• October 19, 2015 at 5:39 pm #24388
    LongBeachArena72
    Participant

I’ve always wondered about this “rehearsal” in the middle of a tour. On 22 June The Stones played KC, and on 24 and 25 June they played the four shows that would be recorded for the LADIES AND GENTLEMEN film. By 23 June they’d already played 19 shows; what did they need to “rehearse”? I’ve assumed that they wanted to tighten things up a bit for the upcoming filming … but look at what they played in that rehearsal:

<span style=”font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;”>23rd June: Dallas, Texas, Sumet-Burnet Recording Studio. Tour-rehearsals.
    – (Jungle Disease) Jam 1  1.33
    – (Jungle Disease) Jam 2  3.30
    – Blues jam  5.20 -instrumental
    – (Slim Harpo) Jam  3.11 -instrumental
    – Let It Loose 1 (MJ/KR) 0.20 -guitar only
    – Let It Loose 2 (MJ/KR) 0.44 -instrumental, broken off
    – Let It Loose 3 (MJ/KR) 1.22 -broken off
    – Let It Loose 4 (MJ/KR) 1.40 -instrumental, broken off
    – Let It Loose 5 (MJ/KR) 4.00 -broken off
    – Let It Loose 6 (MJ/KR) 2.55 -middle part only
    – Blues jam  1.11 -instrumental
    – Gimme Shelter (MJ/KR) 3.10 -instrumental
    – Jam 2.17 -instrumental
    – Ventilator Blues 1 (MJ/KR/MT) 5.46
    – Ventilator Blues 2 (MJ/KR/MT) 3.03
    – Blues jam  1.40 -instrumental
    – Sweet Black Angel (MJ/KR) 2.40 -instrumental
    – Don’t Lie To Me (Chuck Berry) 0.23
    – Shake Your Hips 1 (James Moore) 1.10 -broken off
    – Shake Your Hips 2 (James Moore) 3.38
    – Let It Loose 7 (MJ/KR) 3.43
    – Let It Loose 8 (MJ/KR) 0.40 -instrumental
    – Shave ‘Em Dry (Trad.) 0.26 -partly improvised lyrics
    – Key To The Highway (William Broonzy/Charles Segar) 5.58
    – 32-20 Blues (Robert Johnson) 1.42
    – When You Got A Good Friend (Robert Johnson) 2.10
    – Torn And Frayed 1 (MJ/KR) 0.28 -broken off
    – Torn And Frayed 2 (MJ/KR) -0.40 -instrumental, broken off
    – Torn And Frayed 3 (MJ/KR) -3.40 -instrumental
    – Rock jam 0.38 -instrumental
    – The Last Time (MJ/KR) 0.20 -guitar only
    – Satisfaction 1 (MJ/KR) 4.41 -instrumental
    – Satisfaction 2 (MJ/KR) 2.40 -instrumental
    – Monkey Man (MJ/KR) 2.42 -instrumental
    – (Whip’s Crack) Jam 5.10 -instrumental
    – (Tiger Snarl) Jam 1.50 -instrumental
    + lots of tuning and noodling</span>

Why eight versions of “Let it Loose”? Three of “Torn & Frayed”? Two each of “Hip Shake” and “Ventilator Blues”? Their setlist had been set in stone by at least 10 June (if not earlier) … so where they really in the middle of a tour thinking of adding new songs? Just playing ’em for fun, to get loosened up?

Anybody have any insight/background info as to what the purpose of this session might have been? I would’ve thought they could have used the day off by that point in the tour! 🙂

October 19, 2015 at 6:39 pm #24389
    DandelionPowderman
    Participant

Supposedly, Keith was very unhappy with a show (can’t remember which one) and demanded extra rehearsals mid-tour.

Weird indeed..

-------------------------------
    BBB - Bring Blondie Back

October 19, 2015 at 6:43 pm #24390
    LongBeachArena72
    Participant

Yeah, esp when you figure that “Gimme Shelter” is the only thing on that list that they had even played recently.

October 19, 2015 at 6:50 pm #24391
    DandelionPowderman
    Participant

Might have been their change to alter the set list a bit, though..

BBB - Bring Blondie Back

October 19, 2015 at 7:35 pm #24392
    Stoneburst
    Participant

Is this the source for that Taylor/Richards instrumental version of Gimme Shelter that’s been on YouTube for ages?

October 19, 2015 at 8:53 pm #24395
    LongBeachArena72
    Participant

Might have been their change to alter the set list a bit, though..

Ahh, man, I would have loved to have heard them try “Let It Loose” live that year. Not sure they could have pulled it off even then but it might have been glorious!

