First Concert Going Experience

• October 21, 2015 at 11:48 am #24511
    bluzdude
    Participant

Let’s share our experiences with this.

It was 1968, just 13 years old, I was at home listening to radio station KHJ which had this safe-cracker contest going. I remember the Snake by Al Wilson came on and the DJ said 13th caller gets to play. I called and I was caller 13. No, I didn’t win the $1,000 prize, but I did win the consolation prize which was a pair of tickets to see the Jimi Hendrix Experience at the Hollywood Bowl.

my parents agreed to take me and pick me up from the show. They told me any future concerts, they would agree to drive one way if my friends parents drive the other way. I then immediately bought tickets for the farewell Cream concert the following month.

first 3 shows – all 1968

Hendrix……September 14

Cream………October 19

Doors……..December 9

What’s funny is that I’ve been to hundreds of concerts, but those are the only specific dates I remember.

I can't tell you the way I feel because the way I feel is oh so new to me.......or whatever

October 21, 2015 at 12:00 pm #24512
    Breath
    Participant

first one I can recall:  Buddy Morrow (one-time Tommy Dorsey trombonist) in Guam 1969…next one I can recall:  Engelbert Humperdinck in Vegas 1971….good times.

October 21, 2015 at 12:01 pm #24513
    Anonymous

My aunt took me to see KISS at The Capital Center in Landover, MD on December 20, 1977.
    Yes, onlystones was onlykiss at the time. I was ten. Didn’t know any better.

Thanks.
    Tim

October 21, 2015 at 12:13 pm #24517
    October 21, 2015 at 12:14 pm #24518
    StrongBeach
    Participant

Let’s share our experiences with this. It was 1968, just 13 years old, I was at home listening to radio station KHJ which had this safe-cracker contest going. I remember the Snake by Al Wilson came on and the DJ said 13th caller gets to play. I called and I was caller 13. No, I didn’t win the $1,000 prize, but I did win the consolation prize which was a pair of tickets to see the Jimi Hendrix Experience at the Hollywood Bowl. my parents agreed to take me and pick me up from the show. They told me any future concerts, they would agree to drive one way if my friends parents drive the other way. I then immediately bought tickets for the farewell Cream concert the following month. first 3 shows – all 1968 Hendrix……September 14 Cream………October 19 Doors……..December 9 What’s funny is that I’ve been to hundreds of concerts, but those are the only specific dates I remember.

You could have retired forever after those three concerts — impressive!

October 21, 2015 at 12:18 pm #24520
    Nikkei
    Participant

October 21, 2015 at 12:19 pm #24521
    Nikkei
    Participant

more about that later

October 21, 2015 at 12:22 pm #24525
    Breath
    Participant

Let’s share our experiences with this. It was 1968, just 13 years old, I was at home listening to radio station KHJ which had this safe-cracker contest going. I remember the Snake by Al Wilson came on and the DJ said 13th caller gets to play. I called and I was caller 13. No, I didn’t win the $1,000 prize, but I did win the consolation prize which was a pair of tickets to see the Jimi Hendrix Experience at the Hollywood Bowl. my parents agreed to take me and pick me up from the show. They told me any future concerts, they would agree to drive one way if my friends parents drive the other way. I then immediately bought tickets for the farewell Cream concert the following month. first 3 shows – all 1968 Hendrix……September 14 Cream………October 19 Doors……..December 9 What’s funny is that I’ve been to hundreds of concerts, but those are the only specific dates I remember.

what about my first two?

October 21, 2015 at 12:22 pm #24526
    bluzdude
    Participant

The Who — L.A. Forum — 9 Dec 71 http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-who/1971/the-forum-inglewood-ca-1bd65dc8.html

That was a great show! Saw them again a few years later with Lynyrd Skynyrd opening.

I can't tell you the way I feel because the way I feel is oh so new to me.......or whatever

October 21, 2015 at 12:29 pm #24527
    CindyC
    Participant

bluzdude – you win.   that is pretty awesome.     Hendrix as your first concert – amazing!

Mine was J. Geils with Jon Butcher Axis at the old Boston Garden – February 1982.

Preppy style was big back then, and I wore the purple version of this sweater to the concert.   what a dork.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well

Attachments:
    October 21, 2015 at 1:58 pm #24552
    Ebling
    Participant

Jackson Browne. 1975 in Wichita, KS.  Don’t remember too much about it as I was very young.

