Album Discussion: Goats Head Soup (1973)

• December 5, 2017 at 4:09 pm #72791
    Cocaine Eyes
    Participant

Underrated but an utterly brilliant album. It was difficult to follow EOMS but this album shines with Taylor, the vocals are beautiful, the melodic guitars are sublime, Keith is vulnerable. A perfect album for this season. Please add your thoughts. 

Thanks ~CE ☃️

December 5, 2017 at 4:16 pm #72792
    Cocaine Eyes
    Participant

This one steals my heart away. Comin’ Down Again:

~CE 🌸

December 6, 2017 at 6:36 pm #72798
    Marianita
    Participant

I love this album and maybe the the most played Stones album in my house for the last years. Dancing with Mr.D was a pleasent surprise last tour and they played it well. Now i’m waiting for some more songs from this album to be played live (again or for the first time) as well. I’m sure Keith could give a nice performance of Coming down again. Drop Happy, tired of hearing Keith playing or singing happy in a not so good way. I have a dream someone said, the dream is bring back Taylor and play this album live. And they could play a ten minute long freaky version of can you hear the music, let Taylor out of the cage and we will have a hell of a performance. What song is not to like from this album ?

Don't you think it's sometimes wise not to grow up?

December 7, 2017 at 5:14 am #72806
    Marianita
    Participant

December 7, 2017 at 10:14 am #72821
    Upgreydd
    Participant

GHS is a good album for listening to Charlie Watt’s Drumming.  The Band was hot off the road, in between the 72 and 73 tours and he has his full chops.  You can really hear it throughout.

December 10, 2017 at 10:27 pm #72835
    D
    Keymaster

I find this album to be one of the most interesting releases they have ever put out. Sticky Fingers is aggressive. Exile is dense. Goats Head Soup is a comedown album. As a kid I remember really digging the more ‘rocking’ tunes, but as I got older I really started to enjoy the subtle joys of the more relaxed numbers. Coming Down Again, Can You Hear The Music, Winter…. I’ll listen to this tomorrow…

December 11, 2017 at 4:59 am #72836
    DandelionPowderman
    Participant

There are some fantastic tunes on it (Coming Down Again, Angie, Can You Hear The Music, Heartbreaker, 100 Years Ago, Star Star), but the wholeness of it never really got to me. Undoubtedly, there is a vibe on this album, but some songs just don’t fit in to that (Star Star, Dancing With Mr. D., Angie), either sonically (Angie) or vibe-wise (Silver Train, Dancing With Mr. D.).

Had the rockers been swapped with more melancholic songs, we would have had a very different-sounding Stones masterpiece, imo.

So it might have been a question of going all the way with this one – it could have been a concept-ish album.

Instead we got «Junkie music», according to Keith 🙂

I’m being extremely critical now, as I play GHS regularly. However, it could have been up there with the other classics, and I’m sort of dabbling with the idea of why that didn’t happen…

-------------------------------
    My cards are on the table

December 12, 2017 at 7:29 am #72843
    Marianita
    Participant

There are some fantastic tunes on it (Coming Down Again, Angie, Can You Hear The Music, Heartbreaker, 100 Years Ago, Star Star), but the wholeness of it never really got to me. Undoubtedly, there is a vibe on this album, but some songs just don’t fit in to that (Star Star, Dancing With Mr. D., Angie), either sonically (Angie) or vibe-wise (Silver Train, Dancing With Mr. D.). Had the rockers been swapped with more melancholic songs, we would have had a very different-sounding Stones masterpiece, imo. So it might have been a question of going all the way with this one – it could have been a concept-ish album. Instead we got «Junkie music», according to Keith 🙂 I’m being extremely critical now, as I play GHS regularly. However, it could have been up there with the other classics, and I’m sort of dabbling with the idea of why that didn’t happen…

I have never thought of it as a concept album but it’s a interesting thought, trading Starfucker with Moonlight mile and trading Silver train with Let it loose would have been something. I suggest Keith return to Junk since the most of his/Stones work during Keith’s junk period is awesome, as soon as they “straigtened” up the fun was over but the money kept coming though. I like junkie music, getting drunk and stoned late at night playing velvet underground is highly recommended, Shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather
    Whiplash girl child in the dark, And what costume shall the poor girl wear
    To all tomorrow’s parties, And I guess that I just don’t know
    And I guess that I just don’t know

December 12, 2017 at 9:55 am #72848
    Marianita
    Participant

K&A

December 12, 2017 at 9:58 am #72849
    Marianita
    Participant

Taylor,Taylor,Taylor…………

December 12, 2017 at 10:04 am #72850
    Marianita
    Participant

December 12, 2017 at 3:35 pm #72857
    Cocaine Eyes
    Participant

And the Demos & Outtakes, Goat’s Head Soup:

~CE ☃️

December 12, 2017 at 4:31 pm #72858
    Upgreydd
    Participant

I’ve tried getting into Can You Hear The Music a few times over the years and it didn’t  take.   Its the only song I skip on the album.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags

Recently Active Members

Profile picture of Marianita
Profile picture of Cocaine Eyes
Profile picture of Upgreydd
Profile picture of jasona93
Profile picture of DandelionPowderman
Profile picture of The Gadfly of Message Boards
Profile picture of D
Profile picture of Ale Lacasa
Profile picture of VT22
Profile picture of ReginaPhalange
Profile picture of StrongBeach
Profile picture of Roll Me
Profile picture of Nikkei
Profile picture of angee
Profile picture of illusion
Profile picture of treaclefingers
Profile picture of stonehearted
Profile picture of OldSoul
Profile picture of keefriffhards
Profile picture of goo
Profile picture of devdev
Profile picture of Doxa
Profile picture of Z
Profile picture of tauk
Profile picture of Stoneburst
Profile picture of andrew t
Profile picture of SelenePhoenix
Profile picture of Ebling
Profile picture of MidnightPeanut
Profile picture of Redhotcarpetred
Profile picture of bluzdude
Profile picture of detroitken
Profile picture of hwkn
Profile picture of mgarciaisaia
Profile picture of two4fun111
Profile picture of Chris

Mission Statement

This forum is dedicated to an open discussion of all things Rolling Stones.  From new fans to hardcore veterans, everyone is welcome.  Forum is moderated lightly.  The golden rule is in effect. Let the discussions run rampant, as long as personal insults stay at the door!