• September 12, 2016 at 9:51 am #54132
    Cocaine Eyes
    Participant

Nicholas Roeg’s film The Man Who Fell To Earth will be coming to theatres again soon. Let’s talk about esoteric films and their filmmakers. Some of MY favourites are:

– Ken Russell (I’m OBSESSED with his films!!)

– Jean-Luc Godard

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/sep/08/the-man-who-fell-to-earth-soundtrack-bowie-john-phillips

~CE

On arriving in London in 1976, faced with putting together a score from scratch in an exceedingly short time, Phillips knew he needed “someone who could really play”. That person was Mick Taylor, erstwhile guitarist for the Rolling Stones, who he considered “the best guitar player in the world”.

They started work at Glebe Place, Phillips’ rented house in Chelsea. One day, Phillips recalled, “Keith Richards walked in and there’s Mick Taylor sitting there. We’re playing guitar together.” On seeing Taylor, Richards let out a scream. “They both froze.” They hadn’t seen each other since Taylor had walked out on the Stones just over a year earlier. “It was a little testy,” Phillips said.

Richards and Taylor behaved “like dogs circling”. Keith broke the ice the only way he knew how: he grabbed a guitar and joined in. “We just played old country songs,” Phillips said. Those would become the basis for the music Phillips recorded for the film, which included originals like Boys from the South, as well as spirited covers of Hank Snow’s Rhumba Boogie and Bill Monroe and his Bluegrass Boys’ Bluegrass Breakdown.

September 13, 2016 at 12:01 pm #54159
    stonehearted
    Participant

C’était un Rendezvous (It was a Date), the 1976 short by Claude Lelouch showing a high-speed race through the pre-dawn streets of Paris (with the car driven by Lelouch himself), is notable for the fact that it was done illegally, that is, without a permit (note how the driver runs a red light at 1:29). The view is through a camera mounted on the front bumper of a Mercedes 450SEL 6.9, with the sound of a Ferrari 275 GTB (owned by the filmmaker) dubbed onto the film soundtrack.

Here is a short documentary on the making of Rondezvous.

A 2006 interview with Lelouch on the making of Rondezvous.

September 13, 2016 at 12:19 pm #54160
    Cocaine Eyes
    Participant

I suppose we should add Andy Warhol to the esoteric group? His films were certainly differentThey were/are anything but short. In fact, they were done in real time: ie Empire was 12 hours long while Sleep was 8 hours long! And yes, I sat through BOTH of those films!

~CE 🇨🇦 👁 👀 👓🇨🇦

September 13, 2016 at 12:25 pm #54161
    Breath
    Participant

I don’t watch films and don’t care about film-makers no matter how esoteric or satanic or messianic they may be…

September 13, 2016 at 12:32 pm #54162
    Cocaine Eyes
    Participant

I don’t watch films and don’t care about film-makers no matter how esoteric or satanic or messianic they may be…

That’s cool. Chacun son gout. Ou quelque chose……. (No Alastair Crowley for me)

~CE🇨🇦 👀 🇨🇦

September 13, 2016 at 12:40 pm #54163
    Breath
    Participant

i’m sorry your son, Chacon, has gout. bummer.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.