Blind Faith 1969

• October 20, 2015 at 8:31 pm #24460
    shesarainbow
    Participant

Hyde Park concert (with a cover of “Under My Thumb” somewhere in the setlist)

October 20, 2015 at 9:47 pm #24464
    Nikkei
    Participant

You really like Under My Thumb, don’t you? The Who recorded a version too, in protest of Mick and Keith having to sit out a night in jail. The Blind Faith set is great, in fact all the performances on that day were, except for the Stones and a band called Screw. We could also discuss King Crimson. Its remarkable how medieval Hyde Park can look when there’s no tiers, ad banners, fake trees and a cardboard village of food stands clogging up the place. Did I mention the Swing Carousel? They had one of those too

October 21, 2015 at 12:51 am #24473
    bluzdude
    Participant

Blind Faith played the Forum in 1969. In life magazine there was a 2 page photograph of the band and audience taken from behind Ginger Baker’s back. I’m pretty sure I saw at least part of myself in that photo.

…Oh yes, one of the very few times I ever saw a band play an album in its entirety (granted there were only 6 songs on it).

I can't tell you the way I feel because the way I feel is oh so new to me.......or whatever

October 21, 2015 at 6:26 am #24496
    Z
    Participant

You really like Under My Thumb, don’t you? The Who recorded a version too, in protest of Mick and Keith having to sit out a night in jail.

Anyone remember the Boomtown Rats version of Under My Thumb? I haven’t heard it in years. It was so ugly no one even dares to upload it to YouTube.

October 21, 2015 at 9:15 am #24503
    Stoneburst
    Participant

I’ve always been very fond of this show, and Blind Faith generally. Of course, I don’t regret that the band flopped, since without their failure there would have been no Derek & The Dominos, but it’s interesting to speculate on what might have been had the band lasted. Musically I think they were ahead of their time in many ways. Winwood’s songwriting and voice bought something Cream never had (ditto Traffic: much as I like Dave Mason, he wasn’t a virtuoso on Eric’s level).

As for Hyde Park, it’s well known that Clapton came offstage upset at the sound and the performance, thinking that they’d been under-rehearsed and under-amplified. You wonder if he’d let his anxieties about fans’ expectations – the looming spectre of a ‘super Cream’, with all that entailed musically and commercially – get to him and ultimately mess with his own expectations. In 1969 it was a brave choice for Clapton to go onstage with a Telecaster, keep the volume down a bit and play tasteful, melodic breaks that served the songs instead of taking the more obvious approach (i.e. going full Steppin’ Out on every song). His playing here is lovely and understated, and Under My Thumb is indeed the highlight of the set. They really honed this approach on the European tour that followed, and as I recall there are a couple of bootlegs that are totally worth getting – Gothenburg especially so.

October 21, 2015 at 1:08 pm #24540
    shesarainbow
    Participant

You really like Under My Thumb, don’t you? The Who recorded a version too, in protest of Mick and Keith having to sit out a night in jail. The Blind Faith set is great, in fact all the performances on that day were, except for the Stones and a band called Screw. We could also discuss King Crimson. Its remarkable how medieval Hyde Park can look when there’s no tiers, ad banners, fake trees and a cardboard village of food stands clogging up the place. Did I mention the Swing Carousel? They had one of those too

It is a good song.  I mentioned it specifically because this is a Rolling Stones fan club, and I figured it was worth noting… And agreed.  I wish concerts like this still happened.

October 21, 2015 at 1:11 pm #24541
    shesarainbow
    Participant

@stoneburst Yes! That is exactly what I’ve noticed.  My aunt actually gave me their music when I was around 16 or 17 years old, but I never remember listening that carefully.  There is clearly a difference in Clapton’s playing in Blind Faith from Cream, but he sounds amazing, and really allows Steve to take over (as if he had a choice…)

October 21, 2015 at 1:23 pm #24543
    Nikkei
    Participant

It is a good song. I mentioned it specifically because this is a Rolling Stones fan club, and I figured it was worth noting… And agreed. I wish concerts like this still happened.

The atonal intro mediocrity factor and the Mick T appearance were almost enough to take us way back… but one could see Mick wore only a recreation of his 1969 Mr Fish dress for HTW, not the original one. Moths??

October 21, 2015 at 1:23 pm #24544
    Breath
    Participant

EC is/was a chameleon…different styles for different bands throughout his career. he’s been a much-maligned figure amongst the general stones fan-base and it saddens me no end.  he never did any harm to anyone.

October 21, 2015 at 1:34 pm #24546
    shesarainbow
    Participant

EC is/was a chameleon…different styles for different bands throughout his career. he’s been a much-maligned figure amongst the general stones fan-base and it saddens me no end. he never did any harm to anyone.

