to ‘hate’ actually? Him making a boring album to my taste? To put the thing into my vocabulary, I would say I don’t adore, or be so fond of, Keith Richards as many other people, like you, are, and I also probably am a bit more critical of his doings than many people are. (But frankly, if I ‘bash’ something, it is more about some sort of funny accounts and romantic fairytales and projections  people – “his fans” – have of Keith Richards, than the man itself – and most of it is self-criticism or even self-therapy… )

But more interesting and odd is the case of being “jealous”. The use of that term goes totally out of my grasp; there is no way I can translate it into my vocabulary. To be “jealous” of a rock musician I have admired and followed since I was twelve years old or something? For him being so successfull, rich and talented.. so ‘Keith Richards’? Or being “jealous” of Mick Jagger or Bob Dylan or, if you like, Picasso or Aristotle for them being as great as they are in their own fields? That kind of thing has never occurred to me – that I somehow compare the achievements of people like that to those of mine. Like I was in the same league as them. Sounds totally absurd to me. Probably if I’de be a fellow – or a failed – rock star, I might feel some sort of professional small-minded bitterness towards my better doing colleagues, but I don’t think there actually are any people like that in regards to Keith Richards. I think that in his field Keith Richards is just so big and recognized icon, even a concept, that he escapes that kind of small-mindedness. And generally l I think being “jealous” for someone one doesn’t even personally know, sounds a bit too far-reached – is that even possible? Probably Mick and Keith and Brian and Bill – Charlie probably not – might have some sort of that kind of feelings towards each other occasionally based on some sort of mutual competition or something. They at least know/knew each other.

But let’s say that I have a true hatred towards hangover and I am jealous for people not having that now…

• Doxa

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags

Recently Active Members

Profile picture of Marianita
Profile picture of Socrates
Profile picture of angee
Profile picture of DandelionPowderman
Profile picture of jasona93
Profile picture of Cocaine Eyes
Profile picture of stonehearted
Profile picture of OldSoul
Profile picture of keefriffhards
Profile picture of treaclefingers
Profile picture of goo
Profile picture of devdev
Profile picture of StrongBeach
Profile picture of D
Profile picture of Doxa
Profile picture of Z
Profile picture of Nikkei
Profile picture of tauk
Profile picture of Ale Lacasa
Profile picture of Stoneburst
Profile picture of Upgreydd
Profile picture of andrew t
Profile picture of Roll Me
Profile picture of SelenePhoenix
Profile picture of ReginaPhalange
Profile picture of illusion
Profile picture of Ebling
Profile picture of MidnightPeanut
Profile picture of Redhotcarpetred
Profile picture of bluzdude
Profile picture of VT22
Profile picture of detroitken
Profile picture of hwkn
Profile picture of mgarciaisaia
Profile picture of two4fun111
Profile picture of Chris

Mission Statement

This forum is dedicated to an open discussion of all things Rolling Stones.  From new fans to hardcore veterans, everyone is welcome.  Forum is moderated lightly.  The golden rule is in effect. Let the discussions run rampant, as long as personal insults stay at the door!