Bill Wyman – The most underrated Stone of all time.

• October 14, 2016 at 5:19 pm #55494
    D
    Keymaster

Every time I listen to anything from 71/72 I can’t help but appreciate Bill Wyman’s playing.  He is easily the most underrated part of the band.

October 15, 2016 at 11:01 am #55512
    keefriffhards
    Participant

Apart from John Entwistle from the Who i think most bass players are underestimated. Its notable that the Stones have never been as good without Bill. Something often seems missing in their performances and not many people ever consider that its because Bill’s missing. Same with Chuck, they have never Rocked as hard or fast since his arrival. Obviously it may have nothing to do with these missing musicians, its hard to tell. I also think Bobby and Lisa to some extent are missed too,  even if its just a morale boast they gave to band members.

The Stones were on a roll in 2015, but 2016 has seen a decline in performances, could be old age, could be booze and partying, could be they don’t care enough anymore, but its more than likely boredom.

Why don’t they do a tour of blues numbers, from the new album to get the motor running.

Back to your question, could Bill be the most underrated Stone, highly unlikely as personally i regard Mick Taylor as the most underrated guitarist in the world,  let alone as a Stone.. As hard core Stones fans we all know Taylor only too well, but most casual fans wouldn’t recognise his face as a Stone. But yeah sure Bill is very underrated, he always was as i just noticed in the clip above, awesome.

October 19, 2016 at 10:35 am #55603
    andrew t
    Participant

I like this summary:

“Wyman has an innate sense of musicality that makes him the ideal bass player for the Rolling Stones. He understands how to lock in with Watts, compliment the rhythm guitar, leave space at the appropriate moments, and support the song with solid root notes, primal energy, and traditional blues patterns. Wyman tends to settle into bass parts as opposed to bass lines; he doesn’t necessarily play a set “groove” or sequence of notes. Instead, he establishes a somewhat loose, yet clearly distinguishable part that unites all of the musical elements of the song. His part is malleable and reactionary, always going with the flow of the band and often developing in complexity as the song progresses.

Playing with a distinctively “rooted” mindset, Wyman clearly defines the harmony of the song, which happens to be just the right thing for rock and roll. He inherently knows just the right place to jump up an octave, creating a sense of motion even though the harmony remains the same. Though his approach is fairly simplistic in terms of note choice, he has a keen understanding of how to drive a song and use the sound of his instrument.”

Bass Players to Know: Bill Wyman

October 23, 2016 at 5:13 pm #55838
    Upgreydd
    Participant

I love the swing Bill brings to Sweet Virginia:

October 31, 2016 at 2:16 pm #56113
    andrew t
    Participant

November 1, 2016 at 10:21 am #56174
    treaclefingers
    Participant

I think this is probably true…ok then who is most over-rated?  Charlie, Keith, Mick, Brian, Mick T., Ronnie?

If we’re to rate their performance/contribution over the entire time they are with the band….might lead to some bitter discussion I would suspect.

November 1, 2016 at 11:19 am #56175
    andrew t
    Participant

I think this is probably true…ok then who is most over-rated? Charlie, Keith, Mick, Brian, Mick T., Ronnie? If we’re to rate their performance/contribution over the entire time they are with the band….might lead to some bitter discussion I would suspect.

Hmm…You’d think Ronnie would be the answer to that, but he gets slagged too much to be over-rated.  If I had to pick, probably Brian. Dulcimers are over-rated…

November 1, 2016 at 2:54 pm #56187
    Z
    Participant

I think this is probably true…ok then who is most over-rated? Charlie, Keith, Mick, Brian, Mick T., Ronnie? If we’re to rate their performance/contribution over the entire time they are with the band….might lead to some bitter discussion I would suspect.

Hmm…You’d think Ronnie would be the answer to that, but he gets slagged too much to be over-rated. If I had to pick, probably Brian. Dulcimers are over-rated…

The obvious answer is Taylor. If only for the fact that he’s so highly rated. I agree with Andrew about Ronnie, but Brian rating is quite fair imho. Taylor is over-rated.

November 1, 2016 at 5:36 pm #56202
    keefriffhards
    Participant

Arr this is nice, happy birthday bill

November 1, 2016 at 6:00 pm #56205
    Marianita
    Participant

One thing for sure, Blondie Chaplin is the most under-rated

Don't you think it's sometimes wise not to grow up?

November 2, 2016 at 3:04 pm #56229
    Marianita
    Participant

BBB Bring back Bill

https://youtu.be/R4v839tBYx0?t=789

November 2, 2016 at 6:01 pm #56230
    D
    Keymaster

Easily the most underrated Stone.  EASILY.

November 3, 2016 at 10:34 am #56264
    andrew t
    Participant

January 23, 2017 at 6:32 am #59080
    Marianita
    Participant

Oh dear ol’Bill

January 23, 2017 at 3:21 pm #59215
    Marianita
    Participant

January 27, 2017 at 11:44 am #59419
    Breath
    Participant

In time when historians look back on the career of this band, one individual and one individual alone will be regarded as the Greatest Rolling Stone Ever:  Chuck Leavell.  Accept no substitutes.

January 27, 2017 at 11:52 am #59421
    Marianita
    Participant

And the best counting in songs ever. 1-2-3-4. No one Count in songs like Chuck

January 27, 2017 at 11:59 am #59424
    Breath
    Participant

yes!  people forget this fact, nita!  many bands have guys counting in songs like 1-3-7-2 or even 4-7-11-9!   It’s crazy and it ruins EVERYTHING!!

January 28, 2017 at 8:10 am #59456
    Marianita
    Participant

Ha ha Sway is a good song but imagine what a hit it could have been if it was Chuck who counted it in

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags

Recently Active Members

Profile picture of Marianita
Profile picture of Socrates
Profile picture of angee
Profile picture of DandelionPowderman
Profile picture of jasona93
Profile picture of Cocaine Eyes
Profile picture of stonehearted
Profile picture of OldSoul
Profile picture of keefriffhards
Profile picture of treaclefingers
Profile picture of goo
Profile picture of devdev
Profile picture of StrongBeach
Profile picture of D
Profile picture of Doxa
Profile picture of Z
Profile picture of Nikkei
Profile picture of tauk
Profile picture of Ale Lacasa
Profile picture of Stoneburst
Profile picture of Upgreydd
Profile picture of andrew t
Profile picture of Roll Me
Profile picture of SelenePhoenix
Profile picture of ReginaPhalange
Profile picture of illusion
Profile picture of Ebling
Profile picture of MidnightPeanut
Profile picture of Redhotcarpetred
Profile picture of bluzdude
Profile picture of VT22
Profile picture of detroitken
Profile picture of hwkn
Profile picture of mgarciaisaia
Profile picture of two4fun111
Profile picture of Chris

Mission Statement

This forum is dedicated to an open discussion of all things Rolling Stones.  From new fans to hardcore veterans, everyone is welcome.  Forum is moderated lightly.  The golden rule is in effect. Let the discussions run rampant, as long as personal insults stay at the door!