October 19, 2015 at 8:57 pm #24396
    LongBeachArena72
    Participant

Is this the source for that Taylor/Richards instrumental version of Gimme Shelter that’s been on YouTube for ages?

The “gimme shelter” here is marked as being from the Dallas rehearsal. Is this the one you mean?

October 20, 2015 at 12:05 am #24397
    TheRealKennedy
    Participant

Interesting topic. I never did the math and had always assumed this was a pre-tour rehearsal, not mid-tour.  I wonder if they had plans to drop in some different tunes for the film.

October 20, 2015 at 12:47 am #24398
    LongBeachArena72
    Participant

Interesting topic. I never did the math and had always assumed this was a pre-tour rehearsal, not mid-tour. I wonder if they had plans to drop in some different tunes for the film.

Possibly. They did play “Don’t Lie to Me” at the second show the following night in Fort Worth (although of course it didn’t appear in the film.) I guess “Let it Loose,” “Hip Shake,” “Torn and Frayed,” and “Ventilator Blues” just didn’t cut it in rehearsal. In the band’s defense, that ’72 setlist was already full of classic performances; what should they have dropped to add any or all of the four new songs above?

October 20, 2015 at 4:00 am #24400
    Doxa
    Participant

It looks like that they had a serious try on “Let It Loose”. Unfortunately that never was realized.

Another thing I really would like just to hear is “Monkey Man”. An instrumential only, but it would be interesting to hear what Richards/Taylor duo might have come up with. They were genious at the time giving new fascinating interpretations for that kind of BEGGARS/BLEED material.

– Doxa

October 20, 2015 at 9:27 am #24411
    DandelionPowderman
    Participant

Interesting topic. I never did the math and had always assumed this was a pre-tour rehearsal, not mid-tour. I wonder if they had plans to drop in some different tunes for the film.

Possibly. They did play “Don’t Lie to Me” at the second show the following night in Fort Worth (although of course it didn’t appear in the film.) I guess “Let it Loose,” “Hip Shake,” “Torn and Frayed,” and “Ventilator Blues” just didn’t cut it in rehearsal. In the band’s defense, that ’72 setlist was already full of classic performances; what should they have dropped to add any or all of the four new songs above?

They played Sweet Black Angel as well, but the ending of DLTM and the rather poor performance of the latter probably made them easy not to include in the film, like they intended.

Doxa: Keith and Ronnie plays a good portion of Monkey Man on the First Barbarians live at Kilburn. Great stuff!

BBB - Bring Blondie Back

October 20, 2015 at 9:37 am #24412
    Anonymous

Where can one find the Monkey Man, DP?

Tim

October 20, 2015 at 10:04 am #24413
    munichhilton
    Participant

What exactly was the jungle disease? Was there a cure?

October 20, 2015 at 10:22 am #24414
    DandelionPowderman
    Participant

Where can one find the Monkey Man, DP? Tim

It’s on Spotify, Tim. It’s integrated into Shirley.

BBB - Bring Blondie Back

Attachments:
    October 20, 2015 at 12:09 pm #24419
    Anonymous

Thanks, DP. Haven’t looked yet. Are there pix of Shirley/MM? Did Ronnie use his SWM guitar? What was Keith playing? Have seen KR him use numerous guitars playing Monkey Man.
    ????

Tim

October 20, 2015 at 12:37 pm #24421
    Naturalust
    Participant

I would be very grateful if someone could post or attach an  .mp3 of any or all of those Let It Loose rehearsal versions.  Thanks.  We have all speculated that Mick would never be able to repeat his vocal performance of that beautiful tune, it would be nice to verify this at some level.

October 20, 2015 at 1:19 pm #24422
    Z
    Participant

October 20, 2015 at 1:28 pm #24423
    DandelionPowderman
    Participant

Here it is, Tim:
    <p style=”display: inline !important;”>https://youtu.be/VnMiNdL8w8o</p&gt;

BBB - Bring Blondie Back

October 20, 2015 at 1:29 pm #24424
    Naturalust
    Participant

Thanks Z! I quite enjoyed Mick’s attempt on that one. Sounds like an alternate studio take to me, the background music sounded very similar to the record.  I am particularly interested in the live rehearsal stuff that was listed on that bootleg. Anybody who could post that would delight me even more!

October 20, 2015 at 1:34 pm #24426
    Z
    Participant

As far as I remember it’s not an alternate version but actually a take from the Dallas rehearsal. I may be wrong…

A different key too. Studio version is in F, this one’s in D.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.