October 21, 2015 at 2:24 pm #24553
    Naturalust
    Participant

Sly and the Family Stone, tagged along with my big sister and it was a big secret and a bonding experience for me since I was too young to be attending concerts. The imprinted memories for me were all the hippie chicks smoking joints (smelled rank to me) , Sly’s big (pink?) hat and the song “Higher”.  He came out at the beginning of the show with a box full of bills and started by throwing the money to the audience crowded around the front of the stage.  Talk about a good way to get people excited!

Totally jealous of BluzDude’s first concert since I became a Hendrix freak years later but he was long gone by that time. I have grilled people I’ve met about Jimi and their concert experiences, including Jerry Garcia, who talking about him with child-like enthusiasm and a sparkle in his eye. Hendrix, Cream and the Who? Those are some serious first concert creds!

October 21, 2015 at 2:39 pm #24554
    Anonymous

Not Dorky at all. Preppie Hot.

Tim

October 21, 2015 at 3:15 pm #24558
    jasona93
    Participant

Brought this up on Facebook today, with all the Back to the Future and Huey Lewis on the soundtrack nostalgia going on today. Huey Lewis and the News was the first headline act I ever saw, after watching Tower of Power Horn Section open up for them. Fortunately, 11 year old me’s tastes improved.

October 21, 2015 at 4:50 pm #24565
    ReginaPhalange
    Participant

Huey Lewis and the News was my first concert as well. Saw them at the CNE in Toronto, maybe 1985?

October 21, 2015 at 4:59 pm #24566
    StrongBeach
    Participant

what about my first two?

You can’t beat EH in Vegas. Were you a military brat, Tod?

October 21, 2015 at 5:01 pm #24567
    StrongBeach
    Participant

The Who — L.A. Forum — 9 Dec 71 http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-who/1971/the-forum-inglewood-ca-1bd65dc8.html

That was a great show! Saw them again a few years later with Lynyrd Skynyrd opening.

I went with my cheerleader girlfriend (who shortly thereafter broke up with me and tore my heart in two) while all my friends went together, got super high, and had a lovely time.

October 21, 2015 at 5:07 pm #24568
    Breath
    Participant

what about my first two?

no…we just moved every two years (for legal reasons, I’m told).  but I feel it kinda like it made me bratty and that feels right.

October 21, 2015 at 5:18 pm #24569
    StrongBeach
    Participant

what about my first two?

no…we just moved every two years (for legal reasons, I’m told). but I feel it kinda like it made me bratty and that feels right.

Guam will do that to a fella.

October 21, 2015 at 5:25 pm #24570
    Cocaine Eyes
    Participant

I started out right where I still am – The Rolling Stones in 1972. Toronto, Maple Leaf Gardens. (Am I in a rut or what?) At least I’m consistent…….

~CE :mrgreen: 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags

Recently Active Members

Profile picture of Marianita
Profile picture of Cocaine Eyes
Profile picture of DandelionPowderman
Profile picture of jasona93
Profile picture of Socrates
Profile picture of stonehearted
Profile picture of angee
Profile picture of OldSoul
Profile picture of keefriffhards
Profile picture of treaclefingers
Profile picture of goo
Profile picture of devdev
Profile picture of StrongBeach
Profile picture of D
Profile picture of Doxa
Profile picture of Z
Profile picture of Nikkei
Profile picture of tauk
Profile picture of Ale Lacasa
Profile picture of Stoneburst
Profile picture of Upgreydd
Profile picture of andrew t
Profile picture of Roll Me
Profile picture of SelenePhoenix
Profile picture of ReginaPhalange
Profile picture of illusion
Profile picture of Ebling
Profile picture of MidnightPeanut
Profile picture of Redhotcarpetred
Profile picture of bluzdude
Profile picture of VT22
Profile picture of detroitken
Profile picture of hwkn
Profile picture of mgarciaisaia
Profile picture of two4fun111
Profile picture of Chris

Mission Statement

This forum is dedicated to an open discussion of all things Rolling Stones.  From new fans to hardcore veterans, everyone is welcome.  Forum is moderated lightly.  The golden rule is in effect. Let the discussions run rampant, as long as personal insults stay at the door!