• October 4, 2015 at 5:12 pm #22602
    D
    Keymaster

I’ve been wanting to do this one for a while.  Use the file attachment feature to post an mp3 of an odd/interesting/fun/unique Rolling Stones live performance.  This can be original Rolling Stones songs, covers, whatever.  Just has to be something odd/unique.  I’ll start it off…

The Rolling Stones – 1973 – 01-21 – Honolulu – It’s All Over Now

Attachments:
    October 4, 2015 at 11:00 pm #22619
    stonehearted
    Participant

I’m Alright, performed live in Ireland in 1965 as the audience rushes the stage before the band can finish.

Attachments:
    October 5, 2015 at 12:16 am #22622
    Naturalust
    Participant

Pretty big assumption that we all have some odd and unique Stones music in mp3 format living on our computers. I’m a huge fan but don’t have a bunch of digital Stones bootlegs and unreleased music on my laptop. Doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate those of you who do and I can listen to a song and usually tell what year it was from. Thanks for posting here guys, wish I could contribute more.

October 5, 2015 at 12:34 am #22623
    stonehearted
    Participant

NL, it’s actually very easy to do, through MP3 file conversion. Earlier this evening I had no clue as to how to go about it, but I had something I wanted to contribute so I emailed Drake asking if this could be done through my iTunes. He sent an attachment with a tutorial. So I imported the track from a CD into my iTunes, but first I adjusted the import settings so that it would import as an MP3. Then I copied that file into another folder on my computer, from where I would normally upload other attachments like photos, and this allowed me to change the title of the track so that I could also remove the CD track number.

October 5, 2015 at 1:35 am #22626
    Naturalust
    Participant

NL, it’s actually very easy to do, through MP3 file conversion. Earlier this evening I had no clue as to how to go about it, but I had something I wanted to contribute so I emailed Drake asking if this could be done through my iTunes. He sent an attachment with a tutorial. So I imported the track from a CD into my iTunes, but first I adjusted the import settings so that it would import as an MP3. Then I copied that file into another folder on my computer, from where I would normally upload other attachments like photos, and this allowed me to change the title of the track so that I could also remove the CD track number.

It’s not the technology and file conversion aspect that keeps me from having Stones mp3’s on my laptop. I am actually really experienced in file codec conversions and Digital Audio Workstation editing, etc. I just have so much of my own and friend music on my laptop computer I usually keep my main music library on a completely separate system which I just use for music playback. I actually a not a huge bootleg guy either although I am learning more about them here and elsewhere. I’m always amazed at the boot knowledge some of you guys have, and something I can look forward to learning more about.

FYI, I never use the .mp3 function to initially import stuff I am ripping onto iTunes. I always use Wave or Lossless for importing to have the highest resolution copy I can have. THEN, I select .mp as the import format, right click on a higer res song and select “make a copy”. It will covert your high res tune to .mp3 and you will have two versions of the tune in your itunes library. It only gives you the option to make a copy in the format you have chosen for import which is wy I change that option AFTER I have ripped a better resolution version.   I only use the .mp3 versions to send around or with low memory ipods and stuff and still have the hi res .wav or lossless version to listen to.

October 5, 2015 at 1:50 am #22627
    stonehearted
    Participant

The tutorial Drake sent explains about the file conversion process, and ordinarily I would have imported as a WAV file first and then converted to MP3, but the bootleg source was so grainy to begin with, in this case trying for higher resolution wouldn’t have made a difference, as there was barely any resolution to begin with.

But thanks for the advice–I forgot that you’re a music gear person and recording musician, so of course you would be up on all that stuff.

One thing about this forum is that I’m becoming more tech savvy and computer literate since joining, and you have to be in order to participate in some of the options and functions here. Do you realize that I’m just days away from buying my first smartphone? Quite a stretch for someone who only bought his first CD player in 2004.

October 5, 2015 at 6:41 am #22634
    Breath
    Participant

Quite a stretch for someone who only bought his first CD player in 2004.

CD player?  what exactly do these play?

October 5, 2015 at 11:46 am #22658
    D
    Keymaster

Hang Fire – early version

Attachments:
    October 5, 2015 at 12:00 pm #22660
    andrew t
    Participant

I did this as a lark. Mashed up a couple of takes. Added some of Keith’s guitar track at the end to create more of a Stray Cat Blues coda feel, and made the bass more prominent.

Attachments:
    October 5, 2015 at 12:38 pm #22666
    OldSoul
    Participant

Hang Fire – early version

I smiled all through that. Love that outtake. I can never keep from bobbing my head at the little breakdown.

The sunshine bores the daylights out of me.

October 5, 2015 at 12:39 pm #22667
    OldSoul
    Participant

Oh, my. Think we’ve encountered another software quirk. 😛

The sunshine bores the daylights out of me.

October 5, 2015 at 1:12 pm #22671
    D
    Keymaster

Ha!  You broke it!  We are working on it.  To clarify…  raw HTML code is something I can do, but others cannot.  If everyone could post raw code, it would screw things up bigtime.  =)

October 5, 2015 at 3:48 pm #22675
    Anonymous

Quit messing with The Stones sound.

Tim

October 5, 2015 at 6:24 pm #22676
    stonehearted
    Participant

Under My Thumb live from Altamont Speedway, 1969.

Attachments:
    October 5, 2015 at 6:57 pm #22683
    stonehearted
    Participant

Sympathy For The Devil, also from Altamont.

Attachments:
    October 5, 2015 at 10:35 pm #22685
    D
    Keymaster

Might As Well Get Juined – Live at Madison Square Gardens, night 3, 1998.  The only time it was ever played live.  (Almost no Ronnie in the mix for the whole show)

Attachments:
    October 5, 2015 at 11:26 pm #22688
    Naturalust
    Participant

What’s up with the low Ronnie in the mix? Was he having an off night, pissed off the FOH guy or Mick and being punished? Too drunk to play?  Hard to imagine Keith carrying a whole show these days.

October 6, 2015 at 10:11 am #22713
    D
    Keymaster

What’s up with the low Ronnie in the mix? Was he having an off night, pissed off the FOH guy or Mick and being punished? Too drunk to play? Hard to imagine Keith carrying a whole show these days.

I remember being a lone voice on this issue.  Many people said Ronnie was playing poorly in 97/98/99.  To me, Ronnie was usually playing great, but was too low in the mix to be noticed.  I had a theory that Ronnie was legally required to be 50-60% of Keith’s volume in the mix…  So that he is never the star except on solos.  I still wonder if that is part of his contract…

October 6, 2015 at 10:27 am #22718
    DandelionPowderman
    Participant

I’m A Country Boy from the bootleg «RSVP»

-------------------------------
    BBB - Bring Blondie Back

Attachments:
    October 6, 2015 at 10:29 am #22720
    DandelionPowderman
    Participant

Play With Fire live 1989.

-------------------------------
    BBB - Bring Blondie Back

Attachments:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.