• May 17, 2016 at 12:55 pm #47508
    jasona93
    Participant

Re-stumbled on this one today and I haven’t given a listen or a view in a while, I really enjoyed this show, and it hit simulcast airwaves 12 tracks in (Miss You). Surprised this full version pro-shot Glastonbury didn’t get a proper release or added to a super deluxe of Sweet Summer Sun. Start it up didn’t get scarfed though the kids got lost singing along to YCAGWYW.

May 18, 2016 at 5:55 am #47551
    Marianita
    Participant

Lovely show. Waiting for the vinyl boot to come. Wonder if they have done something like they did with factory girl/glastonbury girl before?

Don't you think it's sometimes wise not to grow up?

May 18, 2016 at 10:35 am #47560
    jasona93
    Participant

Lovely show. Waiting for the vinyl boot to come. Wonder if they have done something like they did with factory girl/glastonbury girl before?

If that vinyl boot comes, please advise, i’ll buy one too! I haven’t heard any recent lyric changes to reflect the city or anything like that, but it was fun in this case! I wish during Zip Code and 50 and counting that they did a little more of that – in Buffalo they covered Rick James’ Superfreak for a few seconds (he was from Buffalo) – more would have been cooler! Toronto2 in 50 and counting, a snippet of ‘Come On’ as that day was the actual 50th anniversary.

May 18, 2016 at 10:43 am #47561
    Breath
    Participant

more snippets. in fact an entire show and tour devoted to snippets, please. a two-hour setlist could be made up of, what, maybe 250 snippets? this is the kind of “out of the box” thinking that has been sorely lacking with the stones for far too long.  why is it that WE have to be coming up with these brilliant ideas??

May 18, 2016 at 11:26 am #47565
    stonehearted
    Participant

I haven’t heard any recent lyric changes to reflect the city or anything like that, but it was fun in this case! I wish during Zip Code and 50 and counting that they did a little more of that – in Buffalo they covered Rick James’ Superfreak for a few seconds (he was from Buffalo) – more would have been cooler! Toronto2 in 50 and counting, a snippet of ‘Come On’ as that day was the actual 50th anniversary.

On May 30, 2015, they did Hang On Sloopy, which is the official rock song of the state of Ohio, but also because it is associated with the football team of Ohio State University, the Buckeyes, who were national college football champions that year, and the Stones’ concert just happened to be in the stadium where the Buckeyes play (Ohio Stadium in Columbus). The Stones used to play this song live in concert in 1966, but hadn’t played it since then.

May 18, 2016 at 11:46 am #47566
    Marianita
    Participant

Nice one Stonehearted. Wonder if there are any recordings of stones playing “hang on sloopy” in 66. Id love to hear that version if it exists

May 18, 2016 at 12:05 pm #47570
    stonehearted
    Participant

Nice one Stonehearted. Wonder if there are any recordings of stones playing “hang on sloopy” in 66. Id love to hear that version if it exists

Yes, that’s what I was thinking. According to one source, it was in their set list that year for around a dozen shows — but it isn’t in the Hawaii bootleg I have, and which you posted in LongBeach’s Best Live Versions thread (Rolling Stones in Action). According to New Musical Express and other sources, it was during their 1966 European tour that they played it (so between March 26 and April 5), and setlist.fm has it as being played 11 times. Here’s a link that has dates, venues, and cities for that tour: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rolling_Stones_European_Tour_1966

So, the trick would be to track down audio of one of these shows, if any exist. The 1966 Paris Olympia (March 29) shows seem like the best bet.

May 18, 2016 at 12:09 pm #47571
    stonehearted
    Participant

Aha! Just tracked down a source that has the bootleg CD of the March 29, 1966 Paris concerts. Hang On Sloopy wasn’t in the first show, but was played in the second.

Source link: http://vivalesbootlegs.blogspot.com/2011/02/rolling-stones-musicorama-mixdown.html

May 18, 2016 at 12:15 pm #47572
    Marianita
    Participant

ok thank you stonehearted. Guess/hope they have it in their vaults and release it. Decca we need more. The Charlie is my darling boxset was wonderfull. Decca and ABKCO should invite some hardcore fans to their vaults and let them decide what to be released he he

May 18, 2016 at 12:16 pm #47574
    stonehearted
    Participant

Well, this clip is from the Paris March 29, 1966 show, but appears not to be complete.

Mercy Mercy/She Said Yeah/Play With Fire/Spider and the Fly/I’m Alright/Time Is On My Side/Roll Over Beethoven

May 18, 2016 at 12:17 pm #47575
    Breath
    Participant

ok thank you stonehearted. Guess/hope they have it in their vaults and release it. Decca we need more. The Charlie is my darling boxset was wonderfull. Decca and ABKCO should invite some hardcore fans to their vaults and let them decide what to be released he he

any hardcore fans in particular you have in mind?

May 18, 2016 at 12:19 pm #47576
    Marianita
    Participant

Aha! Just tracked down a source that has the bootleg CD of the March 29, 1966 Paris concerts. Hang On Sloopy wasn’t in the first show, but was played in the second. Source link: http://vivalesbootlegs.blogspot.com/2011/02/rolling-stones-musicorama-mixdown.html

Nice work Stonehearted. mercy mercy, she said yeah, hang on sloopy, the spider and the fly. I go hunting for that boot. Good detective work you did there Stonehearted. Thanks

May 18, 2016 at 12:23 pm #47578
    Marianita
    Participant

ha ha ha oh yes many, but i dont think they dare to put any of us on this forum in their vaults. drinking and smoking and trashing their valuable tapes. Guess we would have fucked it up he he but hey its only rocknroll

May 18, 2016 at 12:29 pm #47580
    Breath
    Participant

ha ha ha oh yes many, but i dont think they dare to put any of us on this forum in their vaults. drinking and smoking and trashing their valuable tapes. Guess we would have fucked it up he he but hey its only rocknroll

why don’t you give jody klein a call and say we’re planning a little field trip out there and not to worry about a thing; we’ll clean up after we’re done.

May 18, 2016 at 12:33 pm #47581
    Marianita
    Participant

Well, this clip is from the Paris March 29, 1966 show, but appears not to be complete.

<iframe id=”fitvid0″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/slHBLXDoxb0?feature=oembed&wmode=transparent” width=”300″ height=”150″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”allowfullscreen”></iframe>

Awesome. I love this. now were talking. Beauty mercy mercy, she said yeah, play with fire (or you better start sleeping with your mother), spider and the fly, roll over beethoven, hang on sloopy etc.  This is what i want them to play again.

May 18, 2016 at 12:38 pm #47582
    Marianita
    Participant

why don’t you give jody klein a call and say we’re planning a little field trip out there and not to worry about a thing; we’ll clean up after we’re done.

ha ha guess it would have looked like Hitlers bunker when we were finished. Nothing left. Hard to clean up he he and i think those Kleins are a little bit scary. Ive seen some pictures of her father with the gun.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.