• September 17, 2016 at 9:55 am #54218
    D
    Keymaster

What is your personal favorite tour, of the ones you attended? Personally I really enjoyed everything about No Security. The only show I attended, Columbus, had very quiet sound (especially compared to the perfect and blazingly loud sound of the opener Johnny Lang) but the show was fantastic. I loved almost every bootleg from that tour.

September 17, 2016 at 10:25 am #54223
    Breath
    Participant

I gotta go with the Dirty Work Tour of ’85. Sparsely attended and rarely discussed but I think history will be kind to it. Winning ugly for sure but a win is a win

September 17, 2016 at 10:46 am #54225
    D
    Keymaster

I gotta go with the Dirty Work Tour of ’85. Sparsely attended and rarely discussed but I think history will be kind to it. Winning ugly for sure but a win is a win

Had It With You and Flight 505 as the encores was a stroke of genius.

September 17, 2016 at 10:51 am #54226
    Breath
    Participant

The only tour to date where Ronnie, Bill and Charlie were each afforded the chance to sing lead vocals on songs, giving Mick and Keith a chance to shoot up. Oh how I miss the glorious 80’s.

September 17, 2016 at 11:06 am #54228
    Cocaine Eyes
    Participant

My two (equally?) favourite tours were 1972 & 1975 in Toronto, Maple Leaf Gardens. That first night in 1972 forever changed my life. There they were, right in front of my face. And they were ragged, rough, wobbly, not respectable, not sanitised………perfectly what I wanted and needed. Wish those days had never ended!

~CE

Attachments:
    September 17, 2016 at 12:35 pm #54234
    Breath
    Participant

72 and 75? Was that in this lifetime?  Seems like it might have been one or two back.

September 17, 2016 at 2:42 pm #54237
    stonehearted
    Participant

The only show I’ve ever attended was 2013 in Boston. It was in a small arena. They played Memory Motel that night. They had Bobby Keys and Mick Taylor onstage. And Midnight Rambler sounded just like it did on Hot Rocks.

September 18, 2016 at 10:30 am #54242
    Roll Me
    Participant

Licks…similar to Some Girls in that they had something to prove….the breadth of the shows, and the performances were stellar…tix for these shows were best ever.

September 18, 2016 at 12:16 pm #54243
    Breath
    Participant

Ah yes, the fruit of the loom tour. And despite its unofficial sobriquet, it really wasn’t a brief tour.

September 18, 2016 at 6:26 pm #54247
    trumplefingers
    Participant

The only tour to date where Ronnie, Bill and Charlie were each afforded the chance to sing lead vocals on songs, giving Mick and Keith a chance to shoot up. Oh how I miss the glorious 80’s.

so wrong…

Charlie was also shooting up…but yes, that was with Mick.  It was Ronnie Bill and Keith doing the vocals…at that point though Keith could still sing and play guitar at the same time.  Too Rude indeed!

September 19, 2016 at 3:52 am #54249
    stonehearted
    Participant

Actually, the Stones did tour Dirty Work in 1986 — one show only at the 100 Club in London, on February 23, and they only played one song off of the album, Harlem Shuffle… oh, and Charlie could only play the second half of the show, a snowstorm you understand… they had a drummer fill in for the first half, Simon Kirke… guess they knew Charlie was gonna be late, snowstorms being what they were in those days, you know,… I mean, couldn’t have your drummer held up smack in the middle of a snowstorm, so better have another drummer handy… like they did for the Dirty Work album….

….And don’t expect to be able to hear the Dirty Work tour concert tape, because only one member of the audience (Paul McCartney) was recording it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/stones-pay-tribute-to-ian-stewart-with-club-show-special-guests-19860410

September 22, 2016 at 4:02 pm #54316
    andrew t
    Participant

’89 because you always remember your first, and probably ’02 for the small shows and the varied setlists.

Honourable mention to seeing Mick Taylor for 2 1/2 songs in 2013.

September 23, 2016 at 8:19 am #54325
    munichhilton
    Participant

Ain’t nuffin’ on dis erff better than that glorious weekend in San Francisco 1981…the 49ers ruled the world and the Stones ruled the Fall…

September 23, 2016 at 3:08 pm #54350
    Marianita
    Participant

i am a vegas era concertgoer and my best live memories are midnight rambler oslo and roskilde with mick taylor. hm when i think about it taylor is my favorite stones guitarist 🙂 wish i could have seen the stones in the 60s and 70s and 81/82. right now its friday night and let it bleed and you got the silver loud on my amplifier and i have to say, lifes good. bring back taylor for fucks sake. A new blues album without taylor sounds strange to me

Don't you think it's sometimes wise not to grow up?

September 23, 2016 at 3:34 pm #54351
    bluzdude
    Participant

Tough to say, I’m generally easy to please, so while I can find flaws in any performance, I keep coming back because I keep enjoying the shows. Hearing, and seeing CYHMK with Taylor was definitely a highlight in 2013….but I guess I would have 1972…..why? I really don’t know.

I can't tell you the way I feel because the way I feel is oh so new to me.......or whatever

September 23, 2016 at 4:03 pm #54353
    Breath
    Participant

Tough to say, I’m generally easy to please, so while I can find flaws in any performance, I keep coming back because I keep enjoying the shows. Hearing, and seeing CYHMK with Taylor was definitely a highlight in 2013….but I guess I would have 1972…..why? I really don’t know.

I know why. And I think you do too. I think we all do

September 23, 2016 at 4:04 pm #54354
    Marianita
    Participant

if i knew that i was going to a stones 72 tour show when i die i would have killed myself right now 🙂

September 24, 2016 at 10:38 am #54393
    Breath
    Participant

if i knew that i was going to a stones 72 tour show when i die i would have killed myself right now 🙂

I just checked and it’s true: in heaven the 72 Stones are playing in a continuous loop. In hell, it’s 50th anniversary and counting act playing with no alcohol or narcotics permitted, which is just plain mean, but that’s hell for you. It must be hell, indeed

September 25, 2016 at 6:19 am #54398
    Marianita
    Participant

I just checked and it’s true: in heaven the 72 Stones are playing in a continuous loop. In hell, it’s 50th anniversary and counting act playing with no alcohol or narcotics permitted, which is just plain mean, but that’s hell for you. It must be hell, indeed

omg i wanna go to heaven, hell sounds boring

September 25, 2016 at 10:20 am #54403
    Breath
    Participant

or….

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.