Which I find extremely ironic considering that he was friends with Mick and Keith lol.

October 21, 2015 at 1:42 pm #24547
    Breath
    Participant

EC is/was a chameleon…different styles for different bands throughout his career. he’s been a much-maligned figure amongst the general stones fan-base and it saddens me no end. he never did any harm to anyone.

Which I find extremely ironic considering that he was friends with Mick and Keith lol.

and Ronnie!  and Bill and Charlie!  OMG!  It’s madness, I tell you!

October 21, 2015 at 1:43 pm #24548
    Stoneburst
    Participant

And that he completely changed the vocabulary of blues/rock guitar playing – without him very few of the others would sound the same. It’s like Tod said on the hangout the other way when we were discussing MT’s soloing style – his leads are coherent compositions in their own right and reflect the way jazz guys play and think more than they do the antecedents of rock guitar. Clapton and Mike Bloomfield started all that.

October 21, 2015 at 1:46 pm #24549
    Breath
    Participant

And that he completely changed the vocabulary of blues/rock guitar playing – without him very few of the others would sound the same. It’s like Tod said on the hangout the other way when we were discussing MT’s soloing style – his leads are coherent compositions in their own right and reflect the way jazz guys play and think more than they do the antecedents of rock guitar. Clapton and Mike Bloomfield started all that.

somebody actually listens to me and understands what I say?  wow.   and bloomfield is my #2 alltime fave….thanks for mentioning him.

October 21, 2015 at 1:47 pm #24550
    Breath
    Participant

bloomfield was so far out in front of everyone…what he was listening to clearly weren’t other guitar players but jazz cats like Coltrane….

October 21, 2015 at 6:30 pm #24587
    stonehearted
    Participant

He was enough of a chameleon to be an occasional Stones lead singer. That’s right, he is their former occasional lead singer. Back in their Ealing Club days of 1963, there was an audience member who followed them and who became friendly with the band, a budding young guitarist known to fellow clubgoers as “Eric the Mod”. From time to time when Mick couldn’t make it for a gig, whether because he had a cold or was busy with his studies at the London School of Economics, Eric the Mod would stand in for the gig as their lead singer. That was Clapton. If you haven’t already, you can read about it in this book written by another EOMS forum member:

October 21, 2015 at 6:32 pm #24589
    stonehearted
    Participant

bloomfield was so far out in front of everyone…what he was listening to clearly weren’t other guitar players but jazz cats like Coltrane….

Hey, Tod, what do you think? Sounds like he was a huge influence on Carlos Santana….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaV-S5ivX3E

October 21, 2015 at 8:14 pm #24609
    shesarainbow
    Participant

Mr. Winwood

Attachments:
    October 21, 2015 at 8:16 pm #24611
    shesarainbow
    Participant

Mr. Clapton

Attachments:
    October 21, 2015 at 8:53 pm #24615
    Breath
    Participant

rainbow is in love x2

October 21, 2015 at 8:55 pm #24616
    Breath
    Participant

Hey, Tod, what do you think? Sounds like he was a huge influence on Carlos Santana….

I see where you are coming from – but Carlos had more of a latin/samba orientation…Bloomfield was definitely jazz-influenced….

by the way – East West is one album that any serious music fan needs to own and memorize.  In fact, henceforth I refuse to discuss music with anyone who doesn’t own it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags

Recently Active Members

Profile picture of angee
Profile picture of DandelionPowderman
Profile picture of jasona93
Profile picture of Marianita
Profile picture of Cocaine Eyes
Profile picture of Socrates
Profile picture of stonehearted
Profile picture of OldSoul
Profile picture of keefriffhards
Profile picture of treaclefingers
Profile picture of goo
Profile picture of devdev
Profile picture of StrongBeach
Profile picture of D
Profile picture of Doxa
Profile picture of Z
Profile picture of Nikkei
Profile picture of tauk
Profile picture of Ale Lacasa
Profile picture of Stoneburst
Profile picture of Upgreydd
Profile picture of andrew t
Profile picture of Roll Me
Profile picture of SelenePhoenix
Profile picture of ReginaPhalange
Profile picture of illusion
Profile picture of Ebling
Profile picture of MidnightPeanut
Profile picture of Redhotcarpetred
Profile picture of bluzdude
Profile picture of VT22
Profile picture of detroitken
Profile picture of hwkn
Profile picture of mgarciaisaia
Profile picture of two4fun111
Profile picture of Chris

Mission Statement

This forum is dedicated to an open discussion of all things Rolling Stones.  From new fans to hardcore veterans, everyone is welcome.  Forum is moderated lightly.  The golden rule is in effect. Let the discussions run rampant, as long as personal insults stay at